SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Wanna build a nice .22LR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanna build a nice .22LR Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
Thinking 10/22. With Kidd parts.

If I buy a factory receiver, what parts are actually gonna increase accuracy?

Barrel and trigger?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
A Kidd barrel and trigger unit are both tremendous improvements over the factory parts. You may also wish to consider their bolt as well. It's beautifully machined and comes complete with extractor and firing pin. And for a few bucks more you can complete the package with their receiver pins and V-Block. It's all money well spent. The only factory part (other than the receiver) I retained on my recent 10/22 project is the charging handle assembly. I chose Kidd's 18" heavy barrel in stainless steel and topped everything off with a Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x33 EFR scope. Of course, your stock and scope options are endless. Have fun!

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Look at Bergara BXR.
It's essentially a 10/22 with the mods you are looking for.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Oh that’s nice, I have one Bergara rifle, quality is excellent for the cost.

Only drawback is it would prevent me from “building” one. Small price to pay, figuratively and literally!

I’ll check them out.

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I built a 10/22 pattern rifle with a Tac-Sol receiver and barrel, and a Volquartsen Trigger Assembly. Currently in a Magpul 10/22 Hunter stock.

Brownells has receivers that are reasonable priced. I'd probably go with them for a general build. Tac-Sol and Volquartsen receivers are pretty pricey now.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I'm in the process of doing this for Appleseed.
Base is 10/22 Takedown.
Now has Magpul Hunter X-22 stock with high cheek piece; GI sling on Magpul QD mounts.
I'm going to use the ACOG instead of the peep sights on this one.
Also have but not yet assembled:
Ruger BX trigger
Kidd recoil rod and springs, auto bolt release
Kidd extended bolt handle
Tacsol extended mag release

for now planning to leave OEM barrel, but would love to hear others' thoughts on barrel replacements:
Carbon fiber tension barrel?
TacSol performance barrel with helical fluting?
Probably prefer it not be a heavy barrel, just more accurate.
How about the Kidd ultralight barrels?

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
IMO, barrel, then trigger.

Rather than build one, 7 or 8 years ago I had Tony Kidd build me a pair of his Supergrade completes, bedded in Boyd Evolution stocks. The only non Kidd parts are the stock and magazines, everything else Kidd. Gave one to my son for his 16th birthday and kept one for myself. One of my favorite rifles, the accuracy rivals my son's Anschutz 1903 bolt rifle.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Tacsol and Volquartsen websites show out of stock in barrels for Takedown model. Kidd doesn’t seem to make one. Brownells also shows none in stock.

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Just looked at Kidd supergrade rifle video and coolguyguns.com website.
Holy moley!
If I get the itch in the future, and if I enjoy .22 target shooting, I might go for one of these.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ruger BX trigger

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
So is a super grade just the same as buying all the kids parts you want and assembling them? Looks to be about the same price either way and they assemble for me.

Not that 10/22 assembly is difficult but the bedded stock is one I’d rather not tackle alone.

Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
So is a super grade just the same as buying all the kids parts you want and assembling them? Looks to be about the same price either way and they assemble for me.

Not that 10/22 assembly is difficult but the bedded stock is one I’d rather not tackle alone.

Unlike a conventional slip-fit 10/22 receiver, the Kidd Supergrade has a quick-change barrel feature. Kidd also offers complete rifles with a conventional slip-fit style receiver.

https://www.coolguyguns.com/RIFLES_c_10.html

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:

Years ago, I think the pricing between parts and complete kind of evened out. I read numerous posts by guys who would buy a Ruger 10/22 and a year later, all of the parts have been replaced by aftermarket stuff. I decided to eliminate that whole process, and yes, I decided I did not want to bed a stock, I've never done it before, so I'll leave it to someone with experience.

The difference with buying parts and a complete is that you'll have to arrange an FFL transfer between Kidd and your own local FFL. Otherwise, it was great to get a rifle all done up, ready to shoot from the get go.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
If you watch Tony Kidd's video on the Supergrade on YT, he emphasizes the ability to change barrels from a heavy match barrel to a superlight barrel for hunting/plinking without removing the action from the stock. Pretty cool.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I think I’ll just go that route then! That seems like a fantastic deal for what you get.

I might just buy a barreled action so I can more frequently scratch my gun buying itch.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OttoSig,