SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rifle Barrel cleaning frequency. Update #2 page 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle Barrel cleaning frequency. Update #2 page 2 Login/Join 
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
What are everyone's thoughts on salty environments? I live on land but am surrounded by salt water.

Posts: 1530 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWALLY:
What are everyone's thoughts on salty environments? I live on land but am surrounded by salt water.

I would be more diligent about getting at least a few patches down a bore with solvent/rust preventative quite frequently if I lived in an environment where salt air was a problem.

Posts: 14166 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post

3 shots at 100yds post 2 wet patches of regular hoppe's gun oil followed by about 8 dry patches. Think I'm all set now. I'm comfortable just running some oil patches followed by dry patches for storage as that removed most of the fouling but not the copper and 2 of the 3 shots where in about the same hole. If I get bored after January maybe I'll try 1 patch of hoppe's 9 followed by patch of hoppe's gun oil and then dry patch out and see. If I do I'll follow up if interested. Could be useful for future readers. Hray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1154 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
...and everyone knows that a drop of cleaning solvent on an AK is likely to send the poor thing into a dismal depression over the lack of confidence in its reliability that would imply.

Thank you sigfreund for the great laugh! Big Grin

Hray, I think you have answered your question. Great shooting!

I have nothing else to add, being relatively new to the long range platforms, but I found sigfreunds description of the AK funny. Thanks!

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4959 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post