SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ok I admit it, I was wrong. Volkquarten Hammer and Extractor Review
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ok I admit it, I was wrong. Volkquarten Hammer and Extractor Review Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
I have built a 10/22 or three, good barrels, good stocks and most importantly I have always used VQ trigger groups. Both VQ and KIDD trigger groups are awesome pieces of kit but are also not inexpensive in any way. Hell they basically cost as much as the donor rifle.

Over the years I have heard people talk about just throwing a VQ hammer in and how wonderful it is. I sort of blew it off as there is no way just swapping a hammer out is gonna have that much of an impact.

I also have an old 10/22 stainless that I have kept stock as sort of a comparison rifle to the built guns. It has always preferred high velocity ammo to function but as of late was really having some issues so I pulled the extractor and sure enough it was either damaged or out of spec. I figure no worries I will just throw in a VQ extractor and that should take care of it.

Well as I am ordering the extractor I figure since I'm gonna be under the hood anyway, why not try the VQ hammer swap. At worst I am out like $30.00 and chances are I will see some marginal improvement to the shitty stock trigger. So in the cart it goes.

Got the parts today. Installed both and off to the range.

1st-The extractor works perfectly. The gun has never run this well. Ran a variety of ammo lots of it crappy bulk stuff not a single issue. Not only fixed my current issue but she is better then new. $8.00 well spent, but I knew it would be.

2nd-On to the "Magical Hammer". Right I am thinking. Pullleessse. First shot down the tube I was in SHOCK. That one tiny part (I left stock spring) COMPLETELY changed this gun. The trigger pull is so markedly better that I really cannot put it into words. I should have listened and tried this years ago. The trigger packs are still better but they sure as hell are not $200 better.

The break is so light and crisp now I cannot even wrap my head around the fact this is the same rifle. Hell it even made the shitty stock sights bearable.

So here I am hat in hand admitting to all. I WAS WRONG. Replacing nothing more then the hammer in a 10/22 will ABSOLUTELY make a huge difference. The ROI on this is off the charts. It's inexpensive and easy. Cannot ask for more than that.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7684 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Very cool post man!

I still have pre-ban BX-25s(stupid colorado) that need a rifle to feed...

Posts: 5147 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the party. I've tried the full VQ kit but the hammer-only is the best deal and is what all my 10/22s get.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I run several 10/22s with the VQ target hammer. Love it.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
It makes sense to me. The biggest factor in trigger pull/break is the interaction of the sear and hammer. If you change either one to something with a more precise engagement point, it will change the perceived feel of the trigger.

Good to know just how much though, and I appreciate your post. While my son's 10-22 is just a range plinker, we have toyed with the idea of building a more specialized rifle for the future.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Where do you guys recommend picking up the VQ hammer?

I recently picked up a 10/22T with the factory bull barrel. Supposedly it has a target trigger from the factory. Not sure if that means the BX Trigger or something in between.

I just put a Simmons 22 Mag AO scope on it so I can get it to the range now. Will see how the trigger feels then I may replace it with the VQ.

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I bought my last one from MidwayUSA and previously from Shooter's Discount Inc.

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
I bought my last one from MidwayUSA and previously from Shooter's Discount Inc.

Thank you Texas Bob.

Did you replace the bushings along with the hammer? hammer Spring, trigger spring?

I see that all in the kit from Midway.

Thanks again,

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
When I did mine I just replaced the hammer and bushings/shims. I left the springs as I wanted to see what just the hammer would do.

Posts: 7684 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if doing that to a 77/22 would have a similar outcome.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
When I did mine I just replaced the hammer and bushings/shims. I left the springs as I wanted to see what just the hammer would do.

IIRC the Hammer kit still comes with a trigger return spring - maybe you can confirm that?

I recommend using the Ruger return spring, not the VQ spring.

I have seen problems with trigger not wanting to reset with the light VQ spring, and each time the problem was resolved by reinstalling the Ruger spring.

The Ruger spring does not add that much to trigger pull, and positive (unassisted) reset is a good thing.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
It does indeed come with a TRS and hammer spring.

Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I think I just used the hammer and bushings.

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Thanks Texas Bob.

Any thoughts on their picatinney rail? I see two at Midway EGW and VQ. Seems like a good solution for switching optics between RDS and scope, with minimal POI shift. Thoughts anyone!

Apologize for the drift.

Just looking to optimize shipping with my VQ hammer order.
HK Ag

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
Thanks Texas Bob.

Any thoughts on their picatinney rail? I see two at Midway EGW and VQ. Seems like a good solution for switching optics between RDS and scope, with minimal POI shift. Thoughts anyone!
I use this one, which also allows you to remove an optic and still use the iron sights.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Good on you cslinger!

I've been using the hammer kits for years, at first I didn't think it would do much either but after the first one its all I ever used ... I always wondered how it compared to the full kit. While I was "under the hood" I always put in the extended mag release and bolt release ... Even in a brand new gun it's a huge improvement ... All 5 of mine have the upgrades.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Want real perfection? Buy one of the Volquartsen .22 auto rifles. Mine has performed flawlessly for many years now. Gets an annual clean and lube, then put away until the gophers return the next Spring.

Volquartsen has the 10/.22 platform/their clone, figured out.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Well that's all well and good...but for God's sake don't put any VQ stuff in your MK IV 22/45...

I'm just saying you will never be able to shot any other gun again...

Don't

Just

Don't

Smile

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scuttlebutt
posted Hide Post
Thanks cslinger,I too took your advice and dropped in just the VQ target hammer and shims from the kit in an old 10/22 that had a 5-1/2 lb pull and after it is now an even 2 lb.I kid you not.I was astonished.I never would have thought I'd get a reduction of nearly 3.5 lbs.Incredible,I have to do this to my other 10/22's.Thanks again.

"The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese !"

Posts: 1221 | Location: Warner,N.H. | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find this very interesting , thanks for taking the time to share.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54655 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post