SIGforum
Noveske 308 at 100 and 200yds with a new load.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/4480048594

October 28, 2022, 09:09 PM
usncorpsman
Noveske 308 at 100 and 200yds with a new load.
This gun shoots extremely well with factory 168gr Federal Gold Metal Match, but at $40 per box, I decided to load my own to see if I could match the performance of the factory load. Varget is my normal go to powder for 308, but it is extremely hard to find around here. There is plenty of Shooters World Precision which is said to be a direct replacement for Varget at a cheaper price. The charge weights are also the same. I used 42gr of SWP with a 168gr SMK and hoped the magic would happen. Needless to say, I was impressed with the results.

The day was very windy with light rain. The first 5 shots at 100yds were centered with a little stringing. I was using a bipod with rear bag, so that could have just been me. They were good enough for me that I just went straight to the 200yd range and fired a 10 shot group. With the exception of one flyer, this group was easily less than MOA. I am extremely happy with how well the new load shot with a 2-10 Vortex Viper PST and bipod.

100yds 5 shots

200yds 10 shots

October 28, 2022, 09:21 PM
sigfreund
Very nice!
Thank you. It is always good to get these reports that provide actual information. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy
October 29, 2022, 05:46 PM
Slippery Pete
Nice job. 200 yard looks excellent. Exactly what I would expect out of that rifle.

Appreciate the post, look forward to more if you get the chance. I spent months deciding if I should get this rifle. I was onto something good it looks like. There wasn't a lot of 1st hand info out there when I was looking.

I got the LMT, it's a pig but shoots too. How's the weight on that sucker? IIRC, it was about 10 lbs naked according to dealer info.

According to Bartocci, the action feels like it's on ball bearings. Would you say that's the case? Just curious.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/
October 30, 2022, 10:57 AM
powermad
That's a nice looking rifle that shoots well.
I wish that scope was still available, I'm liking the 2.5-10 better than a LPVO.
October 30, 2022, 12:58 PM
usncorpsman
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
Nice job. 200 yard looks excellent. Exactly what I would expect out of that rifle.

Appreciate the post, look forward to more if you get the chance. I spent months deciding if I should get this rifle. I was onto something good it looks like. There wasn't a lot of 1st hand info out there when I was looking.

I got the LMT, it's a pig but shoots too. How's the weight on that sucker? IIRC, it was about 10 lbs naked according to dealer info.

According to Bartocci, the action feels like it's on ball bearings. Would you say that's the case? Just curious.

I have owned 2 of the LMT 308’s and they were both very good shooters and heavy as heck. This one is just as heavy and as you stated racking the charging handle feels like it is sliding on ball bearings. I’ve never had a AR pattern gun that smooth.
October 30, 2022, 04:22 PM
Slippery Pete
Thanks for the info. One of these days I need to get my hands on one.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/
December 10, 2022, 09:54 PM
gw3971
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
That's a nice looking rifle that shoots well.
I wish that scope was still available, I'm liking the 2.5-10 better than a LPVO.

Yeah I wish that scope was still available too. I like the 2x10 as well. I picked up a Trijicon credo 2x10 that I'm pretty happy with.
December 10, 2022, 10:21 PM
fritz
quote:

The Vortex Viper PST II 2-10x32 is currently in production and is available through many outlets.
December 10, 2022, 11:09 PM
Vgex
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

The Vortex Viper PST II 2-10x32 is currently in production and is available through many outlets.

I think he’s referring to the Gen 1 which is 18.7 ounces vs the Gen 2 at 26.3 ounces. While on paper all the specs improved, the weight ballooned.
December 11, 2022, 06:24 AM
fritz
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
I think he’s referring to the Gen 1 which is 18.7 ounces vs the Gen 2 at 26.3 ounces. While on paper all the specs improved, the weight ballooned.

I have a Gen 2 2-10x. I don't find it all that heavy of a scope, and it's mounted on a 16" AR15. I've seen the Gen 1 and Gen 2 side by side -- the optics quality improved noticeably with Gen 2, not just on paper.