SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Winchester Model 61, mfg 1959
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 61, mfg 1959 Login/Join 
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted
I got lucky a few weeks ago. Stopped into a shop that has a focus on black rifles, and behind the counter which has some used items I saw a rifle barrel and the corn cobb type pump forend sticking up.

I asked to see it and it was a filthy old Winchester Model 61, in .22 Win Mag RF.
For $350.00 !

I immediately said I'd take it, and I think the guy was kinda suprised at my excitement.

I stripped it down and after cleaning I have a pretty mint old 1959 model 61. Shot it at about 30yds into the dirt berm and was plinking tiny rocks with no problem. Once it gets warmer I'll have to sit down and see how it is on paper but so far it looks like the sights are spot on.

This is an elegant little rifle, with a take down screw and the halves come apart effortlessly.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle. As a 13 year old wanted to move beyond a pellet gun and saw this rifle in 22 Mag. My parents were told my 1st 22 should be a bolt cation and not in 22 Mag. Got the bolt action that got me into shooting but still have a strong affinity for that Model 61.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1560 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Wow, very well done. That’s a gorgeous little rifle you have there. Congrats

Posts: 447 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GCE61:
I have a pretty mint old 1959 model 61.

Yes, you do. Outstanding.

Posts: 7878 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so envious. My dad had one and it was the first rifle I ever shot. I was all of 7.

Posts: 458 | Location: Ocala, FL 34478 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
WOW, what a great score.

The wood and the blue finish are really beautiful.

They sure don't make 'em like that anymore.

Enjoy.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is outstanding. I have one of the Taurus copies. Great little carbine but nothing like that beauty.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Amazing score. I wish I could find gun shops like that.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the same model 61 from the last year of production. You stole that gun, enjoy-they are a blast to shoot... great pick up!!!!!

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I feel fortunate to have found such a nice example.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Old school and gorgeous. Great find.

Posts: 2694 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
IIRC that's a John Moses Browning design.
In any case, it's gorgeous. I think most of the ones that turn up were used as gallery guns and the barrels are pretty shot out.

Posts: 18078 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
IIRC that's a John Moses Browning design.

Browning was working with FN on the “Trombone” at the time and Winchester’s designers Frank Burton and Harry Crockett figured out how to work around the patents he held.

This one is chambered for .22 WMR and is from the first year of production in that caliber. Very nice find and probably worth around 5x what OP paid if the condition is what it appears to be.

I was thrilled when I inherited a real nice one in about the same condition, older but in the standard chambering. They’re really well designed rifles that work flawlessly regardless of who’s credited for it.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle! Nice score. Shoot it and enjoy it. One of life's simpler pleasures and treasures for sure.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
What a little gem! The older I get the more I am drawn to sweet little rifles like that.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's in beautiful condition. Great score, especially for that price!

Posts: 8590 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Looks beautiful, congratulations

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Have one in about the same condition in .22lr. Great guns.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was thrilled when I inherited a real nice one in about the same condition, older but in the standard chambering. They’re really well designed rifles that work flawlessly regardless of who’s credited for it.

Hi, Bob! How ya doin'? Still in Maui?

Posts: 18078 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Awesome find! Looks like a new gun. Big Grin

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2773 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post