SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Iron-sighted .223 Savage Options or Similar?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iron-sighted .223 Savage Options or Similar? Login/Join 
posted
A buddy has a Savage in .223. It's a model 11 with iron sights and a walnut stock. I'd like to get one similar, but the only iron-sighted model I can find is the Hog Hunter. Reviews I can find say the plastic stock is sub-par and the balance is a bit nose-heavy.

Ideally, I'm looking for an inexpensive ranch-type rifle. What are my options? What are your experiences?

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The CZ 527 has iron sights and a nice walnut stock, and is offered in .223.

(Not exactly "inexpensive" at ~$650, but worth the cost.)

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-carbine-223-rem/

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herknav:

Ideally, I'm looking for an inexpensive ranch-type rifle. What are my options? What are your experiences?

$299 and free shipping.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...gray-5165450088.html

Add a $40 lower and a $10 magazine and you have an excellent ranch rifle for less than a good bolt action and no wood stock to swell if it gets rained on.

I love myself some nice bolt actions, I really do. But the best ranch rifle to throw behind the seat of a truck or in the cab of a tractor is a handy little AR-15.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The CZ 527 has iron sights and a nice walnut stock, and is offered in .223.

(Not exactly "inexpensive" at ~$650, but worth the cost.)

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-carbine-223-rem/

CZ makes a fantastic rifle.

It would pain me to beat one up as a ranch rifle. They are absolutely as tough as nails, but for some reason it doesn't bother me to have an AR that looks like it got drug down a gravel road but it would with a nice CZ.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Mini14?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I have the Savage Hog Hunter, model 11 in .308 and am seriously considering another one in .223. Yes, the stock is a cheap light plastic stock, but the first thing I did was put an aftermarket stock on it and that is exactly what I will do with the .223 when I get one. Iron sights in bolt action center fire rifles are hard to come by and the reason I’ll stick with another Savage.

I also have a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 for a lot more money. If you just want something to bang around on the ranch, you’d be better off with the Savage. Both rifles have nice triggers. I do believe Mossberg makes a bolt action rifle that has iron sights, but I’m going from memory, and that’s never a good thing. Also, the magazine location on the CZ makes it awkward to carry, but not so awkward that you can’t carry it around.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
I have the Savage Hog Hunter, model 11 in .308 and am seriously considering another one in .223. Yes, the stock is a cheap light plastic stock, but the first thing I did was put an aftermarket stock on it and that is exactly what I will do with the .223 when I get one.

May I inquire which stock you went with? Replacing the stock is at the top of the list of mods I need to make to mine. Thanks. (Apologies to the OP for slight thread drift)

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Howa 1500 Hogue is a great choice for a ranch rifle. Out of the box accurate, inexpensive, 3 barrel weights to chose from, and 3 to 10 calibers to chose from depending on barrel weight. I have one in 338 and a 270 Vanguard 2 that Howa makes for Weatherby.

Ruger American Ranch is a great choice for a ranch rifle. OK rep on accuracy, less expensive than Howa, and 6 calibers to chose from.
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
$299 and free shipping.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...gray-5165450088.html

Add a $40 lower and a $10 magazine and you have an excellent ranch rifle for less than a good bolt action and no wood stock to swell if it gets rained on.

I love myself some nice bolt actions, I really do. But the best ranch rifle to throw behind the seat of a truck or in the cab of a tractor is a handy little AR-15.
I have to agree with this. If you want a little more punch, they have this 18" Grendel kit with 2-stage trigger for $449. Add in a $40 lower and a $24 E-lander and you're GTG from varmint to deer.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
I have the Savage Hog Hunter, model 11 in .308 and am seriously considering another one in .223. Yes, the stock is a cheap light plastic stock, but the first thing I did was put an aftermarket stock on it and that is exactly what I will do with the .223 when I get one.

May I inquire which stock you went with? Replacing the stock is at the top of the list of mods I need to make to mine. Thanks. (Apologies to the OP for slight thread drift)

It is the Bell and Carlson Medalist Varmint stock. I was going for a heavy target stock. When I get the Hog Hunter in .223, I will put something much smaller and lighter on it, but the B&C stock has worked out great. Can post a photo if you want, but didn’t want to highjack someone else’s thread.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Thanks wingspar. I'll look closer at that option.

Herknav: When you say "ranch-type rifle" do you mean something that looks like a bolt-action Ruger Ranch rifle with a removable magazine? Or something inexpensive that you can carry around the ranch in your truck, UTV or tractor?

Should you decide to go with the Savage there's some good gouge on stock options and how to shop for Hog Hunter stocks here and also here. I also went to Boyd's website and priced out a Prairie Hunter, Classic and Heritage. After all the required selections each was over $200.

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. You’ve given me a lot to thumb about. To clarify, I’m looking for a truck, tractor, ATV rifle to use on pests of opportunity.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. You’ve given me a lot to thumb about. To clarify, I’m looking for a truck, tractor, ATV rifle to use on pests of opportunity.

In that case I'll second IndianaBoy's suggestion of a plain, basic AR. Opportunity shots on pests will need to be quick, and needing to work a bolt-action rifle will reduce the chance for a follow-up shot.

I carry a <cough cough> High Point 9 carbine <cough cough> in my tractor because its reliable, accurate, and it can't get any more beat up or ugly. The ranch truck usually has either a 300BO pistol or .357 Rossi lever, both with iron sights. I don't have a huge place so I never anticipate shots beyond 100yds. Quite frankly I rarely notice coyotes or foxes when I'm in my tractor, but when I do they're almost within pistol range.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Ideally, I'm looking for an inexpensive ranch-type rifle.

I also recommend an AR-15. If you prefer a more traditionally-styled rifle and aren't overly concerned with accuracy, next is a Ruger Mini-14.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post