Go ![]() | New ![]() | Find ![]() | Notify ![]() | Tools ![]() | Reply ![]() | |
| Member |
I believe Dwill104 is correct. I'm wanting to make some adjustments on a couple of "pistols" that I have but will wait until a more defining clarification is put out. Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. | |||
|
| Shall Not Be Infringed |
The injunction only addressed NFA side of things and NOBODY knows if the OP is covered by the injunction anyway. Not to mention there's a whole lot of 'ifs' you posted when qualifying your disagreement. The GCA still applies to SBRs, so I assume you saying that anyone (that 'may' be protected) is free to just go ahead and 'make' one even though it's unlawful for a dealer to transfer one without a Form 4 due to 18 U.S. Code § 922 - Unlawful Acts. Seriously, the OP has now purchased his 'one and only, do it all 5.56', so it's a fair assumption he may not be fluent in all the ins and outs of the NFA and GCA regulations. It 'may' be a moot point, but we're talking about the ATF here and I prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to gray areas involving potential Federal Felony Violations. For the record, the Director of the ATF has publicly posted that Guidance from the ATF is coming, so no need to rush things IMO. ____________________________________________________________ If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !! Trump 47....Making America Great Again! "May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20 Live Free or Die! | |||
|
| Member |
Making and selling SBRs are two different things. The GCA provisions, which still are in effect as you noted, deal with dealers selling SBRs. Making and possessing SBRs are covered by the NFA, so yes as silly as it seems you can “make” something that a dealer can’t sell without a Form 4. My qualifications (may, etc.) deal with the fact that the injunctions only apply to specified groups, and without knowing whether the OP is in one of the plaintiff groups, or has a state law that requires registration under the NFA, the injunction may or may not apply to him. It’s as simple as that, not a question of whether it’s legal if you’re covered. But flat out saying you “can’t” do it, period, as you’ve said isn’t correct either. Anyway, I’m not interested in arguing about this, and we’ll just have to agree to disagree. We’ll have to wait and see when/if the ATF comes out with something, and exactly what the guidance covers. It could just be guidance for dealers. | |||
|
| Shall Not Be Infringed |
^^ Yes, can't is somewhat absolute here, I get that, and I may be guilty of in-artful syntax/linguistics with that statement. Distinction without a difference? Perhaps my statement should've read:
Honestly though, there is A LOT of confusion and sufficient questions that remain unanswered on 'exactly' who is and is not covered by the injunction, so lacking a definitive answer from an authority in a position to provide one, there is NO WAY I'd be willing to risk a Federal Felony...AND no way I'd casually suggest otherwise. Better to proceed with caution IMO, especially when posting on a public forum, as some reading might be quick to run with something (misinformation?) that could get them into a LOT of trouble. Plus, I'd hate for anyone engrave a shiny new G$ Lower Receiver if it's completely unnecessary. For the record, here's the post from the Director of the ATF on the subject: https://x.com/ATFDirectorRC/st.../2093499293055307794
Just To Add re: "Making and possessing SBRs are covered by the NFA, so yes as silly as it seems you can 'make' something that a dealer can’t sell without a Form 4." Absolutely 100% correct...And yet people get all twisted into knots re: 922(r) which covers 'importing' certain firearms, with certain characteristics, and still, many feel compelled to count parts, and are seemingly forced to assemble the correct number of USA made (marked?) parts, some of which are unobtanium in order to ensure they're in compliance with 922(r) when modifying such firearms to add certain features to them. Again, we're dealing with the ATF here, and they have an all too well know history that can and should give one pause prior doing anything that's not absolutely black & white...Just Sayin'This message has been edited. Last edited by: nhracecraft, ____________________________________________________________ If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !! Trump 47....Making America Great Again! "May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20 Live Free or Die! | |||
|
| Member |
While 922r does indeed deal with importing certain firearms, it also deals with the making of a firearm that could not be imported under the sporting rules. You can choose to respect the law and 922r or not, I'm not saying anything on that, but it is an applicable statue. “So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.” | |||
|
| Shall Not Be Infringed |
