SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Opinions on BUIS?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on BUIS? Login/Join 
Picture of pepsiblue
posted
Looking for a nice set, 99% sure I want metal. I know Troy's used to be king, but is that still true?

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Magpul MBUS Pro's.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 973 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still prefer how Troy's lock in the up position. Spikes makes some nice ones, depends if you want micro or something more robust. Magpul pros are also nice, but do not lock in the up position.

Posts: 1142 | Location: Phila Area | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I think locking in the up position is a good idea? The Pro's look good online, but I have never seen any in person.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Magpul pros are nice, but I prefer them to be locked. Going through brush / cover can inadvertently flip them down when you need them.

Posts: 1142 | Location: Phila Area | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Troy flip ups for me.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I really like and use Griffin Armament and Knights Armament MIcro BUIS. Midwest has what looks like a decent set out as well.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the fine front post on the MBUS Pro. You have to look at the purpose of iron sights on a gun with an optic. I think most of the common, quality optics are matured to a point that the irons are true emergency sights. In that case, the plastic MBUS are obviously the sweet spot. They cost next to nothing and they work. Everything else is a bonus in materials, features, or both. A gun without optics, maybe a different story.

I have MBUS Pros on my duty and HD guns, Sig's factory set on my MCX, and either Colt carry handles or plastic MBUS on everything else.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The magpul pros are very nice - I can recommend as well- on my favorite rifle though I switched to a generic 45 offset set from amazon a few years ago and just finally decided to give 45 degree rds a chance -

I'm not a 3 gun guy and certainly not an operator so its likely overkill for my use - but I sure would like one rifle setup wit a nice optic and buis so figured dual optics (hopefully) ftw - hoping its easier for a rapid transition

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Magpul Pro

Metallic, and no sharp edges when sights are folded. The rear sight has a very low profile when folded.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107578 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
HK style Troys.
Magpul Pros are nice but I prefer the lock of the Troy and the HK sight picture.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Magpul Pro

Metallic, and no sharp edges when sights are folded. The rear sight has a very low profile when folded.

Any issue with them staying "up"?

Arc.
___

posted Hide Post
I have a Yankee Hills issued to me on my issued 11.5” Colt. That has been banged around on calls, raids, and in and out of a patrol car everyday. Nary an issue.

I have a Troy on my own 10.5” SBR that has been a great sight as well. I don’t have a red dot on that rifle so it is used everytime I shoot it.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I'm also a big fan of the Magpul MBUS Pro. They stay up, but I also use my BUIS as true "back up" sights. I'd guess if they were used in a dedicated fashion, they would inevitably fold when you didn't want them to in brush or working obstacles/barricades...but then again maybe a fixed sight makes more sense in that scenario.

I've never understood the Troy fascination, but people seem to love them. I had a set and sold them off quickly in favor of the MBUS Pro. Maybe that's just my eyes speaking, but I also found the MBUS Pro to be much more refined.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9690 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If we are really talking BU sights then I prefer the magpul polymer ones. cheap and tough. work well enough for the purpose and priced for the odds that I need them (which I consider near zero on my serious rifles with an aimpoint) and the number of guns they have to go on.
But when I want metal ones I use the troy HK ones.
FWIW.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a freakin weirdo for irons but I like the HK 416 sets ($90ish) on my dedicated iron sight guns. For flips I like a pri hooded hk style front and a Scar rear. Worth what you paid for it and disclaimer up front.

Troys are good sights and have great CS should you actually need it. I've heard good things about MBUS pros but dont have any time behind them. If you are just checking the box on a range rifle for sights standard MBUS are fine.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Knights for me front and rear.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prefer the m4 style Troys. Recently picked up a set of the new sites from Midwest industries. I like thm, but not as much as the Troys.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Swordknives
posted Hide Post
I have 2 rear troy flip up sights I was selling for $50 each, email me if you are interested.

Its this one btw.
https://troyind.com/products/rear-folding-sight-blk

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Posts: 1401 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My various ARs are currently 50/50 between Troys and the cheaper MBUS sights.

The MBUS sights work, as backups. But I prefer the USGI-style Troys.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post