SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SBR - Lower suggestions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SBR - Lower suggestions Login/Join 
posted
I’m planning on picking up a couple of AR lower receivers, at least one of which will be a SBR. I would appreciate some suggestions - there is so much information, and even more opinion masquerading as gospel, that it’s hard to make sense of things. I want a well made foundation that I can tinker with for years to come and that will justify the time and expense of registration. Thanks in advance for your help.

Posts: 986 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Anything in spec. Pick your favorite roll mark and call it good. Not a lot of quality differences in name brand forged lowers. Same for billet, some are more appealing to the eye than others but at the end of the day they are all made of the same material, and is to spec, will serve you well.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sbr'd a PSA lower.

Posts: 286 | Location: midwest | Registered: May 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I agree with Warpig602.

Cmmg
Spikes
Aero
RRA
LaRue

Are a few.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19089 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My two SBR’d lowers are an Aero and a Spikes. Any decent in spec lower will work. Extras like billeted lowers and integral trigger guard are just matters of personal taste. What matters as much is what you put in them. Get a decent LPK and a good trigger.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
WARPIG602, ORC and Dwill104 are all pretty much spot on...now days it can come down to what you can find in stock...
CMMG is showing their stripped AR lowers in stock for $149 with free shipping...I have been pleased with the quality, fit and finish of my CMMG Banshee build Smile...but the same for the AERO, Ballistic Advantage and Anderson lowers I’ve used in my other builds...

https://cmmginc.com/product/lo...ar15-stripped-lower/

Locally any AR lower seems to be forged out of unobtainium...same for many websites Frown
Like Dwill104 said use a good LPK...CMMG seems to have a good one and they can be purchased without paying for a mil-spec trigger group you may not want or need...

https://cmmginc.com/product/lo...15-gun-builders-kit/

RRA makes a good reasonably priced two stage trigger with their National Match trigger group...

https://www.righttobear.com/Ro...igger-p/ar0120nm.htm

so does Tom’s Tactical...

http://www.tomstactical.com/2-...-ar15-group-assembly

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bisleyblackhawk,

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10579 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I’m working on a Rainier Arms lower now and am enjoying the build. It has idiosyncrasies but is a quality build.

Posts: 2390 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with all of the above. I use Veritas for engraving. They're fast and they're cheap and the quality is good.

Posts: 5141 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
As said, for the most part, a lower is a lower.

However, I do prefer some of the billet options out there that offer integrated trigger guards, just as a time saver, since trigger guard install is a big PITA, in my opinion. I also have been getting various billet lowers with ambi bolt releases (which also saves another PITA step in building).

Last thing I'd look for now at this stage in my life is integrated QD cups in the receiver. Not a be-all, end-all, but a value add.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Another option is to buy a factory SBR lower (Colt, Daniel Defense, BCM). While cheap stripped lowers have tripled in price, the same can't be said for factory SBR lowers. Upside: no engraving required as the manufacturer is already on the lower. Downside: you have to file a Form 4 and get the stamp before you can pick it up.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
My SBR is built on a LMT lower, it's been solid from day one.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7627 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I SBRd two Poverty Ponies (aka Anderson Arms). Big Grin

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16172 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is all incredibly helpful. Thank you all for the advice. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Posts: 986 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
May be very tough to find in today's climate, but if you can find a blemished lower from Spikes or Aeroprecision I'd grab it. (Picked one up from Aeroprecision last fall, so it's not impossible).

Over the years I've purchased "blemished" lowers from each of these companies at prices between $50-70 and have honestly been hard pressed to find the imperfections. Plus, all of my guns will be shot, and will inevitably get some scratches, dings, etc. So to have some small blemish really isn't a big deal to me.

Posts: 541 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch 2340:
My SBR is built on a LMT lower, it's been solid from day one.

I cant SBR, as it is verbotten here in Ill. However, I have 2 LMT's and my only complaint is I dont have a 3rd. Solid built, and after years of being beaten like a rented mule, it still goes BANG when I pull the trigger!

Take a look at their MARS Lowers.

https://lmtdefense.com/product/m7lb2z/

or if you really want the SHORT in a sbr:

https://lmtdefense.com/product/m7da4sh/

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8313 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
If I was doing another one I would go with an Aero M4E1 I like the little extra touches on them.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aero M4E1

I like this one quite a lot as well. Fit is spec, but this Aero receiver does deviate (in a good way) from true mil-spec. But pretty much any forged lower will do the job; there's only a small handful of companies that actually make all of the lowers sold on the market. For instance Aero Precision has made PSA's lowers in the past, and probably are still making at least some of them now. These alloy forgers just do a different rollmark for whatever brand that comes a-callin'.

-MG

Posts: 1921 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have built quite a few on Anderson Lowers no issues, no frills, nothing special and all were under $50 and one was a gift.
I just grabbed a LaRue builders kit and their lowers are $199 and the nicest lower I have come across yet.

I also have New Frontier (large frame Glock pattern) and Meridian Ordnance (Colt pattern).
They are somewhere in between the Andersons and LaRue.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25334 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
A lower is a lower... as long as it's in spec. Most of them are not 100% clear of any defect and perfect in every way, it matters WHERE and HOW MUCH they fall out of line as to whether it matters.

And frankly I wouldn't invest the time and money into a Form1 SBR on a lower that I haven't properly checked fit and tolerance.

I've had several Anderson, Aero, Palmetto receivers for <$50. Several have had real issues. Excessive pin bores, tight magwells, loose receiver extension threads, incomplete grip screw threads, fit issues with end plates, mis-located buffer retaining pin holes, etc. Nothing that you can't work around or that will outright cause a failure, but all things that shouldn't be present for an "in-spec" lower, which you may not find from a quick assembly and test fire, and can lead to issues over the next few dozen years of ownership.

If this is a long term investment and not a meme gun I do not understand wanting the cheapest receiver possible that has a much higher likelihood of having issues vs. spending the extra $50 on something that actually has a chance of going through QC checks before shipping to you.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Yes, while the exact lower isn't that important, do assemble it and shoot it with a known good upper 1st just to make sure it has no issues before you go through the time, $, and hassle of SBR-ing it!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post