SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Not ONE, but TWO Whitworth rifles sold.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not ONE, but TWO Whitworth rifles sold..... Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
http://weaponsman.com/?p=39583

A couple of bits of misinformation apart, they get good write-ups. I only hope that they get used again, rather than get hidden in a collection far from a range...

tac
Whitworth #888

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Well? Where's the picture of yours?

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only Muzzleloader I have at this point is a Knight UL. When I see Articles like this I think about getting something more traditional.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Well? Where's the picture of yours?
RMD

Mine is just an ordinary Parker-Hale replication from 1986. Nothin' special like these two gems.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifles, but the author is off-base on the history and use of the military rifles (particularly in regards to the Crimea.)

Posts: 781 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, lovely

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
Lovely rifles, but the author is off-base on the history and use of the military rifles (particularly in regards to the Crimea.)

Indeed he is.

The Crimean War ended in 1856.

The first military trials of the Whitworth rifle were carried out a the School of Musketry, Hythe, in 1857.

It was found to be too finicky in reloading - requires the bullet to be lined up to fit the bore - and prone to fouling in less than four shots.

It also cost around ten times more than the common musket.

None were issued for fighting in colonial wars, certainly not to the Rifle Brigade, who were not deployed on extra-UK duty until the Second Boer War in 1899 -1902.

Some WERE sold to the French [!!!] but they were less than impressed.

The Whitworth rifles that went to the Confederacy were all 'Second Grade' two-band models, and as far as Bill Curtis and DeWhit Bailey can ascertain, less than 100 were actually delivered. They were C-prefix - 450 -550 or thereabouts. They also were devoid of bayonet lugs, and had a very short muzzle protrusion/extra-long nose cap, making the fitting of a bayonet impossible anyhow.

They turn up every now and then - TOTW had once a few years back, but hover around the $100K mark when they do. I know of one that is not only complete with its quartermaster's bill of sale, bill of lading from Liverpool to Charlston and trigger guard hanger, but also the war diary of the young man who shot it for the last couple of years of the WoNA. It has stayed in the same family since those unhappy days. I'm photographed shooting it in Jan Boger's fine book 'Schwarzpulver Digest'.

Now THAT is worth a REAL fortune.

tac

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifles. I would have expected them to sell for much more than $8500-$9000, given the scarcity and condition.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
WoNA

You got that right! I salute you sir, for you are an expert! Thanks for the lesson.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post