SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Need a pellet rifle for small game/rodent control...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a pellet rifle for small game/rodent control... Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
As far as glass like most things in our particular hobby it gets downright religious. Here are a few that I have experience with and I am generally happy with. You can ABSOLUTELY spend $500,$600, hell &1200 on glass for an airgun. For my needs and uses, however 100-150 is a sweet spot. Just make sure the scope is spring gun rated. The weird and fairly heavy recoil will destroy even a good non spring gun rated scope in short order.

https://www.amazon.com/Vantage...-%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/Hawke-S...-%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/UTG-3-1...2%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-2

Apologies for all the separate posts. I am a bit of a stream of consciousness kind of guy so as I think of it I just sort of “Rainman” my way into a new post.

Also I am trying to provide as much AG knowledge as I can because they are a bit of a passion of mine (touched in the head Smile) but that said I still stand by the fact that bolt action .22LR loaded with any kind of collibri/quiet/primer only .22LR will be quieter, easier to shoot and pack more energy on target.

I also feel that if your ONLY goal is to get rid of some pests there are FAR EASIER and FAR CHEAPER ways then shooting them. Just food for thought.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would stay away from springers and go with a gas spring.
Under $200 Hatsan 95 Air Rifle Combo, Vortex Gas Spring
Under $300 Benjamin Trail NP XL Air Rifle
$600 ish on sale Weihrauch HW90 Breakbarrel Air Rifle

I have a older Benjamin Golden Eagle NP2. It was under $200.
Does exactly what I need.

Posts: 110 | Location: florida | Registered: July 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CS... Thanks for the sound chart. That is plenty.

Will be reading up on all of the offerings you and others have suggested. Will let you know which I am leaning towards.

Question... Is .22 usually quieter (and slower) than .177?

In Ohio there is some requirements that some game be taken with a .22 air rifle, but not all. I am leaning towards .22.

Is 1 better than the other for the intended use (squirrels, rabbits, skunk, moles)?

PS - Going to stay away from the stuff from China and Turkey.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
.22 = heavier pellet, which is better than the lighter, faster .177 (especially the "hyperfast" .177s, whose velocity is measured with very, very light .177 pellets).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Il Cattivo,

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
.22 equal platform to equal platform is always slower but has more mass. Think of .22 in air rifles as the .45ACP and .177 as the 9mm.

.22 has more drop but is less effected by wind. .177 shoots flatter but is more easily blown around. (These are itty bitty pellets so the wind is gonna screw with you no matter what). Also you DO NOT WANT a pellet breaking the sound barrier. It plays hell with their accuracy.

In my completely SUBJECTIVE experience my .22 air rifles all shoot with a more muted or deeper sound and the .177s shoot with more of a crack or pop (think a higher frequency noise)

Keep in mind that while something like an HW95 will surely shoot 50 yards or more.......IT AINT EASY. My practical limit to my skills starts to plateau at 35 maybe 40 yards. Now truth be told I don’t shoot and therefore practice much at ranges beyond 20 yards so there is that. I say this only because while I have pulled some pretty fair groups at 50 yards there is no way I would shoot an animal that far as I wouldn’t trust my shot placement. Others may vary of course.

I am not a hunter or pester. I will say rats, birds, squirrels and rabbits are fairly easy to take with either caliber. Once you get into something like skunk you are getting into a tougher critter. Again with an air rifle shot placement is CRITICAL unless you start talking about the PCP guns that can seriously get into firearms ballistics. I am sure other folks more versed in hunting can give FAR better advice. Also know your laws. Just because you think I am just shooting a “kids toy” doesn’t mean local law enforcement or game management will see it the same way.

There was one other thing about noise I wanted to mention. In spring/piston type guns your first shots might be LOUD. Like almost .22lr loud. This is called dieseling. It is some of the lube or preservative etc. getting in front of the piston end being superheated during the compression stroke and basically igniting. It will be louder than normal if it occurs and will “put a little ass behind that pellet” Smile. It isn’t a good thing but is normal ish depending on the gun and maker for a few shots before the gun settles down. All I am saying is if you light of your first pellet you hear the CRACK OF A WHIP NEAR YOUR EAR, don’t worry it will settle in a shot or three.

Good luck. Hope you end up with something fun and a new hobby to play with.

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Artillery hold (Pyramid Air video)

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16189 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's see if I can get my post count up a little Smile

I own and shoot a number of break barrels (Weihrauch, Benjamin, Gammo, Crossman) but since I picked up a Sig ASP20 in .22cal, I haven't shot much else. Topped with a Whiskey 3 ASP scope, the ground hog population in my back yard trembles at the sight of me 40 yds out. Kinda surprised no one mentioned this model, this being a Sig forum and all.

