SIGforum
Saw two potential rifles today. 357 77/22 and 77/22M

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/3520069694

December 12, 2022, 09:33 PM
Hamden106
Saw two potential rifles today. 357 77/22 and 77/22M
The 357 is stainless/synthetic. The 22M is blue/wood. 357 is not 44M. 22M is not 22LR.

I am definitely NOT interested in the 22M. I have not seen 22M ammo for a very long time. But still I am tempted on the 357. I do have 2 GP100 357. 4" and 6".

What you think?

Stainless/synthetic. Stainless/synthetic.......

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished
December 12, 2022, 10:52 PM
cas
I had a 357/77 ever so briefly. Handy little carbine, great package, what's not to love?
Well.. what's not to love was how clunky the action cycled rounds. It doesn't feed like a normal bolt action rifle. There's hitch in the giddyup. It almost never fed a round in one motion, you had to stop (or it came to a stop), then push again or back up and push again. I couldn't get past that and let it go real quick.
December 13, 2022, 06:55 AM
IrishWind
Something to think about for the .22M round, when ammo is thin, there are always a few boxes of that floating around.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!
December 13, 2022, 08:13 AM
fritz
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
Something to think about for the .22M round, when ammo is thin, there are always a few boxes of that floating around.

When ammo selection on shelves and websites is thin, there are always cases of the types of ammo I regularly use in my basement.
December 13, 2022, 09:02 AM
gearhounds
For a while, I was looking for a stainless 77/44 but abandoned the search due to cost and still available Marlin lever guns which suited my purposes much better (hunting). Owning 4 Marlin’s, a Browning 92, 2 Ruger semiauto carbines, and one Ruger Deerfield, all in .44 helped kill the desire for one. 2 Marlins in .357 preclude ever getting one in .357 as well. Everything I’ve been able to research about the .357 is either you got a great one or one fraught with issues such as heavy clunky triggers, feed issues, and accuracy if you didn’t tailor your own loads.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
December 13, 2022, 03:00 PM
cas
I took it on as a challenge project. "I'm going to see just how accurate I can make one of these things!" Bedded that strange funky action, free floated the barrel, tracked down one of the discontinued aftermarket triggers... and then after shooting less than two dozen rounds though it I thought.. "No, I don't want to do that after all." All in all it was a very expensive aborted project.
December 13, 2022, 04:35 PM
92fstech
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I had a 357/77 ever so briefly. Handy little carbine, great package, what's not to love?
Well.. what's not to love was how clunky the action cycled rounds. It doesn't feed like a normal bolt action rifle. There's hitch in the giddyup. It almost never fed a round in one motion, you had to stop (or it came to a stop), then push again or back up and push again. I couldn't get past that and let it go real quick.

That makes me sad. I've always been intrigued by these, as I love PCCs, but I've never actually had a chance to shoot one. If they've got the issues you describe, I'm out.
December 13, 2022, 08:01 PM
cas
I can't say they're all that way, but asking around on a few forums at the time, it didn't sound uncommon or unusual to anyone.
December 13, 2022, 09:56 PM
vthoky
I had a 77/22M a while back. I loved it.

Would love to find another around here.

God bless America.
December 13, 2022, 10:04 PM
kimberkid
I’ve got a Hi Standard derringer as well as couple rifles in 22M, I don’t remember the last time I shot the derringer and I don’t shoot either of the rifles often, but I wouldn’t mind having a 77/22M … even though I told the wife I’m reducing my collection.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink