SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger has released the new Marlin 336 .30-30
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger has released the new Marlin 336 .30-30 Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted
I love the 336. My grandfathers was the first rifle I ever shot and was handed down to me several years ago. It was the only center fire lever gun I owned until about 6 months ago when I added a Henry.

I doubt I’ll get a Ruger Marlin anytime soon since I’ve got the old Marlin, but I am excited to see the line reintroduced. And maybe I’ll get myself one in 10 years or so and hand my grandfathers down to my son.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns....le-in-30-30-win/amp/

quote:
From Ruger . . .

Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. is proud to announce the release of the Marlin Model 336 Classic.

“The legendary Model 336 helped to build Marlin Firearms into the iconic American brand that it is today,” said Ruger President and CEO, Chris Killoy. “We have worked for many months on every detail to ensure that Ruger’s reintroduction of this iconic rifle lives up to its stellar reputation.”

Chambered in .30-30 Win., the Model 336 Classic sports a beautifully finished American black walnut stock and forend. Crisp, clean checkering on both the stock and forend improve the appearance and grip of the rifle. The stock’s black pistol grip cap is inset with a Marlin Horse and Rider medallion and the forend is attached using a barrel band.

The alloy steel rifle is richly blued, features a standard-sized finger lever and has a six-round magazine capacity. The 20.25” barrel is cold hammer-forged, which improves longevity and yields ultra-precise rifling for exceptional accuracy. Like the classic 336, this rifle features the gold-colored trigger.

“Our focus continues to be on quality,” continued Killoy. “We remain committed to making firearms that are rugged, reliable and can proudly be handed down for many generations. The Model 336 is no exception.”

The Ruger-made Model 336 Classic is marked “Mayodan, NC,” bears an “RM” or Ruger-Made serial number prefix and features the red and white bullseye in the stock.

Additional models, in different calibers and configurations, will be released throughout the coming year. Due to the anticipated strong demand and the limited quantity of Ruger-made Marlin lever-action rifles, Ruger encourages retailers to contact their distributors for availability and advises consumers not to leave deposits with retailers that do not have confirmed shipments.

To stay up-to-date on future Marlin announcements and learn more about the Marlin Model 336 Classic, visit MarlinFirearms.com, Facebook.com/MarlinFirearms or Instagram.com/MarlinFirearmsOfficial.

Specifications:

Caliber: 30-30 Win
Capacity: 6+1
Stock: American Black Walnut
Finish: Satin Blued
Front Sight: Brass Bead with Hood
Rear Sight: Semi-Buckhorn
Weight:7.5 lb.
Overall Length: 38.625″
Length of Pull: 13.38″
Barrel Length: 20.25″
Barrel: Cold Hammer-Forged Alloy Steel
Twist1:12″ RH
MSRP: $1,239.00

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
While I am a Winchester shooter, I am really impressed with Ruger the last 10-15 years, and what they are doing with Marlin. Cerebus/Freedom Group did a number on many gun brands.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I really like Ruger. A lot of their new models seem to have teething issues early on but their CS is second to none. I also love that they are always innovating and adding new firearms to their lineup.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cerebus/Freedom Group did a number on many gun brands.

Pretty much the kiss of death to anything they touched.

Posts: 10759 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
It is handsome in the promo shots. Hopefully the product that rolls out will be just as nice.

I'll be cruising for one to handle when they are available.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It's very nice looking. I'm glad they went with blued and walnut on these. That MSRP, though...literally 3x what these used to go for just a couple of years ago. Eek If you're in the market for a rifle, that's decent AR or used M1A money. The levergun has a tradition and appeal as a working man's tool. Prices like that turn it into a rich guy's toy.

Posts: 8590 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looks good, could do without the front ring sight IMO.
MSRP is steep

The last 336 I'd looked at, at least 5 years ago was atrocious compared to my mid-90s Marlin (30AW).
The 'wood' felt more like plastic and was more 'blonde'/light color than walnut, the action was extremely rough, very disappointing.

A sub-$1k street price would be good, but still a tough pill to swallow.
IIRC I paid mid 7 for my Tikka & would have a hard time paying more than that for something that's less useful, for me, for deer.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15344 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
1240 bucks? For what?

Ruger knows where they can shove that rifle.

Posts: 107635 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, I was going to say that while I have no interest in a 336, I'll be keeping an eye on customer feedback because I was hoping to be one of the first in line for a .357 1894. That price, though?

