SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Non Piston 516
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non Piston 516 Login/Join 
posted
I have come across an upper receiver marked 'Sig Sauer 516'. Barrel is stainless and marked '.223 Wylde 1:7 SS USA'. Handguard is 10". Has no gas piston assembly but has a gas block and tube installed. So did Sig ever make or convert 516's to Non Piston or was this done by person or persons unknown?

Posts: 7 | Location: Acushnet,Ma USA | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a Bubba build. I don’t think SIG ever made a non-piston 516.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yup.

For the AR-style SIGs, the 516 family is piston driven, and the M400 family is DGI.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I have several 516 uppers....not all are marked 516. It's conceivable that Sig had some extras sitting around and built them as M400's instead.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
The rifle Duster described had a .223 Wylde chamber. SIG produced .556 NATO barrels. It’s a Bubba build.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post