SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I set up my range, Rem 700 .308 range report.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I set up my range, Rem 700 .308 range report. Login/Join 
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted
I know the Remington 700 is loved by many, hated by many more. I picked up this rifle from a member here, bare bones. I have been slowly setting it up to my liking, and after a couple of weeks using the tractor, have finally set up my 600 yard range.

Previously, I had a backstop at 100 yards. While nice, and close, it allowed no one to shoot further than that. So I moved it. Then I set up 100 yard markers, which can kinda be seen in the pics (orange paint on top of poles). I will add as many pics as I can. (Pics taken about 100 yards, otherwise, you can't make out the 12" x 12" targets.).

But, the ultimate goal, was to allow me to use my Rem. 700 at 600 yards. Which I accomplished. I also have included my three shot group, of which there are only 2 (you could argue that there is 3, but I'll take 2 Wink ), but, for 600 yards, at least I am impressed Smile.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bigpond73,

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4929 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sweet Chuckie
posted Hide Post
I agree. That is impressive!! Now that you're tired of it, you should sell it to me.... Cool

Posts: 250 | Location: White Sulphur Springs, MT | Registered: December 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Yep, you're right, I'm done.......

Lol, at least you made me laugh! Smile

Mike

Posts: 4929 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I don't know, that looks like a 2-shot ragged hole on the bottom to me. Awesome shooting. If that's a 12" target, you're looking at a 0.5 MOA rifle.

Don't have a 700, but do have a Model 7 that I love. (Did change out the factory trigger group after hearing so many stories about how dangerous some of the Rem fire control units are.)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16304 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is a 12" target. It can be seen in the distance pic on the bottom right. And if that is a two shot hole.... then I'll take it. Wink

You never know how accurate a rifle is. Even with all the other issues; breathing, eyesight, trigger press, etc. The old adage of "if I do my part" certainly comes into play. But having an accurate rifle to begin with certainly helps. If I did anything, I impressed myself. Smile

Mike

SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
So, reading back thru the post, I see I didn't even post a picture of the 600 yard mark. So, here it is, the orange tipped post next to the tires. That is where I fired my 3 shots from.

ETA, geez, my phone camera sucks, sorry guys.

Also ETA: I was using Magtech 147 grain FMJ M80 Ball. Nothing to write home about, again, showing my excitement. Smile

Mike

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Lookin good Mike. Dam good with M80 ball. Looks like you have a lot of room to stretch out there.

Which model 700 is it?

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6961 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Thanks Pete. That's the stainless 5R model, just like this one:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/pr...nato+24+4+1+syntheti

I put a Vortex 6-24 scope on it, an Atlas bipod, and a few other goodies. The Shadowtech PIG mount works really well also.

Mike

posted Hide Post
Nice shooting, especially for the ammo, and from a tripod. Match-grade ammo and 5-shot groups will provide a better indication of the rifle's capabilities.

I suspect you shot from the tripod to get a better sight picture of the target. Did you have issues with mirage or terrain?

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Thanks fritz! Yes, I used the tripod to stabilize my shooting. There is a small hill about 100 yards from the backstop, but not big enough to get in the way at 600 yards. It's mostly flat.

I did see the heat waves (mirage) through the scope. Pretty neat!

Mike

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
The 5R is a solid rifle, no doubt. I didn't like the "lightning" stock at first, but after using it for a while and seeing how well the rifle did I came to like it. When I see it now with the stainless barrel I find myself wanting one.

Every 700 I've had was good.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6961 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The 5R is great and yeah I know there may be others better in the precision world.
Love mine ~ installed in AICS chassis, Timney trigger.
Lots of fun and very accurate.

Congrats and enjoy.

Posts: 22891 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I am ignorant on rifles and long-range shooting so I just want to say that is AWESOME!

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6303 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Lotta open land there…love it

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

I have 72 acres here in CO, and after tucking the house in one corner, I was able to put the range diagonally on the property. This means, I step out the back door, and at that gate, is the 600 yard marker. That's why I built that road going down the center, so I can drive to change out targets Cool.

Mike

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
This means, I step out the back door, and at that gate, is the 600 yard marker.
That's why I built that road going down the center, so I can drive to change out targets

You could combine your cardio with the target changes. Razz

Posts: 22891 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I would score that bottom hole as a double.

Posts: 1966 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Very nice setup and range
I would be calling in Coyotes for fine tuning

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1301 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

A little off topic, but was able to get my sister out to the range today. The PIG saddle worked great! She just motored in her chair to the beginning of the range, and shot at 25 and 100 yard targets. Not the best shot, but she had fun Cool. Here she is shooting dad's Armalite with a .22 conversion:

Mike

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Very cool.

The farthest I've had on property is about 100 yds due to the terrain.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post