SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Opinion Needed : Best Lube for AR?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinion Needed : Best Lube for AR? Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
I usually just throw what ever I have laying around on it. CLP, etc... But bolt is usually dry'ish when I pull from the safe.

You guys have recommendations on something that'll keep bolt wet? Just curious. Thanks!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Yes, Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil is the best in terms of staying on and maintaining lubrication that I have used....and I have a big collection of gun lubes, cleaners, etc. Pinpoint application is also nice with the needle tip.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I've used Slide Glide ( lite ) consistently on all of my semi-autos, ( ARs included ) for probably the last decade or more with positive results. I used it on my issue weapons while I was in, ( M16, M4, M9 ) in Iraq and Afghanistan. Great stuff!

I kept my personal guns lubed with Slide Glide while I was deployed for a year or more and upon my return, the grease was right were I'd applied it and the guns were instantly ready for the range.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I used to lube my ARs with Mil-Comm MC3000 and the guns I didn’t use frequently were still reliable after long storage periods. More recently I’ve been using Lucas “Extreme Duty” Gun Oil, mainly because of the different forms of packaging it’s available in. If the appearance of wetness is important, it certainly provides that.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CLP for short term storage. When removing from storage, quick check for barrel obstruction and light spray of CLP on bolt before reinserting.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slip 2000 EWL. Works great and is non-toxic so if it spews a bit while firing (like is should with AR's) it won't hurt your health. Great Stuff!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
I still keep a tub of high temp wheel bearing grease around for my ARs. That stuff doesn’t go anywhere. I know there’s great new products out there but it just works.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Best I have used is CherryBalmz grease.

It is a bit expensive but it doesn't dry out, it stays pit, and it stays lubricious when hot and even with a lot of fouling in the rifle. I shoot with a suppressor a lot of the time and let me tell you that changes your definition of what a dirty rifle is.

I also like Lucas Extreme Oil but it has the tendency of oil to creep away. I use that to add some lube during a match or extended range trip.

I have used regular extreme pressure grease and it never gave me a lick of trouble in an AR but my 2011 is a very tight handgun and it caused me problems in cold weather.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I like a light grease. Slide glide, Lucas grease, etc.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig operator:
CLP for short term storage. When removing from storage, quick check for barrel obstruction and light spray of CLP on bolt before reinserting.

^^^^^^^^^^^This.
I do the exact thing.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
Slip 2000 EWL. Works great and is non-toxic so if it spews a bit while firing (like is should with AR's) it won't hurt your health. Great Stuff!

This is what I use, as well. Very happy with it. Excellent lubricant that doesn't wear off. It was recommended by para, I think.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I changed over to Lucas gun oil after reading the owner of Battlefield Vegas posts on another forum. Seems to work as good as anything and it is fairly cheap.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
But bolt is usually dry'ish when I pull from the safe.

I'm guessing you store your AR in the safe vertically, with the muzzle pointed up.

All oils flow with gravity over time. Eventually that means oil will creep down the BCG and into the buttstock's spring area. The lighter the oil and the longer the time the AR rests, the more oil flows away from the bolt. Thicker and more sticky oils will delay the inevitable. I haven't used grease, but when IndianaBoy states that it works, he has my attention.

I store ARs vertically in my safe, muzzle up. After cleaning I use a small amount of oil on the BCG. If the rifle remains untouched for awhile, I realize the bolt won't have much lube on it. Therefore I get in the habit of squirting a little oil in the BCG when I pull the rifle out for a day of shooting. On days that I have forgotten to do this, ARs have shot suppressed for probably up to 200 rounds without issues. This includes both parkerized and coated BCGs.

As far as oils go, Slip 2000 EWL has kept my ARs cycling flawlessly in some pretty nasty conditions -- hot summer temps, windy, dusty, dropping to the dirt for quick-paced precision fire at distant targets, suppressor use, and no time to re-lube between strings of fire.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I been using a thin coat of LSA for over 20 years and never had a problem. Have also used CLP in recent years don't see much of a difference in performance.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m currently working my way through some homemade lube, since my Mil surplus ‘cold weapons oil’ was running low.

Various lube recipes come up with a net search. My main ingredients are 70% Royal Purple 0w synthetic motor oil then 25% transmission fluid(Dex II). The last 5% is just some trace fluids I wanted to include, not important.

Since a few years back shooting hundreds of rounds in a SD prairie dog town I keep my AR a bit on the ‘wet’ side, when shooting a lot between cleaning.

Do I think homemade lube is ‘better’ than so labeled lube, no. On the other hand, lots of ‘gun lube’ is just relabeled, lighter machine oil.

Then we get into specifics of gun care. If storing, one of the greases or long term protection may be called for. For the rest, rountine care ‘trumps’ minor differences in oil.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
The maker of CherryBalmz grease has posted some LONG discussions about grease vs. oil on AR15.com

I find his logic to be sound. And I am impressed with the product although it is a bit expensive.

Oil is, by and large, used in systems where it is contained behind seals and is pumped through filters. Grease is generally used on open systems that slide or rotate. The perseverance of oil as a lube for firearms had to do with the fact that it did work fine so long as it was reapplied after it had flowed away, and that no one had made a grease that was appropriately light enough to not have excessive viscosity for the low amount of energy that is available to cycle many firearms. Especially rimfires.

I have used leftover motor oil from oil changes, CLP, Lucas Oil, Rem Oil, Hoppes oil, and all the little bottles of various stuff you pick up at matches. It all works, but some works much better than others.

Personally I found Breakfree CLP to be the worst lube I have ever tried. It just doesn't lube that well and it is too thin.

Extreme Pressure grease like Lucas red-n-tacky worked fine (in my ARs) BUT it is technically much too heavy of a grease for firearms which have a small window of operation with regard to how much energy they have to overcome the spring tension they are under + friction + the viscosity of the lube.

#2 EP grease caused my very tight 2011 pistol to choke in cold weather at a February USPSA match last year.

I now use the the Cherry Balmz winter balm on that pistol in all weather. It is technically a #0 grease and feels extremely....fluffy.. if that makes sense. It also does not creep away like oil.

The only exception to my recommendations for CherryBalmz is their Bolt Balm for bolt actions. I don't like it at all.

The rest of their products have been exceptional in my experience, and you won't have to worry about pulling a dry rifle out of the safe.

I haven't paid for lube in probably 10 years because of all the stuff I have picked up as free samples at matches. I spent money on CherryBalmz and I will again. Be aware... it is not a very big bottle. But a little goes a long way and it is a good product.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Ive been reading about "Hobo oil" on another site. They are all raving about it.
http://forum.accurateshooter.c...ds/hobo-oil.3971335/

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:

Been using this for years. My primary all around lube. It stays put.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:

same

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I use the Slip 2000 EWL 30 for the AR series and also for the rails of my CZ pistols.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post