SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Are HK type claw mounts 'return-to-zero'?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are HK type claw mounts 'return-to-zero'? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
I'm first interested in the claw mounts for MP5 type pistols ( SBR'd) , but might add them to HK91 type rifles later.

It'd sure be nice to not have to re-zero.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not in my experience, which is limited to clones. Neither the mounts nor the actual mount points seem like they would be capable.

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of highlander81
posted Hide Post
My experience is with factory HK model 91’s and 93’s, not clones. At one point I had every HK 91 accessory made, including the .22 conversion kit.

We used to shoot 5 shot groups with scoped HK’s removing and replacing the claw mount each shot. They seemed to re zero perfectly, though we were only shooting 100 meters.

Posts: 444 | Location: Southern Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
For an MP5 look for the “B&T MP5 low mount” and use an Aimpoint micro or get an “Aimpoint 30mm wide ring” mount for a tube dot.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used and tested the real HK stuff on my 91. It was not reliably RTZ. But the facts are that the differences were small enough at rifle ranges that I would consider them not an issue on a pistol at all. But as was said above what you want on an MP5 is the B&T and an aimpoint. I can't think of anything else that is in the same league.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I had a real one. It was not RTZ, but out to 200 yards it was about 1-2 MOA group wise. The HK scope had limited windage and elevation settings without loosening the turrets and I think that was the reason why.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SgtGold,

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
My experience is with real HK from the Corps and clone now.

the mounts we used were not true Return to Zero, but were close enough for CQB applications with the tubes we had.

My clone is the same way. A red dot with dismount and remount and be within 2 inches at 25 yds, but there is a noticeable shift, so true zero (especially with a scope) is not possible.

I will add that my experience now is with an aftermarket mount. It is conceivable that there are versions that have better tolerances or setups that do offer true zero, but I paid for a middle of the road set-up, and that's what I got.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
as I said above the real HK stuff is the same. In addition the arms mount I have tested has exactly the same variability. 2" at 25 is useless on a rifle but not so bad on a pistol.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post