SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Marked one off the list today… Marlin / Ruger 1895
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marked one off the list today… Marlin / Ruger 1895 Login/Join 
Picture of pepsiblue
posted
I stopped in my local shop today. While I was looking around one of the guys walks out of the back, carrying a stainless lever action. Turns out to be a Ruger 1895 Trapper with a threaded 16” barrel. It had a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4x12 scope on it that looks ridiculous. I will probably keep the scope, maybe sell it, but it’s definitely coming off of that rifle. Overall, the gun looks really nice, and they gave me a price of $1075 out the door. A quick glance on GunBroker made me feel like that was a good enough deal, so it went on layaway! I’m not sure if I will go back with peep sights, or put a smalllpvo, or a red dot. Any experience or suggestions, or pictures would be appreciated!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a nice rifle! A friend has an older blued Marlin in 45-70 and it is a blast to shoot. Handloading really brings out the fun.

I like a red dot on these kind of rifles. He has a Vortex Venom on his 1895 and it holds zero just fine under the heaviest cartridges. Both of us shoot the rifle significantly better with the red dot than with the irons.

Here's my Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. with a red dot. I find it much more versatile with my ageing eyes than the irons.

The small reflex sight doesn't change the balance of the rifle, and doesn't get in the way. While it spoils the traditional look of a pure lever gun, I find it very useful for me, and the 200 yard maximum range of the cartridge.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good pickup. I concur a red dot is a good practical choice. My buddy lives in Iowa so he has to shoot straight walked cartridges and I sent him my original Deltapoint. He hated it just like I thought he would. Not the dot, but that particular dot. (I will never forgive Leupold for that pos) He then got a better dot and doesn’t miss. Great deer hunting combo.

Nowadays there are much better mounting options though. Mounts that use your drilled and tapped receiver and the optic goes right on. Keeps you from the rail to a mount to the optic route. Just mount and optic. Takes out one layer. If you go peep sights I’m a huge fan of Ranger Precision. Most of my Henry’s wear these.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
The original peep sight and base were not included even tho the box and owners manual are. Evidently the previous owner lost or forgot to put them in the box. Looks like a used replacement set is $75-100 on eBay. I’ll reach out to Ruger and see what they say about a replacement too. Before I spend $100 on it, I’ll probably just by a red dot base as mentioned! Thanks for the info and the pics!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given the ballistics of 45-70, red dot or Skinner sights would be a good choice. If you want to push it ballistically, Hornady LeverEvolution ammo will give more range.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16101 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Congrats! As you may already know, or will soon find out, 45-70 is never unsatisfying to shoot.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Over the past year I too snagged a stainless Marlin 1895 in .45/70. I’ve been contemplating a red dot as well. I have a set of skinner for stainless for a reasonable price if anyone needs a set.

Posts: 6016 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phoenix Weaponry makes a great, low profile mount for an RMR that uses existing holes. I use this on a Henry 44mag.

https://www.phoenixweaponry.co...Dot-Mount-p289171111

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
10x…..sent you an email!
TampaSig….. thanks for that info and link. I’ll definitely check it out!

Arc.
___

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Congrats! As you may already know, or will soon find out, 45-70 is never unsatisfying to shoot.

The only "unsatisfying" thing about the 45-70 is the cost of ammo. $2.50 per round and up, definitely limits the amount of fun you can have.

Posts: 105 | Registered: November 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rbdub474
posted Hide Post
I put a rail/sight set from Midwest Industries on mine. I am using a Trijicon MRO on a Scalarworks low mount. Jmac Customs Keymo brake and Dead Air Primal can. Extremely fun to shoot, but factory ammo isn't cheap. So reloading is a must for me.

Posts: 839 | Location: East Central MO | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’m sure I would be more accurate with a red dot but it just hurts my soul to even think about putting one on a lever action.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7947 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post