SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    The Sig 556 generations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Sig 556 generations Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I have a very early 1st gen 556, fishgill handguard, AR buffer tube stock, upper receiver has about 9 degree cant and the rail has 4 securing screws.

The next one I bought was almost identical except the upper receiver isn’t canted and it only has 3 securing screws in the top rail.

Next I bought a gen1 pistol with the swat rail and it’s been through many iterations of upgrade.

Somewhere in here I bought a 522 & 522P which I SBR’d then sold the carbine.

For a while I had a gen1 556R then sold it when I got the P556Xi-762, and SBR’d it.

Then I picked up a Swiss 552, Swiss 551 & Swiss 550, lastly en early 553.

Had I known all these new Swiss models were going to come out, I might not have bought anything before the 553’s … not that I have any regrets as the 556’s shoot fine & have good triggers, it’s just that none of the 556’s are as smooth as the Swiss guns.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone know what model this might be?

It appears to be a DMR model. Heavy barrel profile.

Also, I think it's worth mentioning, since the canted rails are the favorite talking point of the early 556 rifles, that the Swiss guns aren't safe from the canted phenomenon. I have a Swiss 553 with a canted top rail. I am sure it happens with less frequency in the Swiss guns, but it's definitely a thing.

Posts: 2150 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Yep, looks like a 556 DMR. Early DMR's had the fishgill and later had quad rails. Here's my 556 DMR...came with a Magpul PRS and I added the Nill-Griffe 550 Sniper style grip (took a lot of work to fit).

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
I think youre right, it does seem to be a DMR version.

Posts: 4454 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Yep, looks like a 556 DMR. Early DMR's had the fishgill and later had quad rails. Here's my 556 DMR...came with a Magpul PRS and I added the Nill-Griffe 550 Sniper style grip (took a lot of work to fit).

THAT is a VERY Cool 556! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8876 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
Did some quick digging on the 556DMR. I knew it existed, but this is the first I have encountered one. Seems there were a few versions of it. As someone already mentioned there was a version with fishgills and later version with the SWAT rail. Also seems like there were 20" and 18" barrel versions. Some seem to have come with a Magpul PRS stock, and others like the one local to me are a Magpul CTR stock with a cheek riser.

Seems like all versions came with a Harris bipod and a tuned trigger. I am tempted to pick it up at $1000 (its missing the bipod and doesnt come with a mag) but I really would like a more traditional 556 like the 556 Classic, the SWAT or the PAtrol versions. Wonder if theres any reason to pick up the DMR and see if anyone wants to trade.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
556 DMR's have 21" barrels and a 1:10 twist

There was also the 556 SCR (state compliant rifle). Could be an SCR that someone changed to a carbine buffer tube and Magpul stock (after all there's no function to the buffer tube other than to mount a stock).

Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
quote:
556 DMR's have 21" barrels and a 1:10 twist

Not all. Heres a link to TGS saying it has an 18" 1:8 barrel: https://www.topgunsupply.com/s...fle-.223-5.56mm.html

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Apparently also a 24" version back in 2008 according to the Wayback Machine.

I'd guess the TGS link is the likely version posted...same stock setup and muzzle isn't smooth

Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
Speaking of 556 generations, there is a last gen (xi) on GB for a good deal right now that I need somebody to pick up before I make another bad decision.

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947

Posts: 1948 | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ultimate Sig 55X evolution?...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnevku6vJrQ
I always thought it was interesting that they so obviously opted to borrow from the 55X, for this rifle.

Posts: 2150 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
The ultimate Sig 55X evolution?...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnevku6vJrQ
I always thought it was interesting that they so obviously opted to borrow from the 55X, for this rifle.

That is the ultimate 552 evolution. KAC used a 552 bolt group and gas system mated to a lower that had AR ergonomics and used a Stoner 63 continuous curve magazine. Heavenly. Too bad it never saw production.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, a funny thing, regarding the canted top rails on early guns: I had never noticed it before, but they apparently tried to counter the cant by milling the underside of the rail at an angle. I can't say that it happened on all, or even most, but the underside of the rail on one I was just handling is definitely NOT square, and it happens to be done in the way that would favor straightness, when paired with this particular receiver.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I always wondered if the earliest guns with Swiss internals were 922 compliant. I assume the plastic furniture is made in Israel like the cheap mags they had back then.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
components can be brought it and assembled in the US and then they're not foreign parts.

Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
Anyone ever heard of a factory FDE Sig556? Found one for sale online, the guy says its a distributor exclusive version. Older style with the AR side folding stock and the tiny flip up front site as well as the screws instead of takedown pins.

posted Hide Post
I just picked up a "used" 556 classic yesterday that is in excellent condition ( does not have a scratch on it) that was an estate sale. Very happy to have found one.

Posts: 713 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
Anyone ever heard of a factory FDE Sig556? Found one for sale online, the guy says it’s a distributor exclusive version. Older style with the AR side folding stock and the tiny flip up front site as well as the screws instead of takedown pins.

Yes, it was a swat model with the long quad rail, right?

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
the one on GB is overpriced. Last FDE one that sold went for like $1xxx something. Unless you place a premium on "unfired" that generation isn't worth more than the later ones

Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
quote:
the one on GB is overpriced. Last FDE one that sold went for like $1xxx something. Unless you place a premium on "unfired" that generation isn't worth more than the later ones

Agree. I wouldn’t pay four figures for any non-xi model right now. heck, an xi pistol went for something like $852 a few weeks ago. Ignore the high asking prices and wait for the penny, no reserve auctions to pop up.