SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    "This Funky But Innovative M16 Machine Pistol Was Made For The Bradley Fighting Vehicle"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"This Funky But Innovative M16 Machine Pistol Was Made For The Bradley Fighting Vehicle" Login/Join 
posted
This was first published in 2017.

This Funky But Innovative M16 Machine Pistol Was Made For The Bradley Fighting Vehicle

The M231 may not have been as important to the Bradley as intended but it sure was ahead of its time.

by Tyler Rogoway
Updated on Sep 1, 2017

The Bradley Fighting Vehicle development program is infamous when it comes to convoluted Pentagon procurement initiatives, but it did go on to successfully serve in Iraq during two separate and very different wars. Of all the M2 Bradley’s supposed innovations, one of the most unique accessories that were developed along with it was a funky derivative of the M16 assault rifle tailored for firing from the armored fighting vehicle’s six firing ports. In some aspects, the weapon, although dated by today’s standards, was far ahead of its time when the first Bradleys began being fielded in the early 1980s...

Complete article:

https://www.twz.com/14037/this...ley-fighting-vehicle

Posts: 16033 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was with the Bradley for four years while in the Army during the early eighties. The Bradley was taller and slower than the Abrams tank. I think too many people had their hands in the pie when designing it.

Posts: 174 | Location: Ohio | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce 45/70:
I was with the Bradley for four years while in the Army during the early eighties. The Bradley was taller and slower than the Abrams tank. I think too many people had their hands in the pie when designing it.

Some say the movie "The Pentagon Wars" was a documentary.

They tried to do too much with 1 vehicle.

Posts: 4775 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep they were meant only for the infantry version. The Cavalry version ports were plated up.

Never saw any in person. Bradley had its aspects but yes it was too tall for a recon role.

Posts: 1784 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those little weapons are fun to fire. They go through a magazine in about two seconds. Not the most practical thing, but handy if necessary.

Posts: 2019 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post