Ruger does a lot of things well, but their prices have gone up a lot in the last seven years or so. While a Glock was then, and still is $500-700 depending on what you want, the New Vaquero I bought in 2015 when the MSRP was around $500 has risen to $1,050. That's a hell of a lot of money for a single action revolver. Mine has had problems since I bought it, and I'll be trying out Ruger's legendary customer service because it's boxed up and getting shipped back to NH today. Why? Hammer has always sat biased to one side and rubs on the frame, gripframe was so vigorously polished at the factory that the dimensions are off true and don't fit factory or aftermarket grips flush in any location, the cylinder stop detent was loose and caused binding before it fell out at the range and got lost so the cylinder has free spun almost the whole time I've owned it, the polish on the barrel is really uneven and nearly matte surrounding the front sight, and now the front sight blade is loose and wobbly. Ruger slapped this thing together in a hurry and rushed it out the door. Everyone says they'll make it right, I'm going to find out. That I've had these kinds of problems makes me wonder about these rifles coming out. I know they're made in a different factory, but my experience plus the $1,239 MSRP doesn't give me much hope for an affordable, quality 1894.

Posts: 17166 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Good looking rifle. Absurd price tag. Glad I have my Dad's old JM for when I want to play cowboy.

Plus... crossbolt safety. Ew.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10491 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ruger does a lot of things well, but their prices have gone up a lot in the last seven years or so.

The Ruger price hikes got really bad right around the end of 2019 and beginning of 2020. Everything went up then because of COVID, but Rugers went up more. I remember passing on a Redhawk 45ACP/45 Colt in late 2019 because I thought $850 was too high...5 months later that same gun was $1300. Shortly after that I bought my S&W Model 69 (granted, not exactly the same thing, but a big-bore DA revolver) for $850. S&W had raised their prices maybe 20%...Ruger more like 75% over the same timeframe.

It would be bad enough if that was the only issue, but in my experience Ruger QC has also gone downhill at the same time. I own a bunch of older Rugers that have all been fantastic. I've bought three new ones in the last couple of years, and every single one of them has had issues that required either a trip back to the factory, significant work, or replacement parts to fix.

I'm still a Ruger fan, but they've started to make it kinda hard.

Posts: 8590 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Price of the 45/70 was too high and this is as well. I have a GP100 and a Mark II and those may be my last. Sad there were several others I have eyed over the years.

Posts: 59 | Registered: April 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That MSRP is a punch in the gut. Ridiculous.

Posts: 636 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know high prices are hard to take on everything so I'm not taking a stand on Marlin's prices on their lever guns one way or the other, but I do know that labor, materials, everything has gone up recently.

Evidently a lot of people think that the new Marlins are worth the money, and a lot more. Take for example the new 1895 SBL. MSRP is about $1399. These regularly sell for way over MSRP. Right now GrabAGun is selling them for $2400 and they will sell every one they can get. I've seen them going on Gunbroker for over $3K.

So maybe considering the fact that so many people are willing to pay way over MSRP indicates that the asking price isn't as bad as most people think considering the universal consensus that the quality is light years ahead of the old Marlins.

The way prices on everything are rising, in a few years today's MSRPs will look like a bargain.

Posts: 105 | Registered: November 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Not for that price. Maybe if was half that price.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7947 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
1240 bucks? For what?

Ruger knows where they can shove that rifle.

I wish more people would adopt that position Para, and not just with respect to this rifle. People need to stop buying everything that they possibly can withhold or delay buying. Buy used wherever possible when a purchase must be made. The only cure for all the grossly inflated prices for damn near everything is to stop buying stuff. When demand diminishes sufficiently, prices will go down. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind tha companies Are raising prices well in excess of their input cost increases and realizing greater profit margins. There’s nothing wrong with that but if people really are as pissed off about increased prices as they say they are, then stop buying stuff! Thank you for letting me vent.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish more people would adopt that position Para,

Lots of folks have disposable income and are happy to throw money at they want.
-PS5s/Xbox Series X’s regularly selling at 2-2.5x MSRP for years
-The auto industry putting and getting big mark ups on anything desireable
-Graphics cards trading for black market organ money
-collector toys etc. selling out instantly and reselling at big money.

Guns are no different. There is a ton of folks who have the cash to drop on what they want when they want it. I don’t always like it but free market. Just because I can’t afford or don’t want to pay it doesn’t mean I begrudge those who do. Free market and all. I mean hell it boggles my mind how well $2000-$6000 2011 esqe pistols sell. The money is out there.

On topic that and the 45/70 they released are good looking rifles I don’t have hands on experience but I have a cousin with a “Ruglin” 45/70 and likes it very much and has no complaints.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7685 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
I like Ruger products, pricey but quality guns. I never bought a Rolex, Porsche or took a vacation in some very expensive place. Hence, have enough income to buy Ruger products. Love my 1911 in 10mm.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1560 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For $240 less you can get a Ruger SFAR that is a much better all around rifle.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xray 99:
That MSRP is a punch in the gut. Ridiculous.

I agree. I made a similar comment on another forum and was flamed by Ruger worshippers. To me a big part of the charm of the old 336 was that you could get a dependable rifle at an affordable price.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post