SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    300 BO--tips on how to ID your AR
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 BO--tips on how to ID your AR Login/Join 
Picture of SIGfourme
posted
Sharing my tips on how to ID your 300 BO so you don't accidently send a 30 cal bullet down a 22 cal barrel.

1) My 300 BO rifles have a RED charging handle.

2) 300 BO mags have a Ghost baseplate to allow quick ID of the mags. I use the Ghost MOAB on my PMAGS. A Sharpie Red OIL based marker is used on the dimples for color ID. A regular Sharpie doesn't work as well as the Oil base.The baseplate ensures that the PMAG "looks and feels" different. MOAB also is made for Lancer mags.

Link to Ghost: https://ghostinc.com/the-rifle/ar-magazines/

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
All my 300 blk weapons have FDE furniture. The ARs use Magpul mags.
All my 556 ARs are black and use Lancer mags.

Only exception to this rule is my 556 Tavor, which is FDE, but it also uses Lancer mags.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
All my 300 blk weapons have FDE furniture. The ARs use Magpul mags.
All my 556 ARs are black and use Lancer mags.

Only exception to this rule is my 556 Tavor, which is FDE, but it also uses Lancer mags.

No 300 in the stable here, but this was my first thought. Plans are still to do a 300 pistol in the future.
Color-coordinate per caliber.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My 5.56 has all black stuff, 20rd, 30rd, 40rd.

My 300s all have Lancer 20 FDE baseplate round mags or FDE 30rd Hexmags.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owned a .300 for a couple years a while back. Never ran into any trouble, even with no identifying marks. I am fixing to put together a .300 again, and I don't intend to do anything special this time either. I respect the idea though.

Posts: 2137 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
My 5.56 has all black stuff, 20rd, 30rd, 40rd.

My 300s all have Lancer 20 FDE baseplate round mags or FDE 30rd Hexmags.

Same here

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When my .300BO surefire suppressor clears I'm going to be more serious about this issue. I'm thinking to paint the whole gun purple, or maybe red.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I tell them apart by location. One is at the range, the others are home. Wink

My 300 upper and my 5.56 uppers have very different roles, so not only do the look different it's highly unlikely I would ever bring them to the range at the same time.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I swap barrels on a AR pistol between the two calibers.(use the dolos pantheon quick barrel removal system)
My 300 has a 10” barrel where my 5.56 pistol is shorter
The 300 barrel is obviously thicker.
Loaded mags are segregated by color-300BO only go in black pmags. 556 goes in USGI aluminum mags

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
My 300 gun is an MCX and not an AR. Wink

That said, I use either Lancer or Magpul dedicated 300 BLK mags, so the Lancers have different floorplates and I've colored in the 300 marking on the Magpuls. Will get around to an AR one of these days.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That top round isn't presenting well. How has .300 been, in those mags? I intend to do the same thing before long.

Posts: 2137 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I tell them apart by location. One is at the range, the others are home. Wink

This is something I’ve stressed before: One of the many (>> “the four”) firearms safety rules is don’t create or allow a situation in which it is even possible to load and fire the wrong ammunition in a gun. Safest is to have one kind only where we’re shooting. If we must take two or more different types to the range, make sure everything is segregated in the vehicle, and take only one type to the firing line at a time.

Having more than one type available at the same time that can be loaded and fired leads to things like this:

Firing the wrong handgun cartridge in a pistol usually leads to nothing more than embarrassment, but sometimes the wrong ammunition can be catastrophic.

But to answer the original question, my 300 Blackout magazines are all clearly labeled.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
That top round isn't presenting well. How has .300 been, in those mags? I intend to do the same thing before long.

Good eye! I actually dropped the mag right before the photo and it unseated the top round. The 300 blackout rounds work great with the 556 mags. I haven't had any issues with the san platforms.

The Swiss tested the 300 blackout round fired through a 556 barrel. If I recall correctly this was a Sig 553 lb with a barrel length of 13.66 inches. A shorter length barrel and that round might have cleared?

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
no .300 in the house either,

however I do have a 6x45mm rifle,

it's in a standard A1 ish config with A2 handguards,

I painted a red band around the front of the handguards, (Commonwealth country practice) to help denote the difference

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10419 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use PMAGs in the 5.56 AR's and Lancers in the Rattler (it came with a Lancer so I bought extras). Technically the Lancers are 5.56 mags, which are fine for supersonic 300 BLK. For Subsonic I might get the 300 BLK specific Lancers with the FDE baseplates. But without ammo I'm not shooting it so...

Posts: 4702 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an ejection cover laser etched with 300 Blackout on the upper. For the mags that I use, I have colored elastic bands labeled 300 Blackout around the base of the mag.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
m3 pmags with sand floorplates dyed red.

Posts: 286 | Location: midwest | Registered: May 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4022 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of BucFan
posted Hide Post
I have .300blk Pmags and use similar bands that gw3971 uses.

Sig P229R 9mm - Sig P365 NRA
Sig P320C 9mm - Sig P320 FS .40

Posts: 1049 | Location: FL | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post