SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    ACR + ARX = UXR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ACR + ARX = UXR Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted

Posts: 27415 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Neat. HK433 vibes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Andyb,

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3625 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Just saw some reviews, pretty interesting. Cool

Posts: 23162 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
1 price for all 3 calibers, but still too rich for my blood.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15921 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Just saw some reviews, pretty interesting. Cool

The review by the Guns America guy is so typical of the gun rags. Brand new gun and they're all ooh and aah. Just like a kid with with a free new toy. No objectivity whatsoever, when the gun maker sends you a free sample to "evaluate". Listen to what he says on the barrel being made completely in-house, "That's unheard of". Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 27415 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Listen to what he says on the barrel being made completely in-house, "That's unheard of". Roll Eyes

Colt does it, FN does it, Noveske does it, Geissele does it…. I’m sure someone more knowledgeable could go on at length.

Yeah, gun magazines are just paid ads. Ads on most of the pages, and the articles are ads paid for with free guns.

Posts: 17565 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
1 price for all 3 calibers, but still too rich for my blood.

To rich for my blood also, the days of me being able to afford 2000+ firearms has passed :-(

Posts: 1687 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What other similar caliber conversion "systems" were/are there? The ones that come to my mind first are the Modular Carbine and the Windham thing. The Windham system had interchangeable magwells too. As far as large and small frame calibers in one gun, the Colt Modular Carbine did that; it could have had a bunch of calibers, if it had a quick change barrel. Either which way, it seems no one really cares enough about this versatility, for these things to get any real traction; commercial or military.

Both of those were based on an AR upper/lower though. Even though the Modular Carbine could do .308 and 5.56 in "the same gun", it wasn't really, because the uppers were different. So, maybe this thing is breaking ground. Ultimately, no one really wants to shoot 5.56 in a large frame gun, even if it is "versatile".

**Edit** In making it almost halfway through the video on the PWS page, there's no mention of changing recoil assemblies when changing calibers, or talk of gas setting adjustments. "Just change your magwell, barrel and bolt."; how could that be? Also, they don't make any mention of one actually interesting and unique design aspect: the bore evacuator.

They do mention the bore evacuator in the longer Guns America video. I suspect a silencer would render it ineffective, which stinks because that's when you'd want it most. I could be wrong though.

The gas adjustments are not a thing because the gas system is part of the swapped barrel group. I still didn't see mention of recoil assemblies. I admittedly skipped through the video; I did not watch the entire thing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

Posts: 2446 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
Either which way, it seems no one really cares enough about this versatility, for these things to get any real traction; commercial or military.

Both of those were based on an AR upper/lower though. Even though the Modular Carbine could do .308 and 5.56 in "the same gun", it wasn't really, because the uppers were different. So, maybe this thing is breaking ground. Ultimately, no one really wants to shoot 5.56 in a large frame gun, even if it is "versatile".

Agreed. And usually the conversion kit pricing (looking at you SIG) is such that it isn't much of a stretch to just buy another gun, and who wouldn't rather have two?

I did convert one of my guns, a Tavor X95, to .300 BO from 5.56x45. I've never swapped it back, and probably never will.

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
If the street price is $1,800 or less I’d try it. Otherwise, there are too many cheaper options.

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947

Posts: 1956 | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
The review by the Guns America guy is so typical of the gun rags.

Remember the 1990s and Gun Tests magazine? That was the only gun rag that ever gave honest reviews (usually good, but often bad). Also, subscriptions were expensive because A, it had no advertising, and B, they (claimed to) personally bought samples of a gun to be reviewed off the shelf.

Posts: 28528 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post