SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    .45 ACP rifle...What's your choice?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45 ACP rifle...What's your choice? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if there are ARs chambered for 45ACP that take Grease Gun or HK UMP mags? LWRC comes to mind but I'm not sure if there are others.

Posts: 2011 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the WAY WAY WAY back machine I'm pretty sure I had a cav arms lower that with an adapter took grease gun mags. No memory of the specifics, maybe somebody still does that? I've never heard of it recently, but there are people who build really weird stuff for AR's.
The LWRC is not an AR but does take UMP mags.
Of course you can also do that with a converted USC for not big money.
There are a zillion people who make AR lowers that run glock mags which would of course be the thing to do these days.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11004 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Thompson

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11769 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
Does anyone know if there are ARs chambered for 45ACP that take Grease Gun or HK UMP mags? LWRC comes to mind but I'm not sure if there are others.

I have a CMMG RDB 9mm build that I really like, and it uses the endomag pmag conversions so I can use it on a standard lower. I got to thinking at one point that a similar build in .45 ACP would be pretty sweet, especially as an eventual suppressor host. My research led me to this, which after reading it ultimately made me decided to just be happy with my 9mm...but it might answer some of your questions:

https://thisguysguns.wordpress...45-that-doesnt-suck/

Posts: 8586 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have a Glock 20 the MechTech uppers are worth looking at.
https://mechtechsys.com/cart#!...32373462/category=0l

Posts: 1756 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thompson

The Thompson doesn't take grease gun mags. Is there a conversion (not sure how it might be possible, but OK).

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I shot a copy of the delisle based on the smle rifle. Very cool and exceptionally quiet.

But it was huge

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I had the Beretta CX4 storm carbine in .45ACP. It was so quiet that people approached me and asked if it was suppressed every time I shot it. Downside was that it used Cougar .45ACP mags and those only had a capacity of 8 rounds.

I traded it off and regret it. Wish I still had it. I have two of the 9MM versions.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I had the Beretta CX4 storm carbine in .45ACP. It was so quiet that people approached me and asked if it was suppressed every time I shot it. Downside was that it used Cougar .45ACP mags and those only had a capacity of 8 rounds.

I traded it off and regret it. Wish I still had it. I have two of the 9MM versions.

The CX4 Storm would be high on the list, but it doesn't seem they are making it in .45 anymore.

Posts: 2694 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a company that I completely forgot about called Macon Armory that does all kinds of things AR related, including 45 acp builds. While viewing 92fstech's post and link, (thank you BTW for that info!), the name Macon Armory and Rudi came to mind. So I looked on youtube and sure enough, there was a recent video with one of his products in 45 acp.

Look for: "The Macon Armory AR-45! a PCC Kit in 45 ACP that drops into any AR-15!" Pretty nice carbine there.

Posts: 2011 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Thompson

Thompson, for sure.

But seriously, I always wanted one of the Ruger semi-autos in .44 mag. Much more useful round in carbine than the .45ACP. I don't really have use for it, but that never stopped me.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
There's a company that I completely forgot about called Macon Armory that does all kinds of things AR related, including 45 acp builds. While viewing 92fstech's post and link, (thank you BTW for that info!), the name Macon Armory and Rudi came to mind. So I looked on youtube and sure enough, there was a recent video with one of his products in 45 acp.

Look for: "The Macon Armory AR-45! a PCC Kit in 45 ACP that drops into any AR-15!" Pretty nice carbine there.

Thanks, I'll look into it. I also came across Pro2A Tactical recently. They have a few things that look interesting. The search continues...

posted Hide Post
I *had* a Marlin Camp 45. Fun gun but the filthiest gun I have ever owned/shot. Blowback design. The magazine would be COATED in residue on the outside and inside. The internals bathed in filth. Since I'm borderline OCD about keeping my firearms clean, I had to let it go. 1 hour of shooting led to 2-3 hours of cleaning.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a direct blowback 9mm AR and struggled for 2 years to try to make it even vaguely reliable (and failed). I later purchased a CMMG 9mm Banshee with the "delayed Radial Blowback" action and it has become my favorite AR!
If I were going to get another AR in any pistol caliber, I would avoid direct block back like the plague!! JMO ....

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure what your struggles where, but there a zillion good blowback guns that run fine. Its about the simplest operating system one can have. If you want one in 9mm to run go get one that is proven like a 6951 (10K rounds through mine), or JP or B&T all will give you many rounds of reliable service. Your problems were not the type of operating system. And to the OP most of the .45 options are probably blowback guns. And they run fine.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, hrcjon and others, for continued input...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Not sure what your struggles where, but there a zillion good blowback guns that run fine. It's about the simplest operating system one can have. If you want one in 9mm to run go get one that is proven like a 6951 (10K rounds through mine), or JP or B&T all will give you many rounds of reliable service. Your problems were not the type of operating system. And to the OP most of the .45 options are probably blowback guns. And they run fine.

Let me emphasize, it's "JMO". (If you look at the higher end 9mm PCCs you'll find that HKMP9, JP and (I think B&T) are roller delayed blowback. The Sig 9mm PCC is gas driven while the CMMG is radial delayed blowback.

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can find one the UZI chambered in 45 is a nice pistol caliber carbine, kind of heavy but the weight helps absorb recoil, accurate out to 25 yards, and totally reliable.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
HK USC or the Kriss Vector are the only ones that were on my radar.

Considered both heavily at one time or another, the HK I was going to make into a UMP but got interested in other stuff and put it on the back burner.

A random link article testing 45ACP Carbines here:

https://www.colsontaskforce.org/best-45-acp-carbine/

Posts: 22918 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good article ( above) !

There's more 45acp PCCs out there than I expected. The author claims they are reliable blowback designs (including the Hi Point). YMMV... Smile