SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Just shot at 500 yds at my range
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just shot at 500 yds at my range Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
So my range has finally (well almost) begun allowing members to shoot at our 300&500 yards ranges….they’ve been doing work like building berms so we can’t shoot the other members playing in other bays….

But today they had a qualifier hosted by the guy who does rifle matches. 14 people turned out to shoot three rounds onto a steel USPSA target.

You were allowed 10 shots, only three had to hit. This was mainly to make sure people knew how to not bounce rounds into the dirt and onto the target and not shoot over the berm and maybe hit someone’s cows down the road.

They made sure we were zeroed at 100. Then we went to the 200 where a few people fell out due to one reason or another. (Guys with hunting rifles that had wood stocks and no bipod, Tasco scopes.)

Ten of us went back to 300 and then 500.

My bipod shit the bed between 300 and 500, with a spring and some other unknown part falling off….another shooter let me use his rear bag and an Atlas Bipod. (I’m gonna need one of those-sometimes being cheap ain’t worth it)

I chrono’d my rounds Thursday and knew my adjustments. Even brought an index card with it and it paid off, cause my phone overheated in the TX sun.

I accidentally put on 1 MOA too much at 500 but figured it out and dialed it back down. Got my 3 dings and now I can shoot whenever I want to.(well after they add six feet of dirt to the berm cause you can see a pistol bay right now)

Pretty excited about it.

Shot a REM 700 in 223, 20” barrel with a suppressor. It’s in a XLR Element chassis. Hand loads. LC brass, Sierra 55 gr Blitzkings, over 28.2 gr Varget for 2837fps.

Had one round that was wonky, but it was most likely me.

Wish I had brought my 243, but I don’t have any rounds. The 223 is crazy light. Two other guys had ARs with 16” barrels and they managed to get it. One guy had to borrow a lead sled cause his scope didn’t adjust properly, but once he was on, he did well. Another kid had a AUG that had a fixed 3 power scope and he almost didn’t, the last round finally connected and he got his last three on steel.

Overall good day.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.
An … interesting qualification method, but glad you made it. It’s a great feeling to realize that we can hit targets at long distances. I believe that many shooters who have the equipment and skills to do it easily tend to forget that most shooters don’t have either.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47413 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Oh I knew I could do it. I’ve shot 500 on a KD range at Camp LeJune and once at a USMC range near Cherry Point.

Mostly I shot at the PD range but we only went out to 200. And I couldn’t shoot farther unless I was on friends property. Just happy my range here has finally gotten it together.

The qual, was really to satisfy the board that we wouldn’t be dropping rounds onto the neighbors…

I used to teach rifle, pistol, shotgun, M60, M240B, MK25, and M2 to sailors…I also had to be able to shoot them.

It’s just after my stroke I was floundering with long range shooting, because I would forget my settings and what I had just dialed in. Our brains are amazing, I’ve been working on how to beat my disability and it worked for me today. I made cheat sheets for my ups and now I don’t have to try and remember.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I made cheat sheets for my ups and now I don’t have to try and remember.

Well good in any event.
As for writing the data down, I am in firm agreement with that. Better to do that and be sure than assume and be wrong.

More than one precision rifle competitor in the videos I’ve seen does that, and they will sometimes even circle the one that applies to a stage to ensure they don’t get confused about the correct one.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47413 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Got my 3 dings and now I can shoot whenever I want to.

Nice! Always good to stretch your legs with longer target distances.

Whenever I'm shooting distant targets in a match, I have some kind of dope card holder with me. There are many options -- on the rifle or on your forearm are commonly used. An on-rifle option that works for me and doesn't break the bank is the Python, by Sidewinder. I use Sidewinders on my ARs.

The following is a dope card system I use on precision rifles. Made by Hawk Hill, it's a bit pricey, but works well. This card was specifically for a training day with targets at 414, 529, 587, 660, and 706 yards. The first column is target distance, the second column lists elevation in MOA for the targets, and the third column is wind holds in MOA for a 10 mph crosswind.

I estimated your ballistics with JBM. Along the lines of my picture above, a possible dope card for you could be in the following format. First column distance in yards....second column elevation in MOA....third column 10 mph wind in MOA.

100____0____1.1
200____1.7____2.4
300____4.5____3.8
400____8.3____5.6
500____13.0____7.7

Posts: 7886 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I spent a couple of hours last Tuesday helping teach a guy how to shoot skeet. He pretty much sucked at hitting moving targets.

But he was primarily a 1,000 yard shooter and spent the time explaining the sport to me and another guy who found it fascinating, especially his explanation of the Coriolis effect on 1,000 yard shooting.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:Another kid had a AUG that had a fixed 3 power scope and he almost didn’t, the last round finally connected and he got his last three on steel.

I love that. I shot at 400m yesterday with a Windham barrel cut down to 10" with a silencer, and an Aimpoint micro with 3x magnifier. I knew my hold, and of the two shots I fired at 400, both hit a 24"Hx18"W plate. I haven't got any time at 500m with that gun yet, and I am sure that's about as far as I'd want to stretch it with only 3x magnification. I definitely can't ID a target out that far, but if I know you're there, I've got you. Stretching out little carbines is awesome. Fun to see how capable they are.

Posts: 2195 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I spent a couple of hours last Tuesday helping teach a guy how to shoot skeet. He pretty much sucked at hitting moving targets.

But he was primarily a 1,000 yard shooter and spent the time explaining the sport to me and another guy who found it fascinating, especially his explanation of the Coriolis effect on 1,000 yard shooting.

Most shooters used to shooting paper will totally suck at shooting Skeet initially. However it only takes 7 or 8 hits to get them hooked and they do improve over time. I started shooting Skeet in 2018 and sucked. However I did manage 8 hits that first day and lots of practice has me shooting in the 20's with the 12 gauge. Where I still totally suck is with the 410 and 28 gauge, darned shot string is so small with the 410 that we sometimes call out "410" instead of "loss" for a miss.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5662 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I got some 500-yard time last fall. Once the first "clang" came back at me, I was as excited as a kid at Christmas! It took a minute to settle back in and get the "boom, wait, clang" going repetitively. Great fun!

God bless America.

Posts: 13519 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post