SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Swedish Mauser experts…..whaddigot?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swedish Mauser experts…..whaddigot? Login/Join 
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted
Picked it up cheap out of local trader
I’m going to say 96/38 that was simply put in a sporter stock

Metal looks good, reblued

No stamps or marks like it was converted by a gunsmith/company

Mix/match on receiver/bolt and bottom metal
Bore looks good
24-25” ish barrel
Sights look original to me

Would the bolt have been bent when it was converted to the carbine ?

It will clear the scope with the tall see through rings, just barely

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2917 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:
Would the bolt have been bent when it was converted to the carbine ?

No, the 96/38 conversions with original bolts have straight bolt handles. Their numbers would also match the receiver. Some may have had their original bolts swapped with a replacement m38 bent bolt during refurbishment if there was something wrong with the original bolt, but those arsenal replacement bolts would been number matched to the rifle. And they would have been used new manufactured bent bolts, not straight bolts that were later bent down.

Your bolt has clearly been modified.

Here are some original bent bolts from m38s:

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still learning myself, i am in here to find out.

The bolt does not look original, but the barrel does look like the front sight and the end are original. SO, I don't know.

Go shoot it and let us know how it works.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
It’s a Gevar 96/38. The bolt was cut and welded when it was sporterized. A lot of them got the treatment when they were cheap and plentiful because they made real nice hunting rifles at a very reasonable cost.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
It’s a Gevar 96/38. The bolt was cut and welded when it was sporterized. A lot of them got the treatment when they were cheap and plentiful because they made real nice hunting rifles at a very reasonable cost.

I’d say it was reblued as well
I’ve read where Kimber did a bunch of these, would they have been stamped somewhere ?
Or likely a local smith somewhere did it ?

--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2917 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The factory safety has been traded out for an aftermarket one as well.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Kimber stamped “Kimber” on the ones they did and used Ramline stocks.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm searching my memory banks; perhaps 25 years ago, I want to say that several of the big importers offered sporterized Swedish Mausers. Century Arms, Springfield Sporters, etc. Recall seeing a scattered few at shows. As P210 has mentioned, I believe that they also used Ramline stocks in addition to bending bolt handles, and tapping the receiver. This was not done to their better grade rifles though. Does the barrel have any import marks?

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
I'm searching my memory banks; perhaps 25 years ago, I want to say that several of the big importers offered sporterized Swedish Mausers. Century Arms, Springfield Sporters, etc. Recall seeing a scattered few at shows. As P210 has mentioned, I believe that they also used Ramline stocks in addition to bending bolt handles, and tapping the receiver. This was not done to their better grade rifles though. Does the barrel have any import marks?

No import marks I can see
Probably a decent job by an unknown gunsmith it seems

--Riff Raff--

Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Doesn’t really look reblued but hard to tell for sure from photo. Import mark would likely be on barrel like in this photo on an auction site. Century marked theirs CAI ST. ALB VT

https://pictures.gunauction.co...81202001038-1956.jpg

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:

New barrels too. Not sure on one's in original. 6.5

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:

I think the 6.5mm used the original barrel and the .308 and .22/250 versions got new ones.

I’m waiting to hear how it shoots once ElKabong gets a chance to see what it will do.

Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:

I think the 6.5mm used the original barrel and the .308 and .22/250 versions got new ones.

I’m waiting to hear how it shoots once ElKabong gets a chance to see what it will do.

Definitely 6.5, came with some ammo actually
As soon as the weather warms up I háve several winter time purchases that need to be shot

--Riff Raff--

posted Hide Post
I have a Swedish 96 Mauser. It's a Carl Gustav and has a 30 inch .308 barrel. I bought it in 1980 from an old Fullbore competitor. It has Parker Hale peep sights on it and I used it at the beginning of my rifle competition "career," shooting my first match later that year. In those days we competed 2-to-a-mound and ran from 200 meters to 900 meters. It was an all-day affair.

The bolt handle is straight out, not bent. I have not shot it in over a decade, but now that I think about it, maybe I should pull it out of the safe and check it out. I can probably find my old shooting jacket somewhere.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post