SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    BULA M-14 - opinions wanted
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BULA M-14 - opinions wanted Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
Working on the bucket list the M-14 comes to mind.
Ever since I was a little kid I wanted a real one. I had my toy battery operated M-14 back then but now I might want the real thing.

I see the BULA make and read good reviews. Any hands on experience with this brand?
The M21 model appeals to me, but the weight worry's me. I must admit though at my age I won't be running and gunning, more like sit and shoot rather than run and gun.

Can't decide weather the M-14 or a Scar 17.
The M-14 does pull at my heart strings. I'm a sucker for a nice walnut stock.

Posts: 4631 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Member benny6 should be along shortly. He has extensive experience with the M14 in general, and with Bula specifically.

Posts: 32532 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Iron sights or do you plan to scope it?

M14s are cool but shoehorning an optic on to them looks convoluted.

I would consider an Larue PredatOBR along with the SCAR.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I love my SCAR-17 - I think it's the best option for a 7.62x51 fighting weapon. It's lighter weight, rugged, reliable, and made for mounting modern accessories. I'm planning to go after some wild hogs with mine. And it's a heck of a lot of fun at the range.

But, by golly, if you've always wanted an M-14, then go for it and don't look back! Wink

If you're looking for a rifle for range fun, where the weight won't be a bother, then... Why not?

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
M14s are cool but shoehorning an optic on to them looks convoluted.

Depends on the optic. Unmagnified optics like Aimpoints and Eotechs are easily added to a M14 using an Ultimak rail.

Same with magnified scout scopes.

But traditional magnified scopes are a bit more work, requiring a side mount as well as a cheek riser.

Posts: 32532 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
more like sit and shoot rather than run and gun

Weight only comes into play with transporting the rifle between car & shooting bench, and between safe & car. Once the rifle is on the bench, the heavier the rifle makes for easier shooting.

Consider what distances and accuracy you are expecting. Longer target distances, greater accuracy requirements, and/or less-than-stellar eyesight contribute to a scope as a sighting device. If this is the case, an M-14 isn't the optimal platform. Sure, a scope can be attached to an M-14, but it's not ideal.

If you're looking for an accurate semi-auto in 308 (or other intermediate-length action) that easily uses a scope, then the door opens substantially for options.

Posts: 7879 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
At this point I'm leaning towards no optical sights, but I don't want to box myself in if I change my mind.
The scout scope setups look ridicules to me.
The club I belong to has a 600 yard range. That would be my limit.
I have plenty of synthetic stocked guns, I warm up to the guns I own that have wood and steel.

Posts: 4631 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Bula keeps getting better and better. They recently brought on another experienced rifle builder to build and oversee QC so Jeff could move on to marketing.

90% of the parts are forged versus 90% cast on Springfield rifles.

Here are a list of forged parts that I know of for sure, all made in the USA out of US steel:
-Receiver
-Operating rod
-Trigger housing
-Hammer
-Trigger guard
-Gas cylinder
-Bolt
-Barrel (obviously)

Here are parts that are cast:
-Bolt stop
-Trigger & sear
-Safety

Unsure if cast or forged:
-extractor
-cartridge clip guide
-flash suppressor
-rear sight assembly

Here are the parts that are cast on Springfield Armory (SAI) rifles:
-Receiver
-Trigger group (most parts, if not all)
-Gas cylinder
-Operating rod
-Extractor
-Bolt stop
-Clip guide

The only parts I personally know of for sure that are forged on SAI rifles are the bolt and the barrel.

Although it will never be confirmed, it's rumored that the SAI receiver castings come out of Canada and the other castings come out of Wayne Machine in Taiwan. Final machining is done in the US.

I haven't handled any of the Bula rifles built by their current builder(s) but I suspect they are good to go. I talk to him regularly and he's a good guy and very helpful if there's an issue.

Bula receivers are on par with LRB receivers in dimensional correctness and surface finish, which is excellent. Bolt to receiver fitment is very good and only minor fitting is required to obtain optimal surface contact.

Let me know if you want one and I can order it for you and inspect it first hand before it gets to you.

The M21 DMR is the best for optics and irons. The XM21 is optics only and has no rear sight pocket for rear sights.

Their barrels are cheap (in price) but I rate them in the same quality as Springfield Armory barrels which is not a bad thing.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5415 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd get the SCAR 17, but I have no nostalgia for an M1A. I think you should get the Bula M21DMR, I just checked it out and it looks fantastic with the wood stock, rail on the receiver, irons and a good price (I was expecting more $)

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Here's my personal M21 DMR that I built myself from all Bula parts. I highly recommend one of the optics ready receivers if you plan on scoping your rifle in the future or from the start. It makes life a whole lot easier.

Here's my personal standard Bula M14 with GI profile 19.25" barrel and a M14.CA scout hand guard.

This is one of their XM21 optics only CBR rifles with the AG composites carbon fiber CBR stock.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5415 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put a Camp Perry special barreled receiver last summer for someone that was not super M14 savvy but always wanted an M14 type rifle. Bula receiver, stripped bolt and GI profile barrel. Assembled the rest with GI H&R parts.

Grouped well and ran 100% but had an issue that required excessive windage so it went back to Bula. Jeff explained the issue, replaced the barrel and returned it.

Still runs 100%, shoots decent groups with no windage required and the owner just loves it.

It now wears an ARMS 18 and a 3-9 Leupold.

Based on that, Bula gets a thumbs up from me.

Posts: 927 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After reading many reviews about the Bula I bought one last summer. Benny did several reviews along with pictures and this helped me make my decision.

I looked at some more expensive M14s from other manufacturers and the Bula's are very well priced for what you get.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: am94pm,

Posts: 1220 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post