SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig 522
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 522 Login/Join 
posted
Any Sig 522 owners out there?
I believe I have one that was made early in production. If I recall, it's the "Classic" version?
I have always wondered why Sig stopped making these. How can you go wrong with 100% reliability and great accuracy out of a cool looking firearm?
Shortly after I got it, I tossed the adjustable stock that it came with (it creaked and flexed) and got a real Sig stock for it. I was also lucky to find a set of Aurora front and rear diopter sights.
I probably only shoot it once a year now, but whenever I do I always think "Now that's a fun gun!" as I put it back in the case.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 03, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Naturally poor sales compared to the 800lb gorillas ultimately killed it. S&W with its 15-22 and of course Ruger and its 10/22 dominated the marketplace in the 522's day just like they still do today. They both had and still have HUGE support in the aftermarket. While the 522's relative pittance of aftermarket support certainly didn't help, and when you could find aftermarket bits they were almost always on the spendier side because they were Swiss SIG takeoff componentry or manufactured parts for those very same rifles. Also what didn't help was that SIG NH back then--when the 522 was still a thing--was nearly just as intolerant of sluggish sales and slow-demand inventory as it is today. Add in any nasty taste from the gun's rough start with its e-clip debacle (an example of SIG NH's notorious early adopter beta-testing "program"), and yeah, the cards were certainly stacked against it.

I have a 522 as well and frankly I don't shoot it all that much either. Mine is a conscious decision; I've gone back to bolt 22s these days and have been generally foregoing my semi-autos, but I have occasionally reached for the 15-22 or my Browning SA22. There nothing inherently wrong with the SIG, but it's got a lot of stuff stacked up against it in its safe that I just never want to spend the time moving out of the way in order to get back to taking that rifle out for a spin. Sadly it's not that special of a shooting experience.

-MG

Posts: 2188 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I bought an early 522 and a 522 pistol that I still have, the carbine went to a new home.

The 522 pistol was sold with a green laser for $499 but most sellers on GunBroker was pulling out the laser and sold them separately. I bought the pistol without the laser for around 200-250, I just remember I had SBR’d it and picked up a used stock and had right at 500 total in it.
Old picture but I still have it and take it out once in a while.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5723 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a 522 that came with a cheap chinese scope and a extra bull barrel. Would love to find some iron sights for it, but hadn't had much luck. It's a fun plinker. I have to remember to take it out to the next range trip.

Posts: 255 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
I have a Green commando that I got from Mississippi Gal a long time ago still shooting and will never sell it.

Posts: 1212 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
Tip for 522 owners: A few yars back, mine stopped extracting properly. I removed the extractor/ejector assembly and spring. Then I took a spring from an AR takedown pin, trimmed it down a bit to fit, and installed it into the Sig522. Worked like a charm, extraction became 100% relaible.

Posts: 4479 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greetings…
All I can say is, SigSauer is horrible when it comes to product support. Sig522 rifles were “non-supported” as far as parts 24mo after production ended. Some items were non-supported (like cheap scopes on Sig522 Target) while still in production… Many Sig556 owners jumped into 522 as a “trainer” - as a matter of fact - Sig “sold” it as such to Agencies…. Interestingly, at the time of 522 release there was barely any parts/support for 556 series. Folder mechanisms (prone to wear and fsilures) and even piston springs were already NA. Whole SigSauer attitude off “sunsetting” entire product lines left a bad taste for Many…. I personally got rid of All my Sig pistols and several rifles because of my frustrations with Sig CS…. Yes, I still have a pair of 522 Target and one 556, however, once these wear out and I run out of spare parts - these will be sold/parted out…. Sadly, 552 Target is the most accurate semi auto in that platform and with a folding stock. Paired with a correct scope - I small game hunt with mine and can do ethical 1-shot DRT out to 150m, yes, with original trigger. Had to drop 2.5mm tiny bearing ball behind each extractor springs to assure extraction (mostly of a life round)…. Magazines (25rd ones) needed to be disassembled and sanded and dry greased. 10rd mags I modified to hold 15rds - for hunting that is the usable size/profile. On the Target models - some idiot decided to omit a locking nipple on that Hogue tube (making stock just flop around unless in a extended/open position. I also mounted accessories rails at 3/6/9 of the Hogue forend.
I am trying to estimate a number of rabbits I have harvested with my 522s and its in a several hundred- so 20’ tube and platform itself sure can deliver both paper results and food.

Posts: 4 | Registered: September 04, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have one of the very first ones.
Probably 10k rounds through it and I have never cleaned it.
It had to go back to Sig as there was some C/E clip issue I don’t recall the exact issue.
I had the 556 LPA 556 rear sight and 556 hooded front sight on it for awhile but even at the lowest adjustment it shot about 1” high so I sold those when I found the 522 specific sights.
Also swapped out the adjustable stock for the Swiss folder.

Bought a ton of 1st gen Black Dog Machine mags that did not work well but they updated the follower to solve the issue and provided me with new followers for all the mags I had for free.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25645 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post