SIGforum
Daniel Defense MK18 still a popular option?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/4140084194

April 23, 2022, 11:34 PM
LincolnSixEcho
Daniel Defense MK18 still a popular option?
Anyone still rocking these and if so how do you like it and how’d you spec yours out? Seems like it would never go out of style even with the quad rail vs. todays MLOK rails. Post pics of you got ‘em!
April 24, 2022, 08:08 AM
walker77
I enjoy mine. I have 2. This one is a factory DD MK18 10.3" upper on a Mega Arms lower. Since most of my shooting is within 200 yards this is the rifle I shoot the most in my collection. It does everything I need it to do.

My other is one I pieced together. The only part that is DD is the rail. This is an old picture. It was set up as a 5.45x39 at that time. Now its set up as a 11.5" 5.56 with a piston kit.

April 24, 2022, 12:48 PM
LincolnSixEcho
Those look nice. Wish I could have a can in IL!
April 24, 2022, 01:48 PM
walker77
Move over to Missouri Big Grin
April 24, 2022, 06:20 PM
LincolnSixEcho
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
Move over to Missouri Big Grin

Someday hopefully I’ll get out of IL and enjoy the fruits of a more free state.
April 24, 2022, 08:00 PM
bordeth
Nothing but good things to say about mine. Its a complete DD MK18 factory upper on a PSA lower with a RRA single stage trigger. I have a Trijicon ACOG and Aimpoint T-1 that take turns riding on top. Added a Surefire weaponlight (M-952 I believe; please dont quote me as its in the safe as I write about it.)

One weekend I borrowed by friends Surefire 300 SPS supressor and it was fantastic. Guess I need to add that to the short list as 3-gunning at the range would be a blast.

Every DD product I own has been reliable to fault and cycles with no issues. I have heard of guys complaining of it being overgassed but I cant really say because it cycles pretty much any ammo suppressed or unsuppressed.

One thing I have noticed is that its accuracy for shorty is pretty good even out to around 200-300 yards.

I will say that I am glad I purchased it when I did because I've seen new ones in various classified pages going for prices that would make my wallet pucker.

As the great Ferris Bueller said "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." Big Grin
April 24, 2022, 10:54 PM
LincolnSixEcho
^^^^^ Good info thanks!
April 25, 2022, 12:09 PM
IndianaBoy
DD builds a quality rifle.

I don't know if they are necessarily the best bang for the buck, but they are definitely a good quality.
April 25, 2022, 09:29 PM
CPD SIG
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
Those look nice. Wish I could have a can in IL!

Yeah, this place sucks...
No cans, no full auto, and no SBR...

I can't wait till I can get outta here too!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy
April 26, 2022, 08:38 PM
LincolnSixEcho
What backup irons did the military issue on these? The DD factory ones or troys? Matech?
April 26, 2022, 08:40 PM
bordeth
I believe they were KAC micros.
April 26, 2022, 10:12 PM
LincolnSixEcho
Okay wow just looked them up. Dang about $350-$400 for the set.
May 06, 2022, 10:14 PM
swage
A friend has one that I've shot many times. The rail is large and it's heavy for what it is. I went with an 11.5" BCM with a hammer forged barrel. It's slimmer and lighter and I prefer the length over the 10.3" DD. It cycles smoother and the low profile rail makes it handle better. They are cool however and Brownell's has them for sale a couple times a year.
May 07, 2022, 01:44 PM
P220 Smudge
quote:

Recreating a “Mk” anything is an expensive proposition if you’re looking to do it exactly. My best friend is in the Mk12 game and has some of rarest of the rare - the prices would make your insides hurt.

May 07, 2022, 05:05 PM
fritz
quote:
Seems like it would never go out of style even with the quad rail vs. todays MLOK rails.

Quad rails resulted in a definite leap for AR15 accessories. The concept of quad rails has evolved to many other types of rifles, even if it is done in slightly different ways. Quad rails are functional today, and will remain so for long into the future.

But quad rails have turned into a step in the evolution of handguards, not the end game. MLOK rails are slimmer, easier to grip, weigh less, and are equally functional. My earliest AR15s came with quad rails, and they were very functional with quad rails. When I shot out the barrels of two ARs, I ixnayed the quad rails when the new barrels were installed. Another upper with a quad rail also went to MLOK. At this point I have only one upper with a quad rail. When that upper's barrel is toast, I'll probably just toss the upper, and the manufacturer (LWRC) no longer supports that upper model.

For an older rifle/upper, quad rails still work. But they're getting long in the tooth, compared to MLOK rails.
May 08, 2022, 08:57 AM
Voshterkoff
quote:

I believe they are used because the front sight can be folded in front of a laser.
May 08, 2022, 11:17 AM
ElToro
Local shop has a integrally suppressed DD rifle. DDM4ISR. It’s 16 inch I think. Too bad not a shorty. If your gonna get A tax stamp and wait may as well do 2. The ask is 3500 + gov fees
May 13, 2022, 08:23 PM
ruger357
Ive got one. Great rifle but kind of heavy.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor