SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My most challenging build yet: The Double-Lug M14 *build complete, range report on page 2*
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My most challenging build yet: The Double-Lug M14 *build complete, range report on page 2* Login/Join 
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Incredibly interesting, and excellent work. I've never seen this done in detail like this. I can see everything and understand why. Thanks for putting this up.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6968 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I got the rest of the build done today and got her tested. I've got a little tweaking to do to the trigger.

Final routing...

Unless you knew what to look for, you wouldn't be able to tell this is a double-lugged rifle. Th routing around the rear lug came out flawless.

Wes was supposed to come to the range, but he got lost on the way and wasn't feeling well anyway.

I forgot my range bag that has all my sandbags, so I had to use the rests that were provided by the range. I had to use my backpack as a rear bag. Not very ideal and I didn't feel like I was on my game today.

The trigger was a little catchy and I need to clean up the break. I had quite a few fliers as I sometimes missed the wall and pulled straight through and fired when I didn't want to. The rifle started out around 1.5" but settled in right at or below 1.0 MOA. This was 175 grain Federal Gold Medal Match.

My 168 grain handloads were all over the place earlier, but as I got used to the trigger and my rifle rest placement, I managed to bring it in under an inch. Four of the five were within 0.6" of each other.

I can see it really wants to shoot better. These were my last 2 groups at the range.

I'm going to clean up the trigger break and try to not forget my sandbags next time. I'm confident that I'll be able to tighten groups up a bit more.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5398 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Benny6 thanks for sharing your work on this project.

Also that range looks fantastic.

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I cleaned up the trigger and packed my proper sandbags to the range this time. I tried again, but at 200 yards this time since I was already dialed in. Still, I was only able to pull off 1 MOA.

However, I do believe the scope may be robbing me of the rifle's ability to group better. It's a SWFA fixed 10X scope that I bought off samplelist to test customer builds. I noticed that when I was shooting at some black diamonds with orange diamonds in the center, the orange diamond was blurred and appeared off center to the 5 o'clock position.

Wes gave me the scope that is intended for the rifle and it's a Leupold LR/T 8-25x. I'll try again with the better scope and see if that improves things. Other than that, I do have a few tricks up my sleeve if I cant' get it to group any better.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5398 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post