SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I Have Come To The Conclusion THIS Is The Best Rifle For Me
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Have Come To The Conclusion THIS Is The Best Rifle For Me Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
A Dissipator on an A1 upper.

Keep it simple stupid, rifle stock, carbine length with rifle sight radius.

I am going to build one as there are cheap dissy flat top uppers, lowers ready to go with a rifle buffer tube and the slabside A1 upper is reasonably cheap. I can get out easily for under a grand. I already have the handguards, stock and grip. My surplus store carried them and I bought them years ago.

The new upper, the gas system has been modified to make the short dwell reliable.

Image as example of what I'm wanting to do.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34365 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always had a soft spot for the dissipator; true, mid, and carbine-gas. I've had a few different dissy-based builds, and one still remains. The one I have kept around is the "true" dissipator: 16" barrel with rifle-length gas. It's a sweet configuration for use with a silencer, and it's my only 16" gun. I have never shot it without a silencer; I doubt it would work.

Posts: 2454 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Always liked the A2 lower. I have a Colt SP upper of some sort. Love how light and simple it is. A fan too.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19674 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Those are pretty much the only ARs I’m interested in. Very cool.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3284 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Who are you getting the barrel from? I have been wanting to assemble an A2 dissipator for a while. I’m not sure about gas system or barrel profile. Very few companies assemble uppers without F-marked sights.

Posts: 10039 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My suggestion is to go with an A1 not A2 length fixed stock. Even better are the VLTOR modular fixed A1 stock

Posts: 3368 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I like the the long forearm on a 16” barrel too however most of mine are 15” float tubes, might as well have useable real estate if you’re going to have that much barrel. I wish my eyes we’re still good enough that I didn’t need a scope to shoot with any kind of accuracy past about 50yards

Actually this bottom one is only a 12” barrel …

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5723 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Who are you getting the barrel from? I have been wanting to assemble an A2 dissipator for a while. I’m not sure about gas system or barrel profile. Very few companies assemble uppers without F-marked sights.

This has the modified gas system for reliability.

I'm going to remove the barrel and put it on a slabside A1 upper.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...r-ch-5165449779.html

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34365 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
My suggestion is to go with an A1 not A2 length fixed stock. Even better are the VLTOR modular fixed A1 stock

I have an A1 stock and handguards that I will be using. The stock requires a special spacer.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
Anderson now has true dissipators with rifle length gas. I’ve been toying with the idea of getting one when I saw some reports from SHOT show that Anderson will be releasing A2 uppers this year, so now I’m waiting for that one.

Hands down, the rifle I shoot the most is my 16” match grade fluted barrel AR with Danial Defense iron sights, fixed stock, sling and a can. There is just something about irons that just makes you more in tune with what your body and rifle are doing.

Posts: 850 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shackelford:
Anderson now has true dissipators with rifle length gas.

Well, they don't. Dangit.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Lookit lookit lookit!!!!!

https://palmettostatearmory.co...16e1-lower-gray.html

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Lookit lookit lookit!!!!!

I have one. There's a couple places where they were so close and didn't nail the details, but you're not going to find a better clone of an E1 on the market. That's why I went ahead and got one.

When I finish what I'm putting together, you might find it interesting. I'll post a thread when it's done.

Posts: 17573 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Brownells is selling their A1 605 barrel assembly.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-...6-1-8/?sku=430108315

I’m tempted on it for my A2 build, the delta ring swap should be easy enough. I’m not sure if I want a heavier profile. Normally I go for a light profile, however this build is going to be accessorized with a bunch of retro gear, one being a rather large and heavy infrared light and laser unit. I’m not sure how long I’ll keep it mounted.

Posts: 10039 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
That looks like a very light and handy rifle. I like it quite a bit. I recently bought a new 6920 and had forgotten just how light 16 inch guns are before you hang a bunch of extras on them. Now I want to do a retro build. I'll probably go CAR-15 over Dissipater, but you are tempting me to change my mind.

Posts: 2643 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The PSA upper came in today.

A HUGE bonus is it has a triangle handguard plate on the front sight. I can just stick my handguards on it without removing the front sight.

It also has a low profile mid length gas system and the gas on the front sight is non functional.

Now I am going to order the A1 upper to put this barrel in, then it gets a three prong flash hider.

For the lower, I'm going to cheat and just buy the H&R ready to go.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
You're wrong, that is not the best rifle for you.

This is the internet, so I just feel that had to be said. Carry on.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27119 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Road goes on forever
and the Party never ends
Picture of Dyingtime
posted Hide Post
Whatever you like and shoot well. My favorite is a complete BCM socom M4 upper with front sight and carry handle, not my best one but my “ sit by the bed “ rifle.

" The Road goes on forever and the Party never ends"

Posts: 3301 | Location: Blairsville Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my dissipator. Doesn’t have fixed carry, I’d love to get one. I have a colt detachable carry on it. I saw one of the OG Colt CHP dissy trade ins, just the upper sold for 1800 a few years back on gun joker.

For a rifle that is not an SBR, 16 inches with rifle length irons it’s great. Can even get a foreend that allows attachments if you like.

Posts: 4943 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have a thread where I am working on my build.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!