SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    The more I shop for new bolt action, the more I love my Swede
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The more I shop for new bolt action, the more I love my Swede Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
The more I shop for a new bolt action hunting rifle, the more I am saying to myself, "Just hunt with your Swede." I swear, my Swede has really spoiled me for today's quality. There is still some real quality to be had out there. Sako, Mauser, Dakota, Cooper, the semi-customs, etc. But nearly $2,000, and likely well over, for it. I take my Swede apart and look at how it was made, how smooth it is, how it cycles, and I realize I will never, ever find the kind of quality in a new production rifle for under $2,000 that I can find in a 121 year old Swede for well under $1,000.

I think I'm just going to look for another nice Swedish Mauser.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, they are sweet. I shoot mine at the bench and carefully eject the empties in a neat little pile at 2:00. Mine's a baby compared to yours (1938). Bolt moves like a greased eel on ice.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Funny you should say that. Same thing with my empties. They end up within inches of each other. And it will hold a group with open sights at 100 yard I can cover with palm of my hand.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
So true. I have a Cooper that is a fantastic quality rifle. I also wanted a Sako and while shopping for one, I was given a deal on a Browning X-bolt Stainless Hunter for half the price. The fit and finish on that X-bolt has more than exceeded my expectation, and I was pleasantly surprised to have found a factory load that clover leafed in one hole at 100 yards. That said, that old Swede has a soul not found in modern rifles.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post