SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Paging Benny6 & Arc- M1-A question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paging Benny6 & Arc- M1-A question Login/Join 
posted
I have a Springfield M1A Standard, fiberglass stock. Nothing fancy... It does what I need it to do with Irons, but Im going to toss a scope on it (ACOG)- Probably (99%) a Sladak Airborne mount. This is going to be a 600yd battle rifle, If I want more accuracy, I'll break out one of the bolt guns with good glass.

What kind of Cheek Rest would you recommend?
I'm looking at Fulton Armory:

https://www.fulton-armory.com/...-fa-by-tacpro-1.aspx

or Brady

https://bradleycheekrest.com/M...le-Cheek-rest_c8.htm

or going nylon-

https://www.amazon.com/FUNANAS...porting-goods&sr=1-3

Not really concerned about the price.
What would you recommend?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
With an ACOG, you'll need quite the tall riser. You're taking an optic that's designed to be mounted on a straight-stock rifle with a dramatic sight offset like the AR, and putting it on a drop-comb platform that already struggles with predominately high scope mounting options.

Notice the cheek chin neck weld this guy's having to use... That's going to call for like a multiple inch tall riser in order to achieve a decent cheek weld, whereas the options you've listed only offer 1.75" or less of rise.

Perhaps a low power variable scope (1-4x/1-6x/etc.) with an illuminated reticle, mounted on some low rings, would be a better option? That wouldn't require nearly as dramatic of a riser.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ Neck weld, that's a new one for me.

Maybe something like this could be viable?
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7300009964

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I've never used one, but the Bradley seem to be well regarded.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadlak
1-8 CQBSS Leupold
ARMS #22 medium rings
You will love it.
Tac-Pro works very nicely with this setup.

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a bradly for 6 years now. Dammit I’m old. Super nice product. I’m not 100% sure it’ll get you up as high as an acog requires but I think it’s as good as anything else. I’m super happy with the Bradley.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6969 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info so far.

A little more info-
I got the ACOG from a friend at a price I couldn't pass on! It's a red chevron for a .308 and used about a dozen times, and it's NOT going on the Rem 700, and my M-1A is the only other .308 in my arsenal... AND I have 2 gun builds in a "holding pattern" as we speak, I'm going to kind of hold off on an AR-10/FAL until those are done. After those 2 are done, then it might get tossed on an AR-10, and a different scope on the M-1A, but I can mount whatever the next glass is on the Sladak.

I know it's more of a "chin weld" with that set up, but I can easily deal with it, and have played around with that set up before. However, I want to stay away from "ghetto rigging" it with chunks of neoprene/ rolled up towels duct taped to the stock.

I've made some calls to the guys I used to work with, and they pretty much say "go with what works for you", then spend 2 hours reminiscing about the good old days.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CPDSIG,

Both Tony and I use the Bradley product and are very happy with it. I only live 45 miles from Tony and we shoot frequently.

Hope this Helps...

Wes

Posts: 2427 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Weshowe.
Just ordered one.

Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
The ACOG is not ideal at all for the M14/M1A. What you also don't see in the picture above is that his eye relief is way too far back. Look at the proper eye relief from this guy using an ACOG...

Compare that to the picture of the soldier posted above. Not only does he have improper cheek weld, he also has improper eye relief. Put your ACOG to your eye and see how far you have to be from it for a proper sight picture.

Here's my ideal low-power scope solution...

Or a red-dot on a throw lever...

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5402 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Benny, what mount and rings are you using for that setup? My son wants to scope his with a low power scope.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Benny.
I know it's not an ideal set-up, but the price of the ACOG I couldn't pass on.

I stated before, I've got 2 gun builds in a holding pattern right now, and the LAST thing I need is a 3rd.
I only have two .308's in the collection, and the Rem 700 already has good glass.

Later on down the road, I'll build/buy something else in a .308 and probably switch the ACOG to that, and get a low power for the M1a. But that's not anytime soon.

I know you're a fan of the Sadlak's as far as mounts for the M1a's. A few of my friends that shoot the M1a say the same thing, so I think I'm good to go there. And I can use that mount for any scope I decide to put on it later on.

I see that you have a Bradley on your M1a. Weshowe says that you guys really like them. How much to they move around, or do those Velcro straps really hold it in place?

The only other cheek rests I have experience with are the leather/codura nylon ones that get laced on, or the "field expedient" (aka ghetto rigged) ones that were the made from the neoprene sleeping mats or a rolled up towel and duct taped to the stock.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
The Bradley's are rock solid. The foam rubber insert keeps it glued to the stock.

Tony.

Posts: 5402 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvyhawler:
Benny, what mount and rings are you using for that setup? My son wants to scope his with a low power scope.

It's a Sadlak titanium airborne mount. The steel and standard titanium will work fine. You can't find the titanium airborne as it was a special group buy configuration.

The scope is a Vortex HD Razor Gen II E. Rings are vortex precision matched rings.

Tony.