SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Your preference: free-spinning or limited rotation QD sockets?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your preference: free-spinning or limited rotation QD sockets? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
Quick detach sockets, usually used for rifle slings, are available in two versions.

The free-spinning type allows a sling swivel to rotate freely, 360 degrees.

The limited rotation allows the swivel to rotate to a limited degree, such as 45°. The swivel can usually be positioned at different angles to the socket, but once it’s inserted it will rotate only a limited amount.

Question:
Which to you prefer: free-spinning or limited rotation?

Choices:
Free-spinning.
Limited rotation.
I like both, it depends on the application.
Doesn’t matter to me which I have.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47360 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I like the limited rotation ones. Helps keep things aligned how I want them and the sling from twisting up.

Posts: 8393 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depending on what I am using it for, I have both. Each one serves a purpose.

Posts: 6838 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
My stocks have limited and free (rear) the front I prefer limited QD or a para clip.

Posts: 1469 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Limited. Prevents the sling from getting tangled.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.
Based on the number of responses versus the number of views, I could get the impression that only a small fraction of us use slings with quick detach mounts.

In any case, I posted the poll to try to get some confirmation of my impression that the limited rotation type is more popular among shooters who use the mounts, and the reason for my question is how uncommon the limited rotation type is among manufacturers. For example, I was just getting a SIGM400 rifle ready for issue and discovered that the QD sockets on the stock are the free spinning type. I don’t know what the current status of Magpul sockets is, but again the ones of theirs I’ve had experience with were also the free type. I imagine the free type is easier to manufacture and probably saves at least 10¢ per unit, but I’d gladly pay whatever the extra manufacturing cost is to get the type I prefer.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47360 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Correction, all of my stocks are free spinning.
None get tangled up as long as the front is limited.
The QD socket in the handguard of the PSA 14.7" upper is limited but I prefer a steel socket for QD or a para clip.

Posts: 1469 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Limited. Prevents the sling from getting tangled.
Yes indeed. Limited rotation also means I can set the swivels in a position that doesn't bind when the rifle is hanging on my body.

Posts: 107234 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on what and where.

I like a limited rotation for a front point.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8314 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Based on the number of responses versus the number of views, I could get the impression that only a small fraction of us use slings with quick detach mounts.

That would describe me. My long guns have slings on fixed points or swivels. I'm not opposed to QD sockets... they actually seem like a nifty idea... but I just haven't gotten around to dipping my toes in the water on this feature yet.

I've been reading the responses with interest.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have switched to QD mounts for most of the guns that I use with slings because it’s often more convenient to remove the sling for cleaning, storage, and activities that don’t benefit from slings. It also makes it possible to use one sling of a special type on multiple rifles.

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
I'm not opposed to QD sockets

I barely remember the last time I used a fixed point sling. I know it was with my first AR15. My first QD was with my first precision bolt action -- a 308 Win, so that dates it. Many, many moons ago.

My first QD button-thingies did not positively engage the socket, especially when they experienced the normal grit & sand we have around here in rifle matches. A little thin oil here and there helped. But I replaced the QD buttons with a little better brand and all has been great now for years.

I wouldn't use anything other than QD mounts now. Have them on all my ARs and bolt actions. With MLok systems the QD mount placements are really flexible.

Posts: 7846 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post