SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Brownells BRN-180 Upper For AR Lowers ("Modernized AR-180")
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brownells BRN-180 Upper For AR Lowers ("Modernized AR-180") Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted
I think this is pretty interesting. I'm not familiar with the AR-180 but I like different things and this is a little different. Seems like they packaged the upper pretty nice. I might have to try one of these on a lower I have laying around.

https://www.brownells.com/rifl...facturer_1=BROWNELLS

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Sadly, NoDak Spud's already posted over at arfcom that their 180 receiver won't fit with this upper. Not that I'm heartbroken, but...right side folder, right side folder. Man, I'm excited about this.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
It's interesting for sure, although I'm skeptical as to whom this product may cater to...

It's certainly not going to cater to the retro/collector crowds.

As a "piston AR" there may be some potential marketability for having a side folder feature...

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess this allows for a side folder to be mounted...if anything.

Bingo. Plus there'll be more than a few people thinking in terms of chopping the barrel down. If someone's warped enough, they may also be wondering if the barrel and bolt can be swapped out so that it's possible to rebuild the upper for other calibers - something like this in a 6.8 with a folder might be the dog's wedding tackle.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
If someone's warped enough, they may also be wondering if the barrel and bolt can be swapped out so that it's possible to rebuild the upper for other calibers - something like this in a 6.8 with a folder might be the dog's wedding tackle.

I'd be surprised if someone can pull that off consider the amount of proprietary components involved in the upper...

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I really think it's neat. It just seems so....simple. As I said I like different things. I have a few AR piston guns (factory Colt and a PWS upper on an LMT lower) that scratch my short stroke/long stroke AR itch. Not sure what itch this might scratch, but hey, I'll just have to figure it out Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am all for an AR-pattern rifle with a side folding stock. The price is right and it beats the price of a Sig MCX. Speaking of MCX it would be nice if Brownell's offered a stripped lower with a 1913 rail section where the buffer tube would be...

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
The wacky side charging handle is begging for a piece of clothing or sling to cause a malfunction.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Per the video they'll be offering other options that fit the original Armalite bolts as well.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
The wacky side charging handle is begging for a piece of clothing or sling to cause a malfunction.

never had that issue with my AR18, but I am low speed, high drag and not an operator

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
It's interesting for sure, although I'm skeptical as to whom this product may cater to...

Bingo.

It's a crowded market of ARs right now. Noticeable price cutting among value-line products, and expensive ARs probably aren't selling in any great numbers. This one way for Brownells to differentiate themselves from certain other uppers/rifles.

In my own case, I have plenty of uppers -- mainly DI, but one piston. I see no need to add an AR-180 upper. I won't give me any more accuracy that I already have, it won't make me train any better, it won't give me any advantage in competition, it won't provide any benefits in home defense.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I like it. I don't need one, but I like it.

If they can shorten it to still function as a pistol upper they may sell some. (though I think most AR "pistols" today aren't being used as pistols, so maybe not)

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an original AR180. I also have a couple of AR15s. I like all of them. I have never had any problems with the gas system on either style. I think the most ammo I have put thru an M-16 was about 1200 ads in a day. I had no issues. I like the new Brownells upper. If I looked at it right, it costs about $800.00. That seems like a lot of money to me. I have seen complete AR15s for that. I wish them well, but do not think I will buy one.

Posts: 618 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Dumb question from a guy not in the market.
I have a PSA gen two lower. This would not work in conjunction with it I am assuming?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Per the video, they're designed to work with standard AR15 lower receivers.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I had it in my head the AR180 was .308win

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking if they came at it and made it a left hand charger. Plus folder. There would have been some engineering to do vs just having charging handle hang off the bolt.

BUT: I think a non-reciprocating left hand charger. Would have interested a heck of a lot more people.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I'd be more interested in a BRN-63 a la Stoner 63 series

Cool

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meh. If you want to make an AR-180 clone, make one with a proper 180 lower, side folding stock, and standard 180 handguard.

Don’t see the appeal of this.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I like it. I don't need one, but I like it.

Ditto.

I want it, but I can't explain why.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post