SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Tony Ben (Benny 6) DMR M-14 at 600...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tony Ben (Benny 6) DMR M-14 at 600... Login/Join 
posted
Gents,

As you know, I'm a big fan of the M-14 rifle. Particularly, rifles build by Tony Ben, LLC.

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to shoot my M-14 DMR that Tony built. My first chance to shoot the rifle at 600 yards since my initial sight-in and testing at 100 yards.

Here's the 100 group I shot with the DMR:

Here's the 600-yard cold bore shots. No adjustments were made other than to add 15 MOA Elevation. Initial cold bore shots:

So, I'm pretty pleased with the initial cold bore group. Follow on groups were just under 1 MOA at 600 probably due to a pickup in the wind and my lack of practice.

Here's the rifle I used. Tony Ben built the rifle features a LRB M25 action and rail, a Kreiger medium weight barrel, and a McMillan M2A stock. It's a keeper. You've seen it before:

The load used was:

175 Gr. Sierra Match King
41.7 Gr./IMR-4064
IMI Match Brass (Match prep'd/new)
Federal 210 Match Primer
OAL: 2.83"

Overall, a great day. Wish the wind hadn't picked up...

Wes

Posts: 2447 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Benny is a Wizard.

Posts: 4687 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:

Benny is a Wizard.
And a true gentleman. Great guy!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31130 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
What kinda gas system are you using with those 175?

I’m waiting for one (Schuster)to come in stock because I want to add my suppressor to it

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11403 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gents,

I'm using a standard Sedlak titanium gas piston. It works well, tho' I am considering trying a slotted piston or a Schuster adjustable gas plug. Time will tell.

Wes

Posts: 2447 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words and support, my friends!

Always nice to see pics of my work! That was such a sweet build and I remember the day I tested it that I knew it was a hammer.

Mike, it's not typically necessary to run a modified gas piston in a 14 with anything under 175 grains, although I do run all my 14's with a vented piston. I run my 175's pretty warm and I'm getting 2660 FPS at the muzzle with my load.

As for Schuster, nobody knows when they'll make them again. Fulton Armory has stepped up and made a copy in their absence.

https://www.fulton-armory.com/...y-fulton-armory.aspx

https://www.fulton-armory.com/...emadjustablem14.aspx

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5473 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post