SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Lucky first shot at 600 today with my 308 Garand
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lucky first shot at 600 today with my 308 Garand Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I went to the 600 yard line today to get some practice time in with my son for the vintage sniper match. As I was packing the truck, I looked at my M1 and I figured it was time for me to get some trigger time with this fine rifle. So I took my Garand out for the first time in 3 years. This is the first time since I reassembled it after I moved in 2022. No DOPE for 600 and we couldn’t shoot 200 or 300 because the shooting positions there were flooded so I went in blind. Centered up the rear sight and counted 8 clicks from bottom to estimate a 100 yard setting. Hmm, that setting is close to the 100 yard mark on the rear sight, so I went to the number 6, but subtracted 2 clicks and let her fly.

I've never shot this rifle, ever at 600 and never with this load recipe at any distance. This was my first shot…

I finished off with 9 more rounds. Software indicates that the last 5 rounds grouped in at 2.66 MOA. Looks like all 10 shots came in around 4 MOA.

Not a bad first day at 600! I should note that this rifle has ZERO NM modifications and is not bedded at all. It has a DEMO Lothar Walther 308 barrel that I did my review with a few years ago. This rifle has hardly been shot and I doubt it has even 50 rounds through it. Definitely less than 100, for sure.

From 4 years ago...

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5542 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
I would've packed up and left after that first shot Smile

Posts: 2704 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Garands are such great rifles to shoot. A real piece of history. I have a handful of Garands, 2 in 308, both 'brand new' CMP Specials. Although one was a bit of a problem child they are awesome shooters. Never shot them at 600 yards though.... Doubt I could even see the target at that distance!

Enjoy that great old war horse!

Posts: 2561 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I would have left after that first shot. Nice shootin!

I love my NM Garand.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34431 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Good shooting. Most people see that kind of distance with "snipers" in movies and think they can shoot like that. I've taken some guys up to the 300 yard line at my club. They look at the targets and most will say: "That's 300 yards?!"

Cause its way farther than it looks in the movies!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8941 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Benny once again pre-spending my future gun dollars…

Posts: 1691 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I typed out 2 or 3 different comments and deleted them all. There is no room for funny stories or personal experiences that wouldn't cheapen the admiration I have for you right now.

This is an amazing shot that I can't replicate even at 100 yards using iron sights without dumb luck playing it's hand.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4899 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
The only gun I regret selling, my M1Garand.

BTW that’s a fine group for what it was designed to do

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11488 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
The only gun I regret selling, my M1Garand.

You and me both, but it was either keep it or pay the rent.

I did inherit dad's M1 carbine though, so at least I have one M1.

Posts: 20676 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments and the kind words, my friends! I really do appreciate them.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5542 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m499:
I would've packed up and left after that first shot Smile

Nice shooting. I had the same thing happen, but with at a shorter distance and with a pistol. I knew it was all downhill from there.

Posts: 7111 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post