Let’s play build that rifle. ***UPDATE: Rifle Complete Pg. 4***

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/4630002094

April 20, 2022, 01:35 AM
Legal Beagle
Let’s play build that rifle. ***UPDATE: Rifle Complete Pg. 4***
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Hopefully I’ll have better luck with the BA barrel.

Not to be Debbie Downer, but I started down the exact same route as you and found that running a 16" was subjectively but appreciably less loud than a 14.5" pinned and welded.

I would respectfully suggest a 16” midlength gas system with a click detent adjustable gas block and a muzzle break instead of a flash hider might be worth your consideration, since you are planning to run suppressed the majority of the time.

Having an MRO, I would also suggest that a "go to handy for all times and all purposes" rifle might be better served with a 1-4 or 1-6 LPVO vice an unmagnified optic. A PSA 1-6 FFP with an ACSS reticle would be a good choice for this build.

I found those two changes made my rifle more pleasant to shoot, more reliable, and more capable for engagements from 0-300y with negligible changes in length and weight.

(If you're already into the 14.5 P&W upper, the above would be the second upper that I build for that rifle.)

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.
June 13, 2022, 07:32 PM
Black92LX
Rifle is built!!!!!

So here is the final build configuration:
Wilson Combat Matched Upper and Lower

***UPPER***
Wilson Combat Upper Parts kit
Rock River Arms BCG
Ballistic Advantage 14.5” Hanson Profile Barrel
Ballistic Advantage Low Pro Gas Block
Wilson Combat Medium Length Gas Tube
YHM Flash Hider for Resonator K (Pinned & Welded)
Wilson Combat 12.6” Handguard
Wilson Combat Flip Up Iron Sights
Steiner MRS
Kinetic Development Sidelok Picatiny Riser mount

***LOWER***
Wilson Combat Stock
DSG Arms Buffer Tube
Haley Strategic QD Receiver End Plate
JP H2 Silent Capture Buffer
Wilson Combat Pistol Grip
Wilson Combat Tactical Trigger Guard
CMC Triggers LPK
ALG Defense QMS Trigger

Weight with a loaded magazine is 7.2lbs.

I think I may end up retiring my current duty rifle that has 16 years under it’s belt with a likely average of about 1k rounds a year.
It started life as a simple factory built mid length Rock River Arms gun. After getting the MRO I pulled the front sight base, swapped to a RRA low pro gas block, RRA TRX (think that is the name) hand guard, and RRA Sopmod stock.

Current RRA setup with a loaded mag is 9.8lbs

So thinking after putting this gun through the paces a bit it will become my duty rifle.
Going to try to get into this years rifle course to fully test the rifle but I am going to guess getting into the class will be a big fat No. Since I have already taken the departments rifle course, a rifle course put on by our good friends jljones and DocSteve (haven’t seen him on here in awhile hope he is doing well) we are approaching being 200 officers down, current ammo cost, and I am taking off nearly all of July.

I have not tallied up my cost to build the rifle not sure I want to because I probably could have just bought an FN 15 Tac Duty

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
June 14, 2022, 05:34 PM
mrapteam666
Black92LX

I was going to ask how much it cost to build your set up and if you were able to save money
but then I scrolled back up.
(The pictures caught my attention.)
June 14, 2022, 06:06 PM
powermad
That's a nice looking rifle.

My Wilson 18" upper came in at $900.
$1450 all in for just the rifle using an Aero lower.
June 14, 2022, 06:34 PM
old rugged cross
Any reason you did not use the QD muzzle device for the resonator K mount.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"
June 14, 2022, 06:50 PM
Black92LX
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
Black92LX

I was going to ask how much it cost to build your set up and if you were able to save money
but then I scrolled back up.
(The pictures caught my attention.)

Quick tally without actually looking at receipts I have about $1520 all in.
That includes the BCG I have had for years. There used to be a dude on here called USAGOLD if memory serves correct and he sold RRA parts at great prices. I grabbed a few BCGs from him at like $100 bucks.
I sold a rifle and scope that had become obsolete for me to build this build was almost a wash.

quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Any reason you did not use the QD muzzle device for the resonator K mount.

I did.
This is what I used.
https://yhm.net/sound-suppress...nitro-and-resonator/

————————————————
June 14, 2022, 07:27 PM
nhracecraft
Nice AR Black! Yes, you probably could have just bought an FN 15 Tac Duty, but what's the fun in that... Wink

By the way - I spy two products I use VERY regularly in your pic; M-Pro7 Gun Oil, which I use pretty much anywhere/everywhere I need more than a light gun oil & Sprayway aerosol Glass Cleaner, which I use for MUCH more than just cleaning glass. Touted as 'The World's Best Glass Cleaner', which I discovered it watching Vice Grip Garage, it's powered by 'perfume-grade alcohol', and it's Great Stuff! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
June 14, 2022, 07:58 PM
Black92LX
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Nice AR Black! Yes, you probably could have just bought an FN 15 Tac Duty, but what's the fun in that... Wink

By the way - I spy two products I use VERY regularly in your pic; M-Pro7 Gun Oil, which I use pretty much anywhere/everywhere I need more than a light gun oil & Sprayway aerosol Glass Cleaner, which I use for MUCH more than just cleaning glass. Touted as 'The World's Best Glass Cleaner', which I discovered it watching Vice Grip Garage, it's powered by 'perfume-grade alcohol', and it's Great Stuff! Cool

Though in all reality actually not as the Tac Duty is like $1400.
I still would have to add back up sights, optic, mount, and the YHM muzzle device.

Also I have about $270 in the JP Silent Capture system and the cost to have the muzzle device pinned and welded.
Glad I went the 14.5” route as with the YHM flash hider it is the same length as my RRA with a standard bird cage.
I am really hoping the JP system is worth the scratch.

MPro 7 is my go to stuff.
As for Glass Cleaner I have swapped over to Amsoil.

————————————————
June 14, 2022, 08:25 PM
old rugged cross
This is the one I was referring to:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...021737023?pid=191758

June 14, 2022, 08:38 PM
Black92LX
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
This is the one I was referring to:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...021737023?pid=191758

I have that to put on my LaRue 18” Rifle but the mini is not long enough to get me a non SBR length barrel with the 14.5” barrel.
Also wanted a flash hider and not a brake for this gun.

————————————————
June 14, 2022, 10:51 PM
old rugged cross
Got it, thanks Black.