SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Remington 870 express
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 870 express Login/Join 
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
My Remington Express 12 gauge non tactical would intermittently have a shell hang up in chamber and or not extract properly. I did some research and found this is unfortunately common and the recommendation was to chuck a brass cleaning rod with 0000 steel wool wrapped around a brass jag and with it in a drill ream the chamber for a couple minutes. Additionally, it was recommended to get rid of the cheap MIM Remington extractor and replace it with a Volquartsen model ($20 IIRC). So, I also did that. Time investment 5minutes and $20. Well worth it.

Ive not had any issue with stuck cases or extraction since. I really enjoy mine!

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brother:
I had to polish out some chamber chatter marks to achieve 100% extraction reliability with high brass, but it was easy to do, and is now 100% pump friendly. I like the Express, but that is a known potential issue to be aware of.

I have an Express 870 purchased back in 2000. It's had that issue from day one. I never had it polished because it was only being used as a backup to a Benelli M4. It has a few upgrades. Wilson 2 round extension tube,SpeedFeed stock, Wilson Safety and the Police model extractor and springs.

I had the 870 out this evening and I may send it to Wilson Combat and have them give it the full treatment.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Get a chamber hone.

https://www.brownells.com/guns...x-hone--prod647.aspx

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
My early 90’s scattergun Technologies 870 is built on an express magnum receiver. I know it’s not the same thing, but if they’re good enough for ST then I would have no problem starting with one.

Posts: 2948 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buying anything from Remington today is about equivalent to buying a cheap chinese copy of legendary Remington guns.

If you don't mind spending money replacing the POS extractor, honing the chamber etc they can be made into a reliable weapon but NO WAY would I trust a recently produced Out Of the Box Remington. If you can find a 20-30yr old 870 and build from there you would be much better off.

If you are an OTB type person look into the Benelli SuperNova Tactical instead. Not that they are 100% perfect, always but they are way better OTB than current Remingtons.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
Get a chamber hone.

https://www.brownells.com/guns...x-hone--prod647.aspx

Good recommendation but for most shooters it's probably better to send their gun to a quality smith that already has a hone and knows how to use it properly.........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
It's not rocket science. Honing a chamber with one of these is about the easiest home gunsmithing task anyone could do. Use a copious amount of honing oil and otherwise follow the directions. Anyone comfortable changing out small parts, mounting a scope, etc, can easily hone a chamber.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Micropterus,

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or you can get a Mossberg 590A1. Fantastic weapon that I have had zero problems with...

Posts: 153 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I was going with an 870 I'd only go with something used and older. I would stay far far away from anything from the newer Cerebus takeover guns and newer. Finish issues on rust bucket guns, crap MIM parts and no factory support.

I have a far older express and its been the shotgun I've needed though it doesn't see a lot of time. Make sure it has the flextab system, I believe that's what its called anyways, I'm just having coffee.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I had an early 2000-ish era Express HD and I eventually sold it. I wasn't happy with it compared to the classics. I have three 870's and the youngest one is from the mid-1980's and it's mint.

I'll stick with the classic 870's. This one was born in 1970.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I'll stick with the classic 870's. This one was born in 1970.
Tony.

Those are the ones Remington built their reputation on.
Did Remington even have an Express model back in 1970?

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post