SIGforum
Shotgun red dots?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/4110053494

August 23, 2022, 09:04 PM
mike56
Shotgun red dots?
Picked up a Mossberg 940 with the optic cut. Put a mini holsun on it. Comes up nice.
Fire restrictions in N AZ so no outside shooting.Ending soon. Can use steel or paper target

How to zero a shotgun red dot? What range? Will run a box of bird shot thru it to check operation.
Will probably settle on 00 buck and #4 buck.
August 24, 2022, 05:33 AM
Creeping_Death
quote:
How to zero a shotgun red dot? What range?

Before going to the range I lined up the red dot just above the front post of the rifle sights. It was pretty close with rifled slugs at 25 yards, and dialed it in to be right on. I’m content with slugs on at 25 yards!
August 24, 2022, 10:46 AM
Loswsmith
^^^ This is exactly what I did except my dot is green from a Holosun 510.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi
August 24, 2022, 03:52 PM
YooperSigs
Mike56:
If you like, post a range report on your experience with the 940. I have been looking at it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
August 24, 2022, 07:02 PM
hrcjon
I live in a rural heavily wooded area. I zero mine a bit longer at 50y as thats mostly the open sections. But of course it matters (as it always does) what you are intending to do with the gun and it what terrain. If I lived in very open terrain I'd probably go even a bit longer than 50.
But in a house it simply will not matter what you do.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
January 13, 2023, 05:35 PM
Rick_Perry
I have been waiting for my LGS to get a Mossberg 940 Tactical for about 6 weeks. Waiting patiently. These things are pretty scarce.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"
January 13, 2023, 07:08 PM
MikeinNC
We used 14” barreled 870 shotguns in the CG. They came with an ACOG. So they guys were told to use buckshot from 15 yards and in and switch to slugs past that. Most units don’t have access to long ranges and wind up at 25 yds, so the course was written for that.

When the guns showed up at the armory we used a vise to hold the gun, and we bore sighted them at 25 yds with a laser 12gauge insert so we knew exactly where the gun was pointed, then we adjusted the ACOG to that. We didn’t have anywhere inside that was 25 yds long so we rigged a vise to a bench at the firing line on the range at ISCPortsmouth. Then we issued he guns to the units after they qualified.

Invariably they get beaten around and have to be boresighted again.

If I had a red dot on a home defense shotgun I’d set it for the longest possible shot in your house…mines about 15 yds from my couch to the front door.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
January 13, 2023, 08:12 PM
lyman
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:
Picked up a Mossberg 940 with the optic cut. Put a mini holsun on it. Comes up nice.
Fire restrictions in N AZ so no outside shooting.Ending soon. Can use steel or paper target

How to zero a shotgun red dot? What range? Will run a box of bird shot thru it to check operation.
Will probably settle on 00 buck and #4 buck.

well

what load are you using

what purpose is this shotgun?
hunting?
home defense?
tacticool?
comps?

all that matters, as well as the load it is fed,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

January 15, 2023, 07:51 AM
mike56
It's a winner. Dot is very low on receiver and can see fiber optic front.
Seems right on out to 40yards or so. Gun has been flawless in about 100 rounds of shot, buckshot.

Moved from AZ to SC. More houses around so it will take the place of my AZ carbine.