SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig 522
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 522 Login/Join 
posted
Any Sig 522 owners out there?
I believe I have one that was made early in production. If I recall, it's the "Classic" version?
I have always wondered why Sig stopped making these. How can you go wrong with 100% reliability and great accuracy out of a cool looking firearm?
Shortly after I got it, I tossed the adjustable stock that it came with (it creaked and flexed) and got a real Sig stock for it. I was also lucky to find a set of Aurora front and rear diopter sights.
I probably only shoot it once a year now, but whenever I do I always think "Now that's a fun gun!" as I put it back in the case.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 03, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Naturally poor sales compared to the 800lb gorillas ultimately killed it. S&W with its 15-22 and of course Ruger and its 10/22 dominated the marketplace in the 522's day just like they still do today. They both had and still have HUGE support in the aftermarket. While the 522's relative pittance of aftermarket support certainly didn't help, and when you could find aftermarket bits they were almost always on the spendier side because they were Swiss SIG takeoff componentry or manufactured parts for those very same rifles. Also what didn't help was that SIG NH back then--when the 522 was still a thing--was nearly just as intolerant of sluggish sales and slow-demand inventory as it is today. Add in any nasty taste from the gun's rough start with its e-clip debacle (an example of SIG NH's notorious early adopter beta-testing "program"), and yeah, the cards were certainly stacked against it.

I have a 522 as well and frankly I don't shoot it all that much either. Mine is a conscious decision; I've gone back to bolt 22s these days and have been generally foregoing my semi-autos, but I have occasionally reached for the 15-22 or my Browning SA22. There nothing inherently wrong with the SIG, but it's got a lot of stuff stacked up against it in its safe that I just never want to spend the time moving out of the way in order to get back to taking that rifle out for a spin. Sadly it's not that special of a shooting experience.

-MG

Posts: 2068 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I bought an early 522 and a 522 pistol that I still have, the carbine went to a new home.

The 522 pistol was sold with a green laser for $499 but most sellers on GunBroker was pulling out the laser and sold them separately. I bought the pistol without the laser for around 200-250, I just remember I had SBR’d it and picked up a used stock and had right at 500 total in it.
Old picture but I still have it and take it out once in a while.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5712 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a 522 that came with a cheap chinese scope and a extra bull barrel. Would love to find some iron sights for it, but hadn't had much luck. It's a fun plinker. I have to remember to take it out to the next range trip.

Posts: 250 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
I have a Green commando that I got from Mississippi Gal a long time ago still shooting and will never sell it.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
Tip for 522 owners: A few yars back, mine stopped extracting properly. I removed the extractor/ejector assembly and spring. Then I took a spring from an AR takedown pin, trimmed it down a bit to fit, and installed it into the Sig522. Worked like a charm, extraction became 100% relaible.

Posts: 4469 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post