SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Flash hider to bring 14.5" M4 barrel up to legal length
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flash hider to bring 14.5" M4 barrel up to legal length Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted
I have an M4 upper that I'd like to incorporate into a carbine package rather than go the more recent trend of making it a pistol (winkwink)with a brace. Any specific options out there that don't break the bank like a Surefire unit?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
BCM A2X is one of the easier solutions:

BCM Extended A2 Flash Hider

You'll still have to get it pinned and welded to bring the barrel to legal length.

Posts: 2676 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Looks the most like the standard bird cage.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Phantom on my 14.5", it works really well at hiding flash and also isn't expensive. Can't go wrong with the extended A2 either, especially if you are trying to keep that look.

https://www.bravocompanyusa.co...yhm-p/yhm-28-5c2.htm

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I have faxon gunner 14.5 with a pinned and welded brake. Careful if you do it yourself. Too much weld at that end can alter the barrel.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
BCM has a Compensator MOD 1 - 5.56 which will bring a 14.5 to 16"

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I have a pinned/welded Phantom from YHM on my LMT M4 upper. Simple and it gets it to 16”.

+1 to what Strambo said.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17245 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another common option is a Smith Vortex.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/products06.05.html

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can vouch for the BCM A2X, it works well. I’ve compared mine to my Colt 14.5 SOCOM that came with Colts version that has the extension on the solid back part, as opposed to the BCM that has a longer cage part. Both the BCM and Colt work equally well. One thing to consider, if you go with a break, your stuck with it once it’s pinned and welded. (without a hassle to remove) The A2X is the safe inexpensive option.

Posts: 25 | Location: The Hollar  | Registered: January 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by animalhd1:
I can vouch for the BCM A2X, it works well. I’ve compared mine to my Colt 14.5 SOCOM that came with Colts version that has the extension on the solid back part, as opposed to the BCM that has a longer cage part. Both the BCM and Colt work equally well. One thing to consider, if you go with a break, your stuck with it once it’s pinned and welded. (without a hassle to remove) The A2X is the safe inexpensive option.

One advantage that I can see with the Colt version is that you can still attach a suppressor that uses a standard A2 mount because the cage is the same length.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
The Vortex is another good option. They are very well made and can be purchased with pinholes for permanent installs.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17245 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AAC BO (blackout) Reduces the flash signature (if that matters to you). Looks cool too.

http://www.defensereview.com/a...tactical-small-arms/

The link below has a good comparison of various FH.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns....lash-hider-shootout/

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I decided to go with the Extended BCM. Cost was a factor, but I also like the standard bird cage look.

Size difference is negligible.

Pre- BCM, BCM, and standard 16.25 LE carbine. The finished product is almost distinguishable from a standard M4. I like the finished product.

posted Hide Post
Looks good! I like the less expensive options for a pinned muzzle device just in case it has to be cut off for any reason down the road. Hate to do that to a $150+ uber brake.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I put a BCM extended A2 onto a Colt 14.5" 1/12 twist barrel I built into a carbine. I like it.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Looks sharp- I've drilled to fit the pin and seat at the right depth. I'm having the welding done early next week and she'll be ready to rock.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Final product. Not factory gorgeous but functional and, most important, drop in legal on any AR receiver.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
AAC Blackout non-mount is my favorite

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
After seeing the videos of the AAC, the amount of flash reduction still amazes me. If I ever do a new build it will likely be the one I go with.

Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Generic Phantom on sale for $5.99.

http://m1surplus.com/index.php..._75&products_id=3337

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bigboreshooter,

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post