SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    A brief FOV comparison
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A brief FOV comparison Login/Join 
posted
I was recently prompted to compare the field of view of three different optics. The results likely won't be surprising to those with greater optics knowledge than I, but I found them informative. The results shouldn't be taken at face value either, as there are trade-offs in other performance aspects that balance things out.

I observed the same area, from the same position, and took note of identifying terrain features at the extreme edges of the FOV of each optic.

FOV, from narrowest to widest, was ranked as follows:
Leupold 6HD Patrol (set to 4x)
Elcan SpecterDR
Trijicon TA01 ACOG

The prisms outperform the LVPO, in FOV, but the LVPO has advantages of more magnification overall, 1x (when compared to ACOG), better eye relief, and a more forgiving eye box. The prisms are shorter and more rugged. The ACOG is the lightest, with the Specter and Leupold+mount being almost identically heavier, but the ACOG is the one without 1x capability as well. Other comparative points are illumination and price point: the Elcan has "daylight bright" ability; the ACOG is the cheapest, while the Elcan and Leupold are very similar, when the Leupold is in a quality mount.

Posts: 2158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
When it comes to optics. Literally everything is a trade off.

More capabilities add more weight. Simpler is USUALLY more rugged. And you get what you pay for.

There are some sweet spots of money vs. performance, and nodes of excellence in different price ranges.

I have reached the point where I would rather have a $1400 optic on a $700 rifle, than vice-versa.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
If you are interested in studying optics and optical performance. Ilya (Dark Lord of Optics on youtube), is an engineer with great perspective and evaluations of optics and their performance.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post