SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Is the Sig 516 still a viable option?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the Sig 516 still a viable option? Login/Join 
posted
Discontinued sure. But the used market can find some deals.
Are there any parts that would be an issue assuming I make no modifications?

Posts: 1753 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I moved on from mine because it was heavy, and there was no aftermarket support, or parts availability from SIG. But yes, they shoot well.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
^^This for me as well^^

You could just shoot it until something breaks (which should be thousands of rounds) & buy another complete upper to replace the piston upper with.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 705 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only parts you would have to really worry about are the piston parts. The bolt carrier, I believe, is interchangeable with the LWRC carrier. Think Sig was sued because they were basically the same when the 516 came out. I have another Sig 516 upper on backorder with Optics Planet. Will it ever ship, your guess is as good as mine.

The one I have is heavy as hell, but shoots better than I can.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two 516s that are very reliable. One is heavy as hell as stated above. And one is lighter with a 14.5 inch pinned barrel and a Lancer handguard.

The 14.5 inch upper which came with a buffer spring and buffer was sold by SIG for $600 plus tax and shipping. Had to have a good smith do the pin and weld. I built the lower with the lightest parts that I could find that are durable.

The 14.5 inchers came with chrome lined barrels.

Bill

Posts: 84 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: June 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post