^^ True. I know I started it, and now we're getting off in the weeds here, but... Per the FAQ document re: Final Rule 2021-08F: Question: I POSSESS A PISTOL, WHICH WAS IMPORTED AND THEN SUBSEQUENTLY EQUIPPED WITH A STABILIZING BRACE. DOES 18 U.S.C. § 922(R) APPLY TO MY FIREARM? Answer: No. Section 922(r), in relevant part, makes it unlawful to assemble from imported parts a semiautomatic rifle that is otherwise not importable. The implementing regulations of the GCA at 27 CFR 478.39 provides that a person may not assemble a semiautomatic rifle using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in the relevant paragraphs of the regulation. As discussed in section IV.B.8.e of the final rule, the criminal violation under section 922(r) is for the “assembly” of the semiautomatic rifle; therefore, no modification of such firearm would cure the 922(r) violation because the “assembly” has already occurred. Accordingly, a person with an imported pistol that was subsequently equipped with a “stabilizing brace” will have the same options as anyone else under the final rule. Should that person choose to register the firearm, no further modification of the firearm with domestic parts is required. While the above is specific to SBRs registered during the Amnesty period, a key takeaway is that the ATF is focusing on when one defines the firearm was 'assembled' and of course, what's important is who does the defining. That, and things are not always as black & white as they seem. ____________________________________________________________ If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !! Trump 47....Making America Great Again! "May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20 Live Free or Die! | |||
|
| Member |
OK now we are really drifting. But the amnesty firearms are not the normal case. The ATF ruled they had already been assembled and were already SBR's and that could not be cured. So 922R did not apply subsequently, and also lots of other things that were good like the marking requirement. But a gun you are making (SBR) right now is NOT THAT SITUATION in any manner. You are subject to 922r. You are MAKING it when you file the Form1 (that's its actual purpose) for permission to make it and then subsequently actually make it. Why are you trying to muddy this discussion with the amnesty? I don't get the connection you are trying to make. EDITED to ADD this whole 922r discussion has nothing to do with any gun that is not subject to 922r, which for the OP and just about anyone doing an AR would have no meanining whatsoever... “So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.” | |||
|
| Shall Not Be Infringed |
Correct. The whole point was black & white vs gray areas, and that the ATF has historically been the authority that does the defining. Therefore it would be prudent to wait for 'guidance' from the ATF prior to 'making' SBRs by just slapping short barrel uppers on Title 1 Lower Receivers by those that 'may or may not' be covered by the injunction in SilencerShop/Jensen v. ATF. ____________________________________________________________ If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !! Trump 47....Making America Great Again! "May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20 Live Free or Die! | |||
|
| Member |
on this we fully agree. anyone taking delivery of an NFA item with no path to update the registry to its actually ownership in the registry is just plain dumb (and probably worse) IMO. Anyone making an NFA item without an approved F1 backing it up is equally dumb. “So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.” | |||
|
| Member |
I sign up for GOA and I ordered a pistol brace. When I did the 4473 the lower was marked os other firearm. And go big or go home so I purchased a Huxwrks suppressor. | |||
|
| Shall Not Be Infringed |
____________________________________________________________ If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !! Trump 47....Making America Great Again! "May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20 Live Free or Die! | |||
|
| Member |
I know it is not what you asked but thought I would share. I have the Colt 6933 (11.5”) and love it. I think you can get the complete SBR rifle for about $1350-$1400. Just wanted to provide you with something to consider. | |||
|
| No, not like Bill Clinton ![]() |
I ordered a used 11.5" complete Colt upper From Aim Surplus, going to have fun with this one. Need to find a Colt lower and install a binary https://aimsurplus.com/product...plete-upper-receiver | |||
|
| Lawyers, Guns and Money |
I just bought one! It's the Colt LE6933 M4 Commando with the 11.5" barrel. Now I have to learn what type of optic would be best for it. Any suggestions? "Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." -- Justice Janice Rogers Brown "The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth." -rduckwor | |||
|
| ...and now here's Al with the Weather. ![]() |
I have had a Daniel Defense since 2011. It has been completely headache free. ___________________________________________________ But then of course I might be a 13 year old girl who reads alot of gun magazines, so feel free to disregard anything I post. | |||
|
| I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not |
I usually don't boycott companies but I will never buy a DD rifle. In 2017 they laid off half of their employees with no notice and no severance, while moving into a new factory. They refused to let them out of non compete agreements! Dirtbags imho. https://noveske.com/products/c...rs?460=1312&461=1315 | |||
|
| Powered by Social Strata | Page 1 2 |
| Please Wait. Your request is being processed... |
|

