SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Seeking scope or peep sight recommendatons for 22 Rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking scope or peep sight recommendatons for 22 Rifle Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I have a LN rifle, Rem 552 BDL Speedmaster 22 LR, and I'd like to start shooting it again. But, I won't be able to aim it without a scope or some kind of aperture sight system. I know I could make a scope work, but I don't know if my eyes could handle an aperture system without seeing an optometrist, hence my hesitation as much as I like the classic looks of a mechanical peep sight system on a classic style rifle like this one.

So far I'm seeing a Leupold 4x28 Rimfire Fine Duplex w/parallax set at 60 yds. It SOUNDS like a possible solution since I want the gun to be a plinker and squirrel slayer. I don't want adjustable or high power scopes, it's only a 22 rimfire.

Do you guys have any recommendations along these lines ? Do you think I could handle peep sights ? My eyes are ok but eyesight isn't that great any longer. I'm also not interested in modern electronic optics. I would for a MSR or modern shtf rifle, but this gun is an old classic walnut and blued steel and don't want to put that technology on that kind of gun.

Any ideas or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look over the Williams Gun Sight website for options for your rifle.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16101 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't help on iron sights, my eyes are long past that. I use two scopes normally on rimfires. The 4x Leupold and the 3-9x33efr. Both are terrific for what they are. I know you don't prefer it but the variable is way more useful across a range of uses.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11006 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I can't help on iron sights, my eyes are long past that. I use two scopes normally on rimfires. The 4x Leupold and the 3-9x33efr. Both are terrific for what they are. I know you don't prefer it but the variable is way more useful across a range of uses.

Yea, those scopes seem to be at the top of the terrific bucket on the internet. The best of the best. Too bad my eyes may require them. At least I can still see the squirrels.

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I think a Leupold 4 x 28 would make a good choice but I wouldn't rule out a small 2-7 either.

I was looking for a scope for my CZ452 American, something not too large more classic looking, so 4x or 2-7 were my preference. But the kicker was I wanted it in the traditional gloss to match the gun and everything now is matte black finish. Even Leupold only offers dull black finish now.
I ended up placing a WTB ad here and someone (I forget who now) replied that he had a Leupold 2-7 x 33 Rimfire gloss black, in excellent condition, and for a very fair price.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I think a Leupold 4 x 28 would make a good choice but I wouldn't rule out a small 2-7 either.

I was looking for a scope for my CZ452 American, something not too large more classic looking, so 4x or 2-7 were my preference. But the kicker was I wanted it in the traditional gloss to match the gun and everything now is matte black finish. Even Leupold only offers dull black finish now.
I ended up placing a WTB ad here and someone (I forget who now) replied that he had a Leupold 2-7 x 33 Rimfire gloss black, in excellent condition, and for a very fair price.

Wow, that's awsome. The best of the best in scope, guaranteed for life, and perfect for your gun with the gloss match. That gun must be very accurate with that beautiful CZ bolt lockup. Pure classic all the way baby. Very nice.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I like me the Leupold 4-12 Rifleman it doesn’t look too big. I don’t like to wear my bifocals when shooting but my eyes Need the help … it doesn’t dominate most 22’s,a good quality scope and not expensive.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5708 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I like the peep on Marlin 60. Don't know if there's anything compatible but something to ponder. 3/8" rail?

https://www.tech-sights.com/

Or maybe a 6x Primary Arms

https://www.primaryarms.com/pr...ed-acss-22lr-reticle

Primary Arms Classic Series 6x32mm Rifle Scope - ACSS-22LR https://a.co/d/etZcbJu

Posts: 3523 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post