Posts: 638 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pace40:
Let's see if I can get my post count up a little Smile

I own and shoot a number of break barrels (Weihrauch, Benjamin, Gammo, Crossman) but since I picked up a Sig ASP20 in .22cal, I haven't shot much else. Topped with a Whiskey 3 ASP scope, the ground hog population in my back yard trembles at the sight of me 40 yds out. Kinda surprised no one mentioned this model, this being a Sig forum and all.

I’ve generally heard positive things about the ASP20 but have no hands on with one.

Picture of 2Malamutes
posted Hide Post
I have a Diana 52 I have had for many years, it has been extremely reliable, and I bought it back when the deluxe stocks actually looked deluxe, believe mine is actually walnut, not simply darker stained beech like the newer ones. At one point I had a 54 also, but kept the 52 just for aesthetics. I never bothered to get a scope, rabbits, birds, and chipmunks out to 25 yards are my primary targets, and they always drop instantly.

Posts: 183 | Location: SW Lower Michigan | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Malamutes
posted Hide Post
This thread and the post by cslinger made me dig to the back of the safe. Looks like they have not made this deluxe model in a very long time, this page is from my 2000 catalog, but I am a sucker for some figured wood, and the palm swell and cheek piece just fit me perfectly. I am sure there are "better" air rifles available, but I just have not seen anything that did it for me aesthetically like this old Diana.

Posts: 183 | Location: SW Lower Michigan | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Wow that is hella nice. Rivals my ProSport wood if not better than. I don’t remember the Walnut 52s. Probably a good thing for my wallet especially back then.

Honestly it was probably around 2005 where I really dipped my toes into GOOD air rifles.

Wow that 52 is gorgeous.

Never sell it and if you do.....sell it to me. Smile

Picture of 2Malamutes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Wow that is hella nice. Rivals my ProSport wood if not better than. I don’t remember the Walnut 52s. Probably a good thing for my wallet especially back then.

Honestly it was probably around 2005 where I really dipped my toes into GOOD air rifles.

Wow that 52 is gorgeous.

Never sell it and if you do.....sell it to me. Smile

Thanks. I remember having to special order it in 2000, think I paid $550 at the time, the 54s were going for around $400 then, so it was definitely a premium. I think the ProSport Walnut in .22 is my only air rifle jones at the moment, I am sure if I saw one with nice wood I'd not be able to resist.

posted Hide Post
So I believe I have decided on a HW95 Luxus, HW95 Luxus Sport (con: no sights, just a scope), or a Beeman R9.

Was looking into the Feinwerkbau (FWB) Sport, but it appears it only comes in .177. Is there a comparable model in .22?

So, now I just have to find one of these in stock somewhere (in .22).

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pace40:
I own and shoot a number of break barrels (Weihrauch, Benjamin, Gammo, Crossman) but since I picked up a Sig ASP20 in .22cal... Topped with a Whiskey 3 ASP scope... Kinda surprised no one mentioned this model, this being a Sig forum and all.

pace... I have seen too many people hung out to dry by SIG and their support for "real" rifles due to generational updates and just dropping a product. I really do not want to buy a SIG with no confidence of ongoing support or parts.

The "Boz"

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The .22s are out of stock all over. Weihrauch usually ships in batches. Just need to keep any eye out. The R9 comes from the same batches (same gun) so when one is available they both will be.

As for the R9 vs the HW95 of they are both available go HW95 it will usually be a bit cheaper and it’s the same rifle unless there is some aesthetic thing driving you in one direction or another (gold trigger for example).

Good luck and I think you will be happy with your choice.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
What are these rodents & pests? Just saying, cuz often shooting isn’t the best way to eradicate them.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rabbit mostly, with squirrel, skunk, and ground hogs/moles.

They are destroying my yard.

They all are out early in the morning and late in the evening.

The way the house is situated, the proximity of the neighbors and other factors do not afford me the option of trapping.

The air rifle and feral cats are my best options.

The "Boz"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:

pace... I have seen too many people hung out to dry by SIG and their support for "real" rifles due to generational updates and just dropping a product. I really do not want to buy a SIG with no confidence of ongoing support or parts.

You may be right. I guess time will tell but I've got 3 empty tins of JSP Diablos and part way through a 4th so that's probably 1700 + down the pipe with no issues. My decision to go with this when I bought it was cocking effort vs fps specifically for woodchucks so I was leaning toward nitro piston velocities. Most higher velocity rifles cocking effort is in the high 40's. My sig is under 35 lbs. and fit much better with my old guy status. The HW (R9) is a great gun that I'm sure you'll be happy with. Have fun.

ETA: Hey...I made it to 10 posts and it only took 8 years! Smile

Posts: 638 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
That D52 is nice! Really makes me want to pickup a D48.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWG:
RWS Diana Model 34, .22. With glass, below your budget and a solid rifle.

I have one in .177,

very very accurate,

and quite loud,

much much louder than my Anschutz or other vintage target rifles with Aquila Colibre's or CB's

my Daisy 735 is much quieter and very accurate at 25 yrds or so

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post