SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    The Steyr AUG is Getting an Upgrade Headed to the US
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Steyr AUG is Getting an Upgrade Headed to the US Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted
Over the weekend, TFB TV got to post their video on the Steyr AUG A3 M2 so a US release seems sooner than most:

No clue about price yet.

Posts: 4371 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm missing what it actually does better? Maybe a little weight savings and you provide your own grip?

I'll stick with the good ol foldy grip

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3618 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Better light/laser mounting.

Posts: 10017 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Better light/laser mounting.

Companies seem to be trying to "Americanize" all these guns but IMO the majority that buy them are buying them to be the traditional military rifle they were. The IWI Carmel comes to mind. They tried to make it an AR competitor instead of just releasing the gun people wanted. Feels like a similar push by Steyr. However, I like Steyr and hope it does well either way.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3618 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
Saw that and Hard Pass on the new version. Its the classic Aug for me or nothing.

Posts: 2181 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I’m split, I like to collect interesting military rifles, especially if they were in a movie or game I liked. On the other hand, you can’t only pander to collectors. The new rail is one of the best executions of modernizing a bullpup I have seen. And if you’re not buying an AUG with the fixed factory optic you’re not buying an original anyways.

Posts: 10017 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMO, any updated version is a failure if it doesn't include a silencer-friendly gas system. There was no mention of one in these videos.

Obviously, the big talking point is the attachment of accessories. Many popular top-mounted MFALs (the prolific PEQ15 included) sort of "wrap" downward on either side of the top rail. Those QD levers look awful close to the top rail; so close that their function may be obstructed by an aiming laser. So, there's the potential for losing your barrel removal ability, once you have the laser mounted. The barrel removal is one of the neatest aspects of the AUG, and is even useful in clearing malfunctions, as has been illustrated in previous videos created by these same two guys.

They may shield you from the gas explosion at the front, but isn't that still going to get pretty hot pretty quick?

I dunno. The AUG is my favorite bullpup; I've owned one, and it's one of few guns I regret selling. I want to like bullpups in general, but it's often hard, when it comes to integrating modern accessories. I may be with the traditionalist crowd, on this one.

Posts: 2394 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Aug does pretty well with the suppressor gas plug suppressed so the gas system isn't really a core issue to me. How that 'shield' actually does anything I agree with you.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11090 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you use a Hux Flow 556k or Flow 762 Ti you no longer need to be concerned whether your rifle is a good suppressor host. I used to be a non-believer based on the old OSS cans, but the new 3D printed Flow line is truly amazing. A friend has several and they have been truly great on everything, including the SIG 553 without a suppressed gas valve.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2355 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By "silencer-friendly gas system" I mean merely including a revised valve; not totally redesigning the system. The way I understand it, the suppressed gas plug has the ports of a regular plug, plus one for use with a silencer. Why not have that be what comes in the darn gun?

I understand that flow-through cans are proliferating, but they're still the minority.

As an amusing note: in researching AUG silencer performance, someone on some other forum said he has no problem with the factory gas plug and his SiCo Hybrid46. No shit.

Posts: 2394 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
I guess I'm missing what it actually does better? Maybe a little weight savings and you provide your own grip?

I'll stick with the good ol foldy grip

Oh come on Andy! He plainly said it would allow IR shit and Night Vision shit … and I’m sure all the people who have IR shit and Night Vision shit appreciate that shit

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5719 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought it was cool that it allows for the folder though I wish you could still fold it. I suppose that would kill the bottom of the rail, however. I love my AUG, so seeing new things, especially surprisingly from Steyr and Alabama, is a good thing. The commentary about newer more excited management stateside is maybe the best news.

I've also been looking at the heresy 300 BLK kit but haven't gotten too far down that road beyond the website.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I really seriously do like the new set up and my old AUG clone. The big question is what does that handguard cover plate over the gas plug really going to do? Is the gas still venting the same way and going to take a flame from directly hitting your hand to turning a handguard hot where you are holding it. How many rounds can you fire off before you need to wear an oven mitten? If you did a rapid 30rd mag dump or two can you still hold it? I can do 3-4 to 4 mag dumps on my x95 and not even notice it on the handguard. I still think you are going to transfer the heat from the gas block and receiver plus the added heat/flame from the gas port, right to where you will be holding it.

Posts: 270 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I opt to just buy the factory .300 BO barrel for my A3M1 so it still has the same folding grip.

Posts: 6029 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post