SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Good Budget Scope for 300 BlackOut SBR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Budget Scope for 300 BlackOut SBR Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
It'll be used for hunting white tails once - twice a year. Maybe a hog if I get invited to a hunt. %99 of shots well under 100 yards.

Other than that pinking at the range or shooting steel out to maybe 300 meters.

Will be suppressed if that matters.

Was thinking Athlon Midas BTR 2.5-15 x 50

2.5x is plenty for close 25 yard snap shots & can dial a little as needed. Dial up the magnification a bit when shooting steel at range.

Subs will probably only be shot to show off the can & that's it.

It is a bit of a pig at 24oz.

Should I just grab a 1-6 PA, Vortex, or Athlon & go on about my business?

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2.5-15x is a huge scope for an SBR 300blk. Way too much magnification. I briefly put a 4-14x scope on my 11" blackout to asses accuracy of various ammo at 200-400 yards. I'm back to a 1-6x now for realistic use. Realistic use for me is up close out to 250 or 300 yards.

IMO you should consider a LPV (1-4x thru 1-6x) or at most a mid-power scope (2-10x).

You're only looking at 100 yards max. You don't need high magnification for white tails and hogs. You don't need high magnification for punch paper, because this ain't the gun for that.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
2.5-15x is a huge scope for an SBR 300blk. Way too much magnification. I briefly put a 4-14x scope on my 11" blackout to asses accuracy of various ammo at 200-400 yards. I'm back to a 1-6x now for realistic use. Realistic use for me is up close out to 250 or 300 yards.

IMO you should consider a LPV (1-4x thru 1-6x) or at most a mid-power scope (2-10x).

You're only looking at 100 yards max. You don't need high magnification for white tails and hogs. You don't need high magnification for punch paper, because this ain't the gun for that.

Yea... you're telling me what I already knew but didn't want to admit. I'll start looking at stuff in the 1-6 / 2-10 range.

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Steiner P4Xi.

I don't own but but I have looked through them. I own the bigger brother T5Xi.

For your stated use I think it would be perfect. You will never regret buying better glass.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Steiner P4Xi.

For your stated use I think it would be perfect. You will never regret buying better glass.

I'm just not sure I can justify putting $600 glass on a $118 upper. Especially to only shoot a few times a year.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:
Steiner P4Xi.

I'm just not sure I can justify putting $600 glass on a $118 upper. Especially to only shoot a few times a year.

DSG Arms regularly has them on sale for around $450. I didn't realize they were $600 most of the time.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I used to think that way.

I have an AR-15 upper that I decided to use in field competition. Cost me a little over $1k, so not cheap. Figured I'd put a decent scope on it, maybe invest another $1k. Upon shooting in a match I realized that the optics that I needed to perform as I intended would cost closer to $2k.

Buy an optic with how you intend to use the rifle/upper. If seeing, identifying, and hitting targets consistently is the goal, then spend accordingly for the glass.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Strike Eagle?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Strike Eagle?

You know.. I was kinda thinking about that one.

This too much scope on the low end @ 2.5? Nikon PROSTAFF 5 BDC Riflescope, Black, 2.5-10x40

I know quality & clarity of glass plays a part in transmission. But for hunting & dawn/dusk wouldn't I typically be better with something with a 40mm objective vs 32mm? Once again I'm asking cause you guys know way more than me.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Not sure why my post was referred for admin review; perhaps because I linked to Optics Planet? If so, I didn’t know that was a thing to be avoided.

I suggest looking at Burris or Leupold 2-7 offerings. They both have solid scopes in your price range, and with excellent “no questions asked” warranty’s.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My vision sucks, which is why my 270 wears a Nikon Monarch 4-20x50 Cool

As long as you're not wanting CQB 1x levels, I think a 2 or 2.5x on the bottom end would be ok.

For me, if/when I build/buy a 300BO, it'll get either just a red dot, or a 1-_x scope, since it'll be an up close rifle/pistol, not a distance shooter. I've got a full size 5.56 & a 270 for that.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
A Redfield 2-7x33 scope should fit your needs nicely. I've got 2 of them on lever guns and they are perfect for the distances you are talking about. They can be had for around $180.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Steiner P4Xi.

Thinking about this further. Do you have other rifles that you shoot more?

A good QD mount and a few notes about repeatable zero shift could get you a good optic that pulls double duty.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Steiner P4Xi.

Thinking about this further. Do you have other rifles that you shoot more?

A good QD mount and a few notes about repeatable zero shift could get you a good optic that pulls double duty.

My primary SBR in 5.56 wears a red dot. I kinda like the way it is set up now. Plus I think I'd rather just set up a rifle and forget it. Grab out of safe & shoot. I'll likely end up with a pistol lower to go with this 300BK upper. So I don't have to go back & forth with uppers.

Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I have a primary arms red dot on my pistol build but you could go with a primary arms compact prism in 7.62X39 acss reticle with 3x power. I have one on a 5.56 rifle and love it. They run $289 right now.

https://www.primaryarms.com/pr...lk-cqb-reticle-black

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
^^^^ I have the same optic on my 8" 300 pistol. It's my favorite by far. Well worth $289.

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 585 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at the primary arms 1x6x24 acss with the predator reticle. Go watch a couple of you tube vids on this.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post