SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Recommendations for a good 22lr AR upper?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for a good 22lr AR upper? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
5 shot groups usually less than a half inch at 50 yards, sometimes much less.

I have target grade bolt actions (anschutz and walther) that will not deliver that level of accuracy with the ammo that makes any economic sense to use in an AR 'for fun' upper on 'tactical' targets at 50y. It's not needed and it adds nothing to the game. It would be interesting however since I am somewhat of an addict on these .22 AR uppers to hear what ammo delivers 5 shot groups that are 'much less'. And what exactly are the components of your upper (since the mgpcustoms page has nothing). I've built quite a few of these and am always looking for better ideas. If 'much less' is really that and not using silly expensive match ammo feeding from BDM mags then that would be interesting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hrcjon,

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The M&P is okay for short range accuracy, but the rifle is so light it does not mimic an AR-22. Also you cannot put in a real AR trigger. Two friends have one, and one of those is a jam-o-matic.

The M&P 15-22 Sport can accept any real AR trigger. And, I have friends who can screw up a free lunch. Smile

I've recently researched all over this subject and ended up with the sale at PSA. When I went online to register it at S&W, I found out about the $50 rebate. Big Grin

The kids and grandkids are gonna love this thing. It will be their economical gateway to the AR.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CMMG .22 LR barrel with a CMMG bolt group. You can use a standard upper and depending on length you are out under $300 total.

I have one with a 4.5" barrel on an SBR lower. Reliable and accurate. Paid $95 for the barrel and $120 for the bolt group.

Posts: 24 | Registered: January 09, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I don't care about subsonic ammo, but I do have a 22lr can. I just care about shooting reliably, fairly accurate and something that we can practice shooting tactical targets out to 50 yards and practice magazine changes.

Something to develop the motor skills and muscle memory to prepare for a match.

The nice thing is that at the range we go to, we can use the action pistol range with a 22lr rifle. We can't use 5.56 AR's but we can use rifles chambered in pistol calibers.

At the action range, we can set up targets as close as we want and fire as rapidly as we want.

Tony.

The go with a rifle made just for .22LR instead of an upper. The S+W, Colt and Sig 522 will feed most of the bulk .22 LR ammo you can feed it without any hiccups.

go with the Smith,

you can change the trigger on the smith to whatever Ar trigger you like,

if you want precision like fritz mentions, the CLE or if they are still available, Derrick MArtin used to make a good unit (Accuracy Speaks),
not sure if they are still in business,

I was flipping a coin on either the Accuracy Speaks or CLE when I got out of Service Rifle, (time and job constraints)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two trains of thought already written and I agree with.

Easy one is to buy a S&W 15-22 and be done with it. I have two and they are great. I prefer the newer one that came with MLOK furniture. Nice cheap good performer. The other way is to just buy a 22 upper for your AR. Stay away from those conversion units. They suck and the rifling is all wrong so the accuracy is pretty dismal. I have a couple Spikes versions and they needed tweaking to become reliable. I bought a cheapie PSA 22LR pistol upper for my AR pistol and I did change out the extractor but it is a sewing machine now. It is very nice to use the AR lower. I prefer that to the S&W.

I do love the 15-22 mags though. Much better than Black Dog mags. I bought a Boonie Packer Better Mag adapter (or some name like that). Slides into magwell, converts the magwell to 15-22 mag dimensions. Probably best thing you can do to improve reliability.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've been toying for some time now with the notion of putting a .22 upper on my M4 clone. But prices for dedicated .22 uppers are on the high side. With this $299 price on the M&P 15-22 from PSA, I'm wondering if there's any reason why I couldn't buy that, take the plastic lower off and put it in a box in the the corner, and use the M&P upper on a standard AR lower? The lower I'm thinking of has an ALG trigger group in it.

ETA: Is there anybody who sells the M&P without any sights? I'd be taking them off anyway and using an RDS.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
The M&P15-22 upper will not fit any lower other than the M&P15-22 lower...both the upper and lower are dedicated.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The S&W 15-22 will not fit any lower other than the AR15-22 lower...both the upper and lower are dedicated.

The M&P 15-22 magazines don't fit right in an AR15 lower either.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reading skills matter. Boonie Packer sells a "Better Mag" adapter for relatively cheap that converts your AR magwell into 15-22 mag dimensions. It is easily added or removed to convert back to 5.56 mags. I think its about 39 bucks. Nice little addition.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
5 shot groups usually less than a half inch at 50 yards, sometimes much less.

I have target grade bolt actions (anschutz and walther) that will not deliver that level of accuracy with the ammo that makes any economic sense to use in an AR 'for fun' upper on 'tactical' targets at 50y. It's not needed and it adds nothing to the game. It would be interesting however since I am somewhat of an addict on these .22 AR uppers to hear what ammo delivers 5 shot groups that are 'much less'. And what exactly are the components of your upper (since the mgpcustoms page has nothing). I've built quite a few of these and am always looking for better ideas. If 'much less' is really that and not using silly expensive match ammo feeding from BDM mags then that would be interesting.

I have shot several times with a group of guys using high end .22 rifles. My best results were when they gave me some of their quality target ammo to try. However Federal Automatch also has done well. These guys were very impressed with the accuracy of my AR-22.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got this Walther/Colt 22LR AR but I have not fired it yet. Shipping was a mere $10 to my FFL.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/col...__SID=U#.XIfoCChKjct

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post