SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Semi auto shotgun for bird under $1000 *** CZ 1012 winner
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Semi auto shotgun for bird under $1000 *** CZ 1012 winner Login/Join 
posted
I went pheasant hunting for the first time this week. It was an absolute blast.

I can see myself going a few times a year now.

I used a Mossberg 500 and while effective I think I could do better with a semi.

Double barrel shotguns just don’t do it for me.

Are there any semi autos worth while under $1000? I remember seeing a video for the Beretta Xtrema years ago and they looked awesome but are a little out of my price range.

I will be shooting between 5- 7.5 shot

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gpbst3,

Posts: 5405 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My boss has some flavor of Beretta semi 12ga. Synthetic stock & a super smooth shooter. IIRC he's in it for around 1200.

Noticeably less recoil compared to my Browning BPS Invector.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15133 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
If you look around and they have them in stock you can find some models of the semi auto Franchi Affinity 3 Semi-Auto Shotgun for under a grand. They are made very well at least mine is that I bought around 2017. The Italians generally seems to know how make wonderful semi auto shotguns these days compared to many other countries.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Retay Gordion

or

Retay Masai Mara

is what I would buy if I was in the market for sub $1000 SA.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CZ 1012. Great gun at a great price. I've had one for a year or two now. Only sort of issue is choke options, but that's getting better. And it comes with 5 that cover nearly all uses.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Street price for a benelli montefeltro is about $975 or so new.

Take your pick of 12 or 20 and have a classy and (modern) classic shotgun.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alptraum:
CZ 1012. Great gun at a great price. I've had one for a year or two now. Only sort of issue is choke options, but that's getting better. And it comes with 5 that cover nearly all uses.

That looks like a really good choice. I've been out of the looking for new guns mode for too long.

Slight drift - can you get a HD type barrel for that?

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
quote:
Originally posted by alptraum:

That looks like a really good choice. I've been out of the looking for new guns mode for too long.

Slight drift - can you get a HD type barrel for that?

Not at the moment. Only factory barrels I'm aware of are 28" and 26". Though there may be a 24". Though any half way decent gunsmith should be able to chop any of those down for pretty cheap.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now im looking into inertia vs. gas guns. I am seeing inertia guns have more felt recoil and could potentially have issues cycling light target loads.

Posts: 5405 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Now im looking into inertia vs. gas guns. I am seeing inertia guns have more felt recoil and could potentially have issues cycling light target loads.

Depends on the gun and how light is "light". My 1012 has shot nothing but 7 and 7.5 shot fairly light target loads with no issue. But I haven't run any 1 ounce loads through it. Gas guns do have less felt recoil in general. That wouldn't matter to me much in a hunting gun. But thats a personal thing and different people have different recoil sensitivities.

Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
why limit yourself for looking for Semi Auto?
You may want to look into a OverUnder.
I use my Browning Citori and kill as many birds as the rest of the group i go with. And if you only have 2 shots it will reduce the urge to just blow Shot towards the bird with 3 or more shells

Posts: 1595 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaMike:
why limit yourself for looking for Semi Auto?
You may want to look into a OverUnder.
I use my Browning Citori and kill as many birds as the rest of the group i go with. And if you only have 2 shots it will reduce the urge to just blow Shot towards the bird with 3 or more shells

OverUnders just are not my thing.

Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
I'll admit I'm partial to Mossberg shotguns. I have a 930 JM Pro that I really enjoy shooting. They've since revamped the 930 lineup into the 940 and have several different variations. You should be able to find what your looking for sub 1k.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Franchi Affinity is worth a look.

Posts: 14112 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beretta A300 Outlander. Way less than a grand, very reliable and soft shooting.
Of course, there's tons of used Remington 1100's and 1187's out there. They're on the heavy side but tried and true.
Weatherby makes some really good gas semi autos and inertia guns. They're made in Turkey but they're also reliable, light and soft shooting.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3500 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beretta a300 Outlander is one of the bangs for the buck going. I’ve owned and shot a lot of different semi autos waterfowling the past 50 years, I keep going back to my tried and true 870s. Pick something from a reputable maker and you’ll more than likely be happy but they all have different drop and cast etc, finding what fits you best is worth buying one that comes with shims for adjustment. I know what works best for my shooting style and adjust accordingly

Posts: 448 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I'd by a used Benelli M2 or SBE, but the Beretta A300 is a lot of gun for $600 (if it's still that cheap.)

Of course, pheasant hunting is a low volume sport so old Remingtons and Berettas and the like are perfectly fine too.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10465 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Franchi Affinity is worth a look.

My Brother inlaw has one.
I Have shot it and it handled well. he likes it

Posts: 1595 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I have a Mossberg 930 SPX and which someone here gifted me a 28" ported barrel. With that, i installed an OR3Gun field kit (also allows light loads to cycle).

Its been an outstanding gun for dove with home defense capabilities. (Barrel swap)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
I use a Remington 11-87 with a 28" modified choke, I have taped cardboard on top of the stock for 80/20 high pattern at 30 yds.

My buddies call this gun "Dr. Death" when we meet for pheasants............

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post