SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    replacement stock for a Ruger M77 bolt action
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

replacement stock for a Ruger M77 bolt action Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I have one with a factory synthetic stock. Not sure if it is a Hogue or something else. I don't really dislike it just Wondering what is out there that might be an upgrade? Thoughts? Thx

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Boyd's has replacement stocks for the M77.
They have them for the older Tang safety models and for the later models.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:
Boyd's has replacement stocks for the M77.
They have them for the older Tang safety models and for the later models.

Seconded.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Are you guys recommending based on personal experience. Or just pointing out they offer them?
I do not dislike the factory stock. Wondering if there is something a bit lighter.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Are you guys recommending based on personal experience. Or just pointing out they offer them?
I do not dislike the factory stock. Wondering if there is something a bit lighter.

I mean, McMillan is top of the line if you want spend some of your money. Bell & Carlson, HS Precision, Boyd's, etc. all offer replacements for Rugers.

My Rugers wear factory stocks, both wood and boat paddle.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

That depends on what you want to do with it and how much the factory stock weighs. Extremely light stocks can sometimes be a compromise.
If you are going to use a sling as a shooting aid or a bipod, you want a stiffer stock (which might weigh more than the factory stock)

For example; I have a Remington 700 LVSF in .223 that came with a Bell & Carlson Light Varmint synthetic stock from the factory. That stock weighs 1.8 lbs.
The rifle shoots extremely well and is a joy to carry around but I cannot use a bipod or use sling pressure as a shooting aid, as the stock touches the barrel when pressure is exerted on the fore end.
I've looked at many other brands and can't find anything that I like that would weigh less or even the same (that would be a substantial improvement).
I've looked at stiffer stocks like McMillan and HS Precision and they all weigh more.
One of the reasons that I left the B&C stock on there, is because in its current configuration, it is a joy to carry around.

My 1980's tang safety Ruger M77 still rides around its factory walnut stock. It is heavy compared to today's rifles.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post