SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    In this day and age of fancy drop-in match AR triggers, do folks still use the old mil-spec trigger anymore?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In this day and age of fancy drop-in match AR triggers, do folks still use the old mil-spec trigger anymore? Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
You don't have to go broke buying the real fancy ones like Geissele, or Timney, or CMC... I see for 80 to 90 bucks, you can have very good triggers from AIM or PSA. They are definitely a step above the mil-spec ones, with 3.5-lb pull and clean break. So, why use mil-spec trigger?

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All but one of my ARs has a mil-spec trigger in it. The only one that doesn't has an ALG mil-spec+. I have never cared for an upgraded trigger; not for any reason in particular, but I am actually glad I don't; saves me some money. I am of the belief that no matter what trigger you've got, it's very likely you'll regularly run into a guy who'll outshoot you with a mil-spec. That's not why I don't bother with upgraded triggers, but I think it's a relevant note.

Posts: 2087 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used one to keep proficient while on active duty. The M16A2 and M4s have a pull that increases every shot for 3 rounds in semi-auto because of the silly three-round burst mechanism. I believe that's one of the reasons the Army is shifting to the M4A1s, which have a consistent trigger pull in semi-auto and can also fire full auto (no bursts). I suspect a lot of LEOs probably have to use stock military style triggers as well. I've run stock military triggers a lot, and am comfortable with them, but have changed them out for better triggers in a couple of my ARs.

Posts: 152 | Registered: December 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I'm good either way.
But yeah, for less than $100 you can get a decent trigger so why not.
I'm using a CMC trigger at the moment and have been looking at two stage triggers instead.
Larue used to have the MBA2 for $85 but are now $120
The Centurion Arms one is $95 and has gotten good reviews.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All my AR's have factory triggers, PTR and Sig. IF I assemble my own I normally use ALG mil-spec. The last two have been MWI drop in kits with the LPK included. I picked them up on sale a while back.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102278140/

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I think “mil-spec” triggers belong in the military weapons they are spec’ed for.

For the civilian market, a mil-spec trigger in an AR is like a 1911 with no beavertail grip safety. We actually know how make them better, so why not sell them that way. I can guarantee the number of people clamoring for a mil-spec trigger for their new blaster are few and far between.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As compared to all the actual milspec triggers I’ve used in issued 3 round burst M16A2s and M4s, I find civilian AR semi automatic “milspec” triggers to be quite serviceable. I used a little polishing compound on my SBR with a RRA lower parts kit. Have a few PSA lowers with decent triggers, put together a semi-clone build of the “CAR-15” I was issued in the Ranger Bn early 90s with period Colt parts and that one has an excellent trigger.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I use a Mil Spec trigger in all my ARs. I got used to it when I was in the Army and find it serves me well.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
I’m nothing special in terms of proficiency and don’t have operator status but I like to use PSA EPT triggers in my plane Jane builds and like Larue MBTs and G triggers in hunting or more precision guns.

It’s really incredible the value and the availability of good AR triggers that are plug and play…no gunsmith involved.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I've got PSA EPT triggers in mine, find them to be smoother than the mil-spec ones for not a great deal more coin.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
My favorite AR has a box stock mil-spec trigger in it from a Rock River lower parts kit.

Best AR trigger I have shot.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
"mil-spec" has never meant "better", merely purpose driven.

Occasionally purpose driven is also better, but not always.

I use what I like amongst what's best. If that includes mil-spec parts it's a coincidence.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I think I have one SSA which came with my AAC PDW, but everything else I have is some variation of Larue's MBT-2S.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Mostly mil-spec. It's all I've known. I do have a RRA 2-stage, but I rarely shoot that rifle.

I have a saying...

A "match" trigger can make you shoot better, but it doesn't make you a better shooter.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Most of my many many thousands of rounds down range are with a mil-spec trigger. Thus, I prefer it. In fact, on a defensive gun, I ONLY use mil spec triggers. I've got expensive triggers on my scoped guns, but I don't really care for them, to be honest.

I have BCM PNT, ALG ACT, and PSA EPT triggers. They all are the same. Same feel, same smoothness. I probably will gravitate towards the PSA triggers since they were free with the lowers I bought. Saves me $60-$80, and they are just as good as the BCM or ALG triggers.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've had mil-spec triggers that were excellent, and others that felt like you were dragging the engagement surfaces through a gravel driveway. We just got a bunch of new Sig M400s at work, and I shot them all. There is noticeable variance between the feel of the triggers on different guns, even though they're all exactly the same. I'm very happy with the one I ended up with, but there were some in there that just didn't live up to my standards. They were perfectly functional, mind you, but nowhere near as smooth or crisp. I have no problem with a good mil-spec trigger, but I can't abide a bad one.

For my personal guns I like the Larue MBT2. I have several, and have yet to have a complaint about any of them.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My AR and AR pistol both have the same ALG optimized mil-spec trigger (I think french vanilla). I installed myself because I'm a big fan of keeping my triggers identical. I could definitely feel the difference from the stock triggers, and while I'm sure I would notice higher-end triggers even more, I was fine with hitting my sweet spot quickly.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
In an AR kept solely for the purposes of home defense, I think an ALG QMS or ACT trigger is perfectly fine. If a man wants to invest the money, though, the Geissele SSA is sweet as Tupelo honey.

In the nine years I've owned my home defense Colt LE6920, I've gone from the stock trigger, to the ALG QMS, to the ALG ACT, and finally, to the Geissele SSA.

The stock trigger of this rifle, as with all mil-spec AR triggers, was nowhere near perfect. It didn't have creep. No, you would have to describe it as something else; how about layovers at an airport? Yeah, that's more fitting. Roll Eyes

So, it had to go. I installed a QMS. That was fifty bucks well-spent. There was almost no perceptible creep in it and if I was dilligent and made sure the hammer/sear contact suface was greased, there was no- and I do mean no creep. Slightly over six pounds. Very nice.

I was curious about the advertised advantage of the ACT with its "differential coatings" of nickel-boron and nickel-teflon and got a great deal on one at a Christmas sale and didn't pay much more than the fifty I had laid out for the QMS. As Tiny Tim might say, "God bless us, everyone, but especially, the geeky engineers of the world." Naturally, I lubricated the contact surfaces, but after shooting much and being neglectful of cleaning and with no visible lubricant on the contact surfaces, this trigger still broke at under six pounds. For a rifle intended purely for defending one's home, with only close range, iron sights shots (I don't like any kind of optic on an AR for close-in shots, and that includes 1X red dot sights. The damn things just get in my way) the ACT is probably optimal.

But, Geissele knows how to have a sale and perhaps three years ago, Geissele had a sale on SSA/SSE triggers, selling them for about 175 bucks. I just couldn't pass this up, and an SSA is what's in this rifle now, and there's no need to make any further changes. As a matter of fact, I sometimes think that in this rifle, I should have stuck with the ACT. I imagine the likely scenario- being woken from a sound sleep, hurriedly readying your rifle, adrenaline trying to overtake the fog of sleep. One's fine motor functions would be out the window for some time. The SSA, sweet as it is, might be a bit too light in such circumstances.

So, yes, a properly lubricated ALG QMS, (QMS stands for Quality Mil-Spec) or equivalent trigger from another manufacturer still has a place in the AR world. I wouldn't want such triggers on anything resembling a precision AR, but I think you lose little to nothing with such triggers in the home defense scenario.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107259 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I've had mil-spec triggers that were excellent, and others that felt like you were dragging the engagement surfaces through a gravel driveway. We just got a bunch of new Sig M400s at work, and I shot them all. There is noticeable variance between the feel of the triggers on different guns, even though they're all exactly the same. I'm very happy with the one I ended up with, but there were some in there that just didn't live up to my standards. They were perfectly functional, mind you, but nowhere near as smooth or crisp. I have no problem with a good mil-spec trigger, but I can't abide a bad one.

agree

you just have to assess the specific one you get and go from there

a lot of shooters quest to get their ARs to be 'precision' rifles. no issue with that goal. but the typical machining of a 'mil-spec' trigger won't get you there IME. but if you are doing largely action type shooting ... IME you're firing so quick, fast follow ups etc that the quality difference isn't noticeable.

the flip side -- when you go on the various discussion boards and read about people having 'issues' with their trigger... it usually isn't a mil-spec one they are talking about.

long story short -- options / choices are great

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have found nothing better for my preferences in a serious purposes weapon than the ACT. I don’t want a too-light pull weight and prefer a bit of creep before letoff in such guns. What I find unacceptable is a rough, inconsistent pull, and have replaced factory triggers for that reason. A mil-spec trigger doesn’t have to be like that, but some are.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post