SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rifle sling theory ,
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle sling theory , Login/Join 
posted
I know five guys that shoot rifles and am wondering what goes on with the S.F. members and their rifle shooting.

One fella was in V. Nam after the AR's came out .
He said he learned to shoot with a sling and it's 50% better for him.

Another uses no slings ever but he only shoots at a range with benches.

Guy number three humps his old school deer hunting in three states but never used it for shooting , but has sticks.

Another fella only uses lever actions , he says slings don't help him on lever actions.

So does anyone here use a sling for shooting more accurately?

What's your sling theory?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55234 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It depends.

I do have slings on my hunting rifles that allow me to gain a bit of extra stability on longer shots, in addition to being a carrying strap.

But on my defensive long guns, I use tactical slings that act more like a holster, allowing you to safely and quickly stow the gun across your body when you need your hands free, or to transition to a handgun. Plus they help with the weight when carrying the guns for long durations. But they're not really intended for use as shooting aids.

And on my milsurp rifles, it's more about completing the "historical snapshot" with a period-correct accessory.

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
For room clearing or reactive shots under 100yds, sling for carry/retention but not for shooting.

100yds and over, I use my sling to lock in the rifle whether bench, standing or prone.

I can shoot with a rest (bag, sticks or bipod) without using the sling, but it is night and day difference in my groups if freehand or sling.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3389 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^
Pretty much that. If you have a good rest - bag, bipod, rolled up jacket, tree stump, etc. - then a sling doesn't really give you any additional stability. But for unsupported positions - standing, sitting/kneeling or prone - a good sling makes a big difference. Tactical slings, I'm still learning how to use.

Posts: 7442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I use a 2pt sling on my PCC, AUG, and AR. When I shoulder each, the sling has tension on it, so it helps keep the wobble down. Overall, it just makes me more stable.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17644 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
In the service we used the sling for a marksmanship tool. If you look at service matches you will see them in use. But in the combat courses we didn’t use the sling as you don’t have time for that, sometimes you could use a “hasty sling” where the arm is dipped thru the sling and not affixed to the arm above the bicep.

When I was a cop the sling was for holding the rifle while I climbed fences and I did not use it for shooting in the field or on the range except once, when I reverted to my military training while prone at about 150 yds with the AR15. Didn’t take any shots, I but I slung up for support for the shot.

Now at the range I use an atlas bipod for long range stuff. When I shoot my AR or SMLE (no.4) British rifle I use the sling.

Different games.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11486 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
In the service we used the sling for a marksmanship tool. If you look at service matches you will see them in use. But in the combat courses we didn’t use the sling as you don’t have time for that, sometimes you could use a “hasty sling” where the arm is dipped thru the sling and not affixed to the arm above the bicep.

When I was a cop the sling was for holding the rifle while I climbed fences and I did not use it for shooting in the field or on the range except once, when I reverted to my military training while prone at about 150 yds with the AR15. Didn’t take any shots, I but I slung up for support for the shot.

Now at the range I use an atlas bipod for long range stuff. When I shoot my AR or SMLE (no.4) British rifle I use the sling.

Different games.

service rifle shooter, so a nice leather sling is paramount to accuracy, except for offhand when it is (by regs) stored tight against teh rifle, not used

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10606 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My only use for a sling is to carry the gun in a convenient way to get my hands back to use for other things. that's it. But I'm not participating in any sports where its permitted or required and using it is an advantage.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11197 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
service rifle shooter, so a nice leather sling is paramount to accuracy, except for offhand when it is (by regs) stored tight against the rifle, not used

^^^^^
This .. unfortunately even with a good leather sling, like off the M1 was issued with, age and lack of practice has taken its toll. I still like the sling except when I’m working up a load, which I haven’t done since I put together my AR10 in 6.5 Creedmoor, then my test groups are from the bench with front & rear bags.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5723 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, we (ARMY) don't teach the proper use of the sling and the issue sling is less a sling and more a carry strap. It denies the soldier the advantages the sling can provide.

You can use a sling with armor, you just need a VTAC with the quick adjust buckle, It can help with getting a more stable shot. Especially in the standing or kneeling firing positions. Plus the quick adjust allows you to go between wearing your armor and not while still keeping your rifle in the right spot.

In close a sling can help with weapons retention and transition to pistol if needed. There is a risk if you go "hands on"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
For competitions I use a cuff and hook a short strap on it

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6417 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:

How do you like the cuff? I've seen them before, but never used one.

Posts: 4772 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For 50+ years I only used a sling for carry/retention. Then I bought an AK pistol (no brace) and used a single point sling to stabilize it. Worked so well I decided to try using a sling on rifles for stability. Night and day difference in accuracy for me. Sure do wish I wasn't so thick 50 years ago.

Posts: 794 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:

How do you like the cuff? I've seen them before, but never used one.

Long ago I used a wide leather cuff fastened with a buckle for NRA. Now I have a wide velcro strap with a D ring. Also have used the classic leather sling and the web type for Service Rifle

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6417